Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2013, 10:21 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
When should Propane tanks be filled?

We had our Propane tank filled in Arizona last winter, and one of the residents painted a real horror story about how bad it is to ever let your propane supply fall below a certain level...something about having to purge the tank...not sure I understood completely. Now, my tank is 2/3 full and my wife is, shall I say, concerned. What happens if I let it go completely empty? When should I fill it to avoid a hassle ? Is this really a problem ?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2013, 10:29 AM   #2

2/3, 1/3 dosen't matter, anyhing but empty is fine. That way you keep air out of the line. Even if it goes empty, just might take a few more tries to get heater going.
no3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:34 AM   #3

Fill it when it becomes empty. Unless your a MH with a frame mounted tank. Then I would fill around 1/4 to 1/3 so I did not run out.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:47 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi michguy,
I fill the tank when it gets to 1/4 and it is convenient to do so. It is a closed system under pressure. There should be no problems unless you get a bad fill.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi michguy,
I fill the tank when it gets to 1/4 and it is convenient to do so. It is a closed system under pressure. There should be no problems unless you get a bad fill.
Never heard of a bad propane fill, but would like to avoid it if possible. What is it?
Bubwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:59 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
It's when too much oil is in the propane supply. Over time, it will get into the regulator. Drove me nuts until the regulator finally clogged enough so nothing worked. When disassembled there will be a slight (like sewing machine oil) residue coming out of the regulator.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:19 AM   #7

This is one of those tales that sits beside:

not putting toilet paper down the toilet. :eww:

Using other than Transynd in an Allison. :yikes:

Running on old tires that still look good.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:27 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I thought that purging was just to get excessive air out of the tank and was only required on the first fill. The tanks now being sold at our stores in this area all claim to be prepurged and in most cases are bring sold full of propane.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by michguy View Post
We had our Propane tank filled in Arizona last winter, and one of the residents painted a real horror story about how bad it is to ever let your propane supply fall below a certain level...something about having to purge the tank...not sure I understood completely. Now, my tank is 2/3 full and my wife is, shall I say, concerned. What happens if I let it go completely empty? When should I fill it to avoid a hassle ? Is this really a problem ?
I can't answer your question, but sure would like to know the answer. I have let mine fall below half a couple times with no ill effects. I always used to let each tank run dry on the fiver and it would auto switch to full tank then I would fill the empty one. No problems there either, but the MH has only one big tank and if you run out, you are out.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:04 PM   #10

Empty or 1/2 doesn't matter. We have a propane tank for the house and have at times run it empty. No issue with filling. You still have to bleed the air off just like after you turn them off. I usually fill my RV tank when it becomes 1/4 full. My last MH we filled the tank when we first got it and 2 years latter when we sold it it had 1/2 of a tank. JMHO
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:16 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Propane tanks only need to be purged for three reasons: the tank is new; you have updated the valve on your tank; or you opened the valve on an older tank. Tanks need to be purged because air has somehow entered the tank. Air contains moisture, which is not a good combination with propane. When new tanks are transported, they are purposely loaded with air to help maintain the correct balance of pressure when shipping over various altitudes.
Towing 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
corvettec3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvettec3 View Post
When new tanks are transported, they are purposely loaded with air to help maintain the correct balance of pressure when shipping over various altitudes.
Could you provide links to your information? That does not sound logical to me.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:49 PM   #13

filling propane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Could you provide links to your information? That does not sound logical to me.
I didn't believe it, either. But check this out:

Purging new Cylinders and Tanks

makes more sense now. Thanks to all.

GL Arnold
Old 03-14-2013, 05:11 PM   #14

I apologize Binne. I've been a member here since 2001 and learn something every time I log-in here. Thanks for the link GL. I've known Derek for many years, and he always backs up what he says with proof. I've never read that page before though.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane