Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2016, 12:41 PM   #1

What is this hooked to my LPG tank?

Ok I'm still trying to get a handle on all the things on my new to me rv.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1467657676558.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	132038   Click image for larger version

Name:	1467657727610.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	132039  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1467657751902.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	132040  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2016, 12:51 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Best guess is it's a drain line off the regulator's vent
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 10:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
Best guess is it's a drain line off the regulator's vent

That'd be my guess as well! If the regulator has to vent, that tube will carry the gas safely away from any source of ignition (like that generator exhaust pipe!) and down to the ground (propane is heavier that air).
That said, mine doesn't have a tube to vent....strange.

2010 Winnebago Aspect 28B
RogerRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 03:22 AM   #4

Thanks for the replying . I don't think that is what it is on side is hooked to the tank as you can see in the second picture. It's got me stumped. Unless it has a riser pipe on the inside of the tank where it hooks would be liquid not vapor. It's strange.
Old 07-05-2016, 03:30 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffminsc View Post
Thanks for the replying . I don't think that is what it is on side is hooked to the tank as you can see in the second picture. It's got me stumped. Unless it has a riser pipe on the inside of the tank where it hooks would be liquid not vapor. It's strange.
I see your point in the 2nd picture, definitely not a vent drain. Stumped
Old 07-05-2016, 05:45 AM   #6

Hi, what dose "hooked to the tank mean. How is it hooked.

CLIFF
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 06:01 AM   #7

In my opinion it is a pressure relief vent for the tank. When there is a fire, and the tank gets to hot, the excess internal pressure will blow out that line to keep the tank from catastrophic explosion. When my last coach burnt to the ground, that vent activated and a very loud screeching sound along with excess gas under high pressure escaped from that connection.

Propane Safety Relief Valve - LP Gas Tank Pressure Relief
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 08:05 AM   #8

Wow. Sorry Bigd9! Scary stuff. Do all our tanks have this? I'm going to slide under ours to see. #safetyfirst

2010 Winnebago Aspect 28B
RogerRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 10:19 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by clifford j View Post
Hi, what dose "hooked to the tank mean. How is it hooked.

CLIFF
Picture of it in post 1.
Old 07-05-2016, 11:01 AM   #10

Here is a web site explaining the insides of your propane tank. About 9+- paragraphs down is the description of the emergency relief valve.

The Innards of your RV Propane Tank | Roadtreking

Side note:
When I first noticed my coach on fire, it was well well engulfed. I was calling 911 and my neighbor drove over to "help put it out". Now I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but even I knew a small 5/8 inch stream of water from a garden hose on a 40 foot long, 12 foot tall wall of flame just wasn't going to cut it. 90 gallons of diesel, probably 50 gallons of propane in two tanks, hydraulic fluids, and aerosol cans of everything from bug spray to WD40 were just sitting there waiting to go off. I grabbed the hose and started to pull him back when the front tire caught fire and blew out sending flaming rubber 35 feet hitting the house. Right about then one of the two propane tanks vented sending a loud screeching blowtorch flame of fire probably 25 feet across the lawn incinerating everything in its path, which was right about where he was standing before I pulled him back

Message here is, if your tinderbox of a RV catches fire, get everyone OUT and then get away. They go up VERY fast, and you won't have much time.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 11:54 AM   #11

re your picture of the propane tank, what is the pipe running on the lower left portion of the picture?

Is that an exhaust pipe? From the engine or genny?

Personally, haven't ever seen an exhaust pipe ran under a propane tank, if it is an exhaust pipe.

'97 Country Coach Intrigue
BRex45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 07:03 AM   #12

And the winner is....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
In my opinion it is a pressure relief vent for the tank. When there is a fire, and the tank gets to hot, the excess internal pressure will blow out that line to keep the tank from catastrophic explosion. When my last coach burnt to the ground, that vent activated and a very loud screeching sound along with excess gas under high pressure escaped from that connection.

Propane Safety Relief Valve - LP Gas Tank Pressure Relief
You are 100% correct . Thanks for the info. Sorry to hear about your bad luck with your RV.
Old 07-08-2016, 07:06 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRex45 View Post
re your picture of the propane tank, what is the pipe running on the lower left portion of the picture?

Is that an exhaust pipe? From the engine or genny?

Personally, haven't ever seen an exhaust pipe ran under a propane tank, if it is an exhaust pipe.
Yes it is a exhaust pipe from engine. looks like its is stock to me....

Tags
tank