Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2016, 09:52 AM   #1

What to do while replacing a toilet

We have a Fleetwood Southwind 37U. We are third owners and bought it in November 2015.

We have had some instances of clogs in the plumbing between the toilet and blank tank. We noticed that the toilet itself did not hold water in the bowl and also noticed that the clogs seemed less likely if we added water to the bowl before flushing. I did look at replacing the ball valve seal but the wife wanted the toilet replaced anyway due to discoloration.

Replacing the toilet might fix the issue straight up since the new toilet will hold water. But I wondered if there might be build up in the pipes above the black tank also and since I am going to have the toilet out to replace it, I wanted to ask if there was any sort of maintenance worth doing while I had easier access to that plumbing.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Michael
mikaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2016, 10:05 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikaho View Post
We have a Fleetwood Southwind 37U. We are third owners and bought it in November 2015.

We have had some instances of clogs in the plumbing between the toilet and blank tank. We noticed that the toilet itself did not hold water in the bowl and also noticed that the clogs seemed less likely if we added water to the bowl before flushing. I did look at replacing the ball valve seal but the wife wanted the toilet replaced anyway due to discoloration.

Replacing the toilet might fix the issue straight up since the new toilet will hold water. But I wondered if there might be build up in the pipes above the black tank also and since I am going to have the toilet out to replace it, I wanted to ask if there was any sort of maintenance worth doing while I had easier access to that plumbing.
Michael
Hi Mike, as you most likely know, water is the main key in black tank problems. There needs to be a good level in the bowl before flushing it to make sure the solids/paper makes it to the tank with no problems. When you open the toilet dump valve, with a flash light can you see into the black tank? If one does not use a fair amount of water, and after dumping, fill some in order to have a water level, a "Mound" will start..........and I have read where they are hard to get rid of.
So, if you have never had problems with black tanks levels/ dumping, and depending on your plumbing, you might be able to see into your tank, and maybe not.........Just do your new install, and always use a lot of water! Water is the key to a trouble free RV toilet/tank........
I use no treatment/conditioners in my tanks, just water, and some good dish soap before a ride sometimes in the tanks, just to clean/freshen them up a bit.
Old 01-16-2016, 10:21 AM   #3

While the tank is removed, add a cutoff valve to the water inlet. Plenty of cases of leaking toilet valves and no way to stop the leak w/o shutting off water to the entire RV.
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 12:07 PM   #4

I have read several threads that mentioned adding the cuttoff valve and that is on the agenda.

I cannot see into the blank tank. there is a right angle bend in the pipe underneath the toilet. I am aware of the importance of water and do run water into the tank after I dump the tank each time.
Old 01-21-2016, 11:12 AM   #5

While you have it out, you might try using a black tank flushing wand in the line to see if you can dislodge any caked on material. Keeping water in the bowl is needed to help keep any gases from seeping past the seal. You don't need too much if it is liquid waste, but it is a big help to add a good bit of water (either before or after the "deposit" is made) so that there is a good flushing action to move things into the black tank.
jrusselltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 11:31 AM   #6

Go to a Lowes/Home Depot/ACE Hardware and buy a 'Cobra Rubber Bladder
They come in different sizes..get one for 3" drain....about $12
Hook garden hose up, push it down into toilet drain line and turn on water (black tank drain OPEN).
Bladder swells up and seals inside drain line then high pressure water blasts away.

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 09:19 AM   #7

Old biscuit,

that looks like a great tool! thanks for the tip.