Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2012, 12:37 AM   #1

What generator to purchase

I have two generators that I have had for awhile and now wanting to get rid of one and purchase a RV generator. The first one is a yamaha ef-1200 (not I model) I take it the 1200 means 1200 watts. The second is an older winco with briggs and straton 2500 watt 5 hp cage generator. Very loud but does the job. The yamaha is much quieter. I have used both in my home when the power goes out but only run the tv and fridge. Both generators are in good working order but I am sure the yamaha is newer.

The question is because both are relatively older which one to get rid off lol. Can the yamaha be used in an RV as it is not an inverter style generator? Should I keep the winco because its more watts? As you can see I am generator stupid.

And what is a good generator that I can tote in my 5th wheel storage that is lighter weight, and can handle the normal rv appliances. Any info would be appreciated.
rangerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2012, 05:05 AM   #2

Neither one will run your ac and any loud generator has no business at a campground. I would hold onto the yamah for charging batteries.
fschambe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:41 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Best approach is a pair of Honda EU2000i or the equivalent Yamahas. check Wise Equipment for some of the best pricing.

The parallel Hondas will run the A/C and a bit more or you can use them one at a time for lesser loads. Each one weighs about 52# fueled so they can be lifter. A 3500 or a 4000 size will be difficult to lift.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:00 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Best approach is a pair of Honda EU2000i or the equivalent Yamahas. check Wise Equipment for some of the best pricing.

The parallel Hondas will run the A/C and a bit more or you can use them one at a time for lesser loads. Each one weighs about 52# fueled so they can be lifter. A 3500 or a 4000 size will be difficult to lift.

Ken
As long as advice like this remains prevalent, Honda and Yamaha will continue to sell their generators at horribly inflated prices.

Four or five years ago, they were the only practical choices. Today, there are many others with specs that are virtually identical to the big two. The one difference, is that they are around half the price. Look at champion, Kipor, Boily, Generac, and a host of others. Just make sure of the specs. Some of these manufacturers also make the big noisy type.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:08 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
With the manufacturers you mentioned, be sure and consider availability of warranty repair centers and parts. Honda has lots of repair stations around the country...but miine have never had a reason to see a Honda repair station....they run and are economical on fuel.

Remember, that you usually get exactly what you pay for. I looked at Boily and Kipor and the decision came dowm to availability of service and parts.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:23 PM   #6

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
This is a timely post for me. With Sandy potentially hitting the mid to northeast I need to look for a reliable generator that will run DH's oxygen machine. He is supposed to only be on oxygen for a short time frame while his lungs heal.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:56 PM   #7

s
Quote:
With the manufacturers you mentioned, be sure and consider availability of warranty repair centers and parts. Honda has lots of repair stations around the country...but miine have never had a reason to see a Honda repair station....they run and are economical on fuel.

Remember, that you usually get exactly what you pay for. I looked at Boily and Kipor and the decision came dowm to availability of service and parts.

Ken
I'm not certain about Kipor and Boliy, but Champion is an American company and parts are readily available.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:13 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
I would keep the 2500 watt unit for household emergency use and buy a 2000 watt or better inverter type generator for the 5th wheel. !200 watts wouldn't do much around the house except TV, 2500 watts would probably run the refrigerator.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:15 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fschambe
any loud generator has no business at a campground.

i agree with this 100 percent. Spend the dinero on something quiet, you will like it, your neighbors will like it.

Our onan diesel is quieter than a whisper with low load, itsa good thing.

A pair of honda 2000's with the parallel hookup is a good solution.

A friend has a Kipur, it works pretty well, and is reasonably quiet.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:20 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
To answer your first question (as others have stated) keep the higher wattage unit as you have not stated a use or location plan.

For your next question an inverter style generator will be lighter and will work fine for a 30amp single phase RV unit. If you have an EMS system and/or GFI outlets in the coach the genny may need a bonded ground (to neutral) which some do not. Easy fix with a dummy plug into one of the genny outlets.

When it comes to sizing and mfgr only you can decide based on your planned needs and budget.

Considerations should include;
Parts and service availability and ease.
Weight / physical size
Continuous capacity rating in Watts
Full load run time on a tank of fuel
Low oil shutdown feature
Non load auto idle mode
Variable RPM vs Load to save fuel
GPH needed at full/half load
Db noise level at full load
RV vs Residential output plug styles
etc, etc
Old 12-15-2012, 08:32 PM   #11

Quote:

Ken
I purchased a Boliy 3600 with electric start just over a year ago and so far it's been good. It runs the 13500btu a/c unit pretty well. And runs our trailer well too. I looked at Honda and Yamaha before I bought this one but didn't want to drop 2 grand. So I dropped about a grand and so far, so good.
C1spilde is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, purchase