RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2020, 03:57 PM   #15

Another filter ?

I don't add any filters.

twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2020, 01:21 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
IMO the best option to buying bottled water is not buying bottled water.
I thoroughly sanitized our coach water system when we bought it near 8 years ago, and havenít touched it since. All water entering our coach goes through two generic filters, the 10 in elements available cheap at any supplier. A 10 mic sediment and a 10 mic charcoal. Iíve been drinking this tap water for 8 years, uneventfully. Tastes fine to me.
My DW is a great deal more discerning. She drinks only bottled water, and regularly mentions feeling ďoffĒ. Iím not sure if this means anything. It is what it is.

JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 08:53 AM   #17
Livin the Life

Winnebago Owners Club
Thank you all for your responses.

We've been buying bottled water for coffee and drinking water since we purchased the coach. We have never been anywhere for more than week, it was really no big deal.

We are here now for a month and it is a bigger deal (we don't have a toad, yet). We replaced the outside filter on the coach but that is just not doing it. Coffee is not too bad but drinking water is bad.

We have ordered a ClearSource system, it should be here next week.

If it works, it is better than lugging around 1 gallon water jugs.
Blog: bailey18.com
AllanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 11:41 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiteSquid View Post
1st: 5 micron sediment filter
2nd: 5 micron granulated activated carbon
3rd: 5 micron carbon block
4th 0.0001 micron bypass membrane filter
5th 5 micron post carbon

99.9% pure water
Depending on water pressure and temp, a typical RO system sends 3 to 4 gallons of waste water down the drain for every gallon of purified water, depending on the membrane used.

You don't really need #3 or #5 for drinking water. Those multi-filter units are intended for marine aquarium hobbyists, who need extremely pure water.
steve52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 12:04 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Another filter ?

I don't add any filters.
Me either. Can't imagine how we are both still alive. Although there is a Pentair ADC filter on the cold water in the kitchen because it came on the coach. I still brush my teeth and drink unfiltered water in the lavatory. Grew up drinking from the garden hose and survived. I also recall small salamanders and lizards coming into our house from the spring fed reservoir we had as a kid.
Old 01-14-2020, 12:36 PM   #20

We had no filters through the '70's, '80's, until, I'm not exactly sure when we got it, but we've used a filter pitcher since then. The thing is incredible, it just sits there on the countertop on a non skid pad. Full or empty, I don't think it has ever tipped over.

We carry bottled water with us, but only because it is handy to take along on short trips.

I too remember an occasional salamander or lizard in he spring we got water from while growing up. I still drink from it when we go back, but in my mind there is a difference between that and drinking water from places I know nothing about all across the US.

Steve

1994 30' Monaco Dynasty, 5.9 230 HP Cummins, MD 3060, 1992 Geo Tracker.
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 04:16 PM   #21
Livin the Life

Winnebago Owners Club
In my life, it is more about the taste of water and coffee than if it will kill me or not.

Don't get me wrong, I have no desire to die but good tasting water and coffee are real important.
Blog: bailey18.com
AllanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 05:46 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by znt1186 View Post
Me either. Can't imagine how we are both still alive. Although there is a Pentair ADC filter on the cold water in the kitchen because it came on the coach. I still brush my teeth and drink unfiltered water in the lavatory. Grew up drinking from the garden hose and survived. I also recall small salamanders and lizards coming into our house from the spring fed reservoir we had as a kid.
Sparked a memory of my Dads hunting trailer, upstate NY. When the water stopped runing, we had to hike up to the spring and pluck out the drowned critters blocking the pipe.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 06:35 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve52 View Post
Depending on water pressure and temp, a typical RO system sends 3 to 4 gallons of waste water down the drain for every gallon of purified water, depending on the membrane used.

You don't really need #3 or #5 for drinking water. Those multi-filter units are intended for marine aquarium hobbyists, who need extremely pure water.
My system is a 1:1 waste to permeate ratio. Also on full hookup the water is included.

#3 adds a second layer of protection for #4 which is the most costly to replace.
KiteSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 06:56 AM   #24
mat

An interesting read.

https://learn.allergyandair.com/bott...-vs-tap-water/
Old 01-15-2020, 01:32 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiteSquid View Post
My system is a 1:1 waste to permeate ratio. Also on full hookup the water is included.

#3 adds a second layer of protection for #4 which is the most costly to replace.
I assume you have a permeate pump? I might have to look into that. I wasn't aware it helped the waste rate that much, I thought it was mostly to increase the permeate production rate.

On my system, with two 1 micron filters and a membrane, I change the filters monthly, and the membrane lasts a couple of years. This system is at home, not in an RV, so my water source is fairly low on actual sediment.
steve52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 01:38 PM   #26

i use the coaches filter, and then for drinking i filter it through a Brita type desktop pitcher

marc
marcopolo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 01:55 PM   #27

We use the fresh water tank for drinking water only. Fortunately we have great water at home and that is the only water we put in the holding tank.
Use city water connection at the park for showering, dishes etc.
When drinking water runs low I simply gravity fill gallon jugs from the fresh water tank tap I tee'd in. No filters whatsoever on our coach.
That may change as our long term travel plans do.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 02:08 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Single use water bottles are so wasteful in this country where plentiful water is so easily accessible. Environmentally, they are horrible, virtually unrecyclable and totally unnecessary, but Coca-cola and Pepsi would like you to think otherwise. I use one of those ubiquitous blue Camco filters between the hose and the coach. And then I have a Flow Pur FP10GKT feeding a water tap at the galley sink. I use this tap to fill water bottles for day trips, for cooking and coffee.

TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water