Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2015, 11:04 AM   #1

Which back up camera

Hi All, I am looking for a reasonable cost camera. I have a 99 Itasca class C with a 7.3 powerstroke & I am towing a 14 ft. trailer. As I am a Newbie I have jack-Knifed the trailer twice. Learning curve, I will need a new bumper [oops]. Could anyone please suggest a camera? I am on information overload. Wireless sounds easier but, wired seems more dependable with better Quality. Decisions Decisions. As soon as I get packed up I will be leaving Kenosha, WI. for Great Falls MT. Then south till the temperature gets above 70. All I have left is put the trike in the trailer, then bubble wrap the windows & install a camera or cameras.Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank You All and have a Great Holiday Season. Jim aka: triker guy it would be nice to have a camera to the rear of the trailer that I could switch back and forth as needed, Thanks.
triker guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2015, 09:33 PM   #2

A number of wireless cameras are on the market. You'll get what you pay for usually. Amazon is probably the best source for the best pricing on all BU cameras.
I have a wireless Voyager, it's one of the cheaper brands on the market, has a good picture day or night. I've never experienced a transmit or receive problem from the unit, but I have lost 12V power to the camera or the receiver a few times. That is/was due to the initial poor wiring job from Camping World.
If you prefer a hard-wired camera(s) vs wireless, there is a wiring harness that may be bundled with your trailer umbilical cord plug to place a camera on the rear of the trailer.
Good luck going to Great Falls, according to the weather channel it's kinda rough there right now.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 09:18 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
I installed one of the inexpensive wireless units. Great, and less than $50 for everything.

Rear View Camera | 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 09:58 AM   #4
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Triker,
Use the mirrors. If the back up camera ever goes South when you are going North you will have to depend on the mirrors.

Tip: when backing place the hands at the bottom of the steering wheel, If you want to go left, turn the wheel left, if you want to go right, turn the wheel right. It is just the opposite when you have your hands on the top of the steering wheel.

Another two things. Go slow, use a ground guide like DW or GF, or....

Don't forget to keep the shinny side up.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 10:15 AM   #5

If you are jack knifing the trailer while backing up a camera is not going to help. Take you truck and trailer to a large parking lot and practice. Go slow and don't be afraid to stop ,pull forward and go again. Until you know what your doing looking at a screen will make it worse.
MotorPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 02:23 PM   #6

Back when we were using a travel trailer and pickup, I got a system from Tadi brothers with a wireless camera for the trailer and a wired license plate camera for the truck. The monitor had two inputs. I put the license plate camera (wired to the back up lights) so that if if came on it had priority in the monitor. That way I could see to back the pickup to the trailer and align the hitch. When going forward that camera went off and the wireless receiver became active. There were occasional glitches on the wireless camera for just a blip so it wasn't a huge problem. It was a 26 foot aluminum skinned trailer with the camera on the rear wall so there was some shielding of the signal. You can put the transmitter anywhere on the toad if you need it closer. Good luck.
jrusselltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 04:02 PM   #7

Back up camera ?

Thank you all for your valuable input. I have run into a few glitches, I have an exhaust brake that has frozen up but, I have it in the open position and will disconnect the actuator so as not to harm the system. Waiting for backup camera, I think will go to Great Falls,MT. ASAP Got to see my Big Brother! Thanks to all the info I have gathered on this great Forum I will be much better prepared. As I do not want to fill my water tank I will be carrying as much water as possible in MH and in the trailer. I have a whole lot to learn and being a rough 70 I will take er slow and easy. If anyone has any other suggestions please don't hesitate to contact me. Thanx again Jim=trikerguy
triker guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera