RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2013, 02:33 PM   #29
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddypaws View Post
"In a way, I wish I had saved each and every story I have read, to show to those who are just now beginning to hear about the problem, and doubt that it really exists, or doubt that it is really anything too serious.

While I try to make sure every motor home and 5th wheel owner I meet is aware of the situation, I find that most people have never heard of it before. That's a very scary situation. "

In other words you gathered information from the highly reliable and non-repetative internet and regurgitate it here without substantiation, but with claims of being an expert?

An expert would cite well documented statistics and reveal sources. Don't see 'em here, haven't found any evidance of thousands of RV fires caused by Norcold despite many searches of the highly reliable information engine that is the internet. (Maybe those evil guys at Norcold are paying the insurance actuaries off?)

Let the witch hunt continue...................
Since 2007 threads have been posted on this forum related to the Norcold problem and their RECALLS.
It was to inform as many as possible on this forum about the recalls by Norcold as you also have been informing people that you have met.
We are not experts just RVers as you but have concerns as you because the situation is scary by the amount of people that still are unaware of the fire problems.
This is not the first fire problem Norcold had on a recall, another was their control strip on the face of the refrigerator.
With the amount of new members joining irv2 the issue is making people more aware of the Norcold problem.
So as they become aware there will be others brought on board of the recalls, the more the better.
We have also posted fires that we have been aware of and there now has been posted in the law suite posts Norcold was aware of at least 2000 fires, more than we ever posted.
Evertime a post is made on this forum it will appear on Google maybe catching the attention of other RV owners which is a plus also.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2013, 02:38 PM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My Apologies

That came out a bit harsher than I intended.

Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:41 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegascouple View Post
We choose the most expensive refrigerator we could find! It's a Fisher & Paykal. We choose that for several reasons. With the doors off it's 23.5 inches wide so it went through the front door rather than taking out the front window. It required very little cutting as it was almost the same size as the 10.5 cubic foot Norcold. We lost no cabinet space. The new refrigerator is 17.3 cubic feet and the layout is amazing with pull out drawers in the freezer and of course it's frost free! The people we had install the fridge just built a frame around it to enclose it and make it look like it had always been there. Here is a picture.
Wow! That thing is a monster! It looks like it's bigger than the fridge in my house!
cvanwieren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:14 PM   #32

Thor Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ok pardon my ignorance but why not buy a Dometic

The amonia system has been used for year and years with no problems only here in the past 10ish years have there been problems after problems. I guess its our modern "HIGH QUALITY" work we see in everything now.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:38 PM   #33
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by F239141 View Post
Ok pardon my ignorance but why not buy a Dometic

The amonia system has been used for year and years with no problems only here in the past 10ish years have there been problems after problems. I guess its our modern "HIGH QUALITY" work we see in everything now.
I tend to agree the older refrigerators didn't have the problems we see these days whether the Dometic or some of the older Nocolds.
I had Dometics in all my older MH's or 7 trailers and never had a recall.
Dometic only had one and that was a shield.
The heart of the fridge the cooling coils have been made cheaper and thiner piping on newer units but costs for us just go up as seems always the case.
The Dometic's had cooling problems because they had no fans behind the coils as the Nocold has, some people did add fans to over come the heat problem especially on hot days.
My 1200 has always served us well with out problems, use to have it on all summer until 08 since than I shut it down since the recalls, still have only the first recall but inspect it before use, now when we use it.
If I decide to sell will install Amish unit for new owner.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:34 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
One more quick question as I find conflicting information (either stated or insinuated) on these recalls. When did the problem with the Norcolds and others start approximately? I have RV'd for years and prior to joining this great forum I had never heard of this problem. I chatted with RV friends and no one had heard but one and he didn't think it was an overpowering issue from what he had heard.

Should we be demanding the media pick up on this story as a national advisory type thing?
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:54 PM   #35
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
As posted in this post first recall on 1200 2007 with added recalls continuing for 2 door units back to 1987.
Most RV magazines have had Norcold bulletins in them since 2007 if people do not make themselves aware on INTERNET or by magazines they would never know thats why many RVers have been trying to get the word out, if someone wishes to not believe you than they have a problem , but we keep trying.

NORCOLD RECALL

NORCOLD INCREASED RECALLS

We didn't make them up Norcold made the recalls because they have a problem which still continues we are up to version "f" by last count.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:01 PM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
According to saferproducts.gov this was first reported in 2001. Different model though but appears to be the same problem.
The info needs to be updated though.
Norcold Recalls Refrigerators
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:07 PM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Is there a definitive list by model number and recall date? I'm still working with Norcold / Thetford over which model mine is. I have the original Mylar (??) information sheet from inside the fridge but the thing is damn near illegible.

If you would like to try to decipher it send me a PM and I'll forward you the scan. Funny how some stuff shows on the scan that you cannot discern on the original while its in your hand.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:21 PM   #38
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Look at recalls posted has all the numbers.
If your coach is the 94 than its on the recall to check.
What is the model of your fridge should be near door frame.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:28 PM   #39
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Burns the recall is still open from 1987 to 2013.
New coach's 2013 should have recalls already done.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:45 PM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkate View Post

Apparently the material used in the cooling tubes in these fridges is either poor material, or too thin, or both. The problem is reported to be worse on electric heat, because the electric element will burn through the cooling tube, causing an explosive fire that destroys the home within minutes.

Norcold has done nothing to solve the problem. My guess is that they simply couldn't afford to.

I take issue with the way Norcold has handled this situation, and I believe that they deserve whatever happens now. When Norcold realized that there was a product problem, they should have 1) discontinued manufacturing that fridge for any future sales 2) designed a new model fridge with the problems of the previous model solved 3) under warranty replaced all the defective fridges.

Finally, a desperate peoples began to search for ways and means to solve the problem themselves. The problem has been so well known that a replacement cooling system was designed and built by the Amish, and it became a popular choice among those motor home owners that wanted to continue with an absorption fridge. Others elected to have the Norcold fridge removed from their motor home, and had a residential fridge installed in its place.

While I try to make sure every motor home and 5th wheel owner I meet is aware of the situation, I find that most people have never heard of it before. That's a very scary situation.
Jim,

I totally agree in that with the current class action lawsuit against Norcold, I truly hope that Norcold goes under and completely out of business. However, Dometic has not done Rver's any favors either. They have has their share of manufacturing problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkate View Post

I never claimed to be any kind of an expert. My only wish, as a fellow owner of a motor home, was to share my thoughts about this situation. Considering that this has been a known issue for a very long time, I think something should have been done about this a long, long time ago.
Yes, something SHOULD have been done about it when it first came to the surface back in 1997. When I first was made aware of a potential probelm, my Norcold 1200 was still working but not very good at all. Sometimes OK but other times it was way too warm. I finally thew in the towel and chucked it out the window. I almost installed an Amish cooling unit but then decided that if I did, I would still have the Norcold body with poor doors, door seals, control boards, defrosting every 3-4 weeks and still only 12 cu ft. of space. I now have a fully functional residential fridge that has performed well beyond my expectations.

Regarding those that choose not to believe, well it's their choice and their decision. They have to live with it. However, there are still thousands that do NOT even know about the problem and are NOT aware of what the consequences could be.

I, like you, choose to inform as many people that I can who MAY have a ticking time bomb in their RV. My ticking bomb is GONE!

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:01 PM   #41
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Regarding those that choose not to believe, well it's their choice and their decision. They have to live with it. However, there are still thousands that do NOT even know about the problem and are NOT aware of what the consequences could be.

I totally agree with Richard we both have been trying to get the word out.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:02 PM   #42

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
I guess I didn't explain myself well. I tried finding reports of individual fridge caused firs and kept getting the same instances repeated. I will research the information shown above.
You explained yourself just fine!

And you're right...it's indeed a mystery why there are so few documented "Norcold caused" fires, but so many apocryphal ones.

Real, true confirmed cases are in fact so hard to find that the lawyers involved in those lawsuits are still searching for more "victims" in hopes of furthering the claims being made. The trouble is, so many fires turn out to have other causes.

Nevertheless, any fire in a rig that even HAS a fridge is automatically assumed by the less skeptical folks among us to have been Norcold-caused.

Go figure...

Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge