Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2016, 01:39 PM   #1

Spartan Chassis
What charges the batteries?

I have a Power Source 75 CONVERTER that I understand takes 120V and supplies the 12V system.
I also have a Freedom 20 INVERTER that turns 12V into 110 AC power for applicances.

Which is these is most likely charging the house batteries? I began to have a failure on a trip through the Calif. desert in 105+ degree weather. The batteries began to discharge with the inverter on. We stopped at our overnight park and plugged in but the batteries never charged. When I got home the next day I checked the batteries and they needed to be replaced. And so I replaced them. But then after some light use they began to discharge as well. If I knew what actually charged my batteries I'd replace that part too, but I'm not quite sure as both the converter and the inverter are capable of charging the batteries.

1995 Kountry Star 38'
BTW it's FOR SALE!
Kountry 2SUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2016, 01:44 PM   #2

Converter will charge. If the inverter is an inverter/charger then you will not have a converter as it takes it's place.

Edit: looking at your models the Freedom 20 looks like it is a inverter/charger. In that case they both could be potentially charging.

I added a Magnum inverter/charger to my rig and disconnected the factory converter as it is redundant.
Old 07-19-2016, 01:48 PM   #3

Your batteries should charge two ways. From the converter and the motor's alternator. You should have an isolator in the system to choose between the two. I'd check the isolator and see if it's blocking a charge from both sources.
Old 07-19-2016, 01:49 PM   #4

Terry,

You have the identifications correct and that is good.

Before you do anything else, do the diagnostic.

Look at the battery bank voltage.

Disconnect the power supply to the Converter. Did the bank voltage change?
It should have gone down. If it did not, then the converter is not doing its job.

Check the power feed to the converter. Is it solid 120VAC?
If it isn't, fix that.

If it is, disconnect the converter from the house bank. Measure the output of the converter. It had better be at least 13.2 and should be no more than 14.4. If it is not, it is probably toast.
If it is in those numbers, then it could be that the converter has been disconnected from the bank. This can happen when a joint gets corroded or rattles loose.

Frank
F76Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 01:59 PM   #5

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by F76Marion View Post
Terry,

It should have gone down. If it did not, then the converter is not doing its job.

If it isn't, fix that.

If it is, disconnect the converter from the house bank. Measure the output of the converter. It had better be at least 13.2 and should be no more than 14.4. If it is not, it is probably toast.
If it is in those numbers, then it could be that the converter has been disconnected from the bank. This can happen when a joint gets corroded or rattles loose.

Frank
Does the coach need to be plugged into shorepower or on Gen Set? My guess is it does.
Old 07-19-2016, 02:01 PM   #6

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by HicksRA View Post
Your batteries should charge two ways. From the converter and the motor's alternator. You should have an isolator in the system to choose between the two. I'd check the isolator and see if it's blocking a charge from both sources.
Could you describe how I might check the isolator? I did notice when the issue first started that the alternator gauge was bouncing much more than usual as the load would draw from the alternator kicking in to charge the batteries.
Old 07-19-2016, 05:41 PM   #7

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	257.7 KB
ID:	133621
It's called the BIRD and looks like the pic.
In my DS, it's located behind a plastic panel in the bay with the 50 amp power cord.
Old 08-08-2016, 09:10 PM   #8

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by F76Marion View Post
Terry,

If it isn't, fix that.

Frank
I have purchased and installed a new PowerMax converter. The old converter was definitely toast. This new converter is outputting 14.7 volts which seems a bit high. The fan comes on and stays on. The unit doesn't feel hot though. Yet the batteries are still draining when I turn on the Inverter. I don't get it. The inverter comes on and buzzes. But the batteries immediately begin to drain. How would I know FOR SURE if the inverter/charger is actually what charges the batteries? Is there something else I'm missing.
I checked all the isolators and they have the same voltage from one side to the other. I checked the bi directional relay and averything appears to be the correct voltage. But the batteries are being drained.

I'm able to recharge the batteries with the alternator, but not with the generator. Does the generator charge the batteries or only through the inverter/charger?

What would be a good replacement inverter for this model? The RV is for sale but I want to fix this before I sell it. Need an economical suggestion for replacement IF that is indeed what I need.

Anybody got a match? :facepa lm:

Tags
batteries