RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2019, 08:47 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Which Magnum remote is this?

I'm looking to add automatic generator start to my Magnum inverter but I'm not sure my current Magnum remote supports AGS. Does anyone recognize this model with 3 buttons below the display instead of the typical 5?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190213_164100.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	438.3 KB
ID:	234986  

StevenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2019, 02:38 PM   #2

As far as I know, you will just have to set up, and enable/ disable, the AGS, from the AGS module itself, rather than the monitor you have.
Contact Magnum and show them the controller you have.

Old 02-14-2019, 02:52 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenK View Post
I'm looking to add automatic generator start to my Magnum inverter but I'm not sure my current Magnum remote supports AGS. Does anyone recognize this model with 3 buttons below the display instead of the typical 5?
The ME-BMK manual will have program instructions for the ME-RC and ME-ARC...but I donít think that one is covered. I would call their tech support and get a recommendation. The AGS come in two varieties,,,a stand alone where you set it on the AGS...and the ME-AGS-N Network type...which is setup under the AGS button or SETUP button on the Regular or Advanced remotes.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:18 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
After looking at my remote's menus, it appears this is a bare-bone model that does nothing more than turn on the inverter from the front panel. The only configurable menu item allows setting the battery type. No AGS or BMK support.

So, I need to upgrade to a ME-RC or ME-ARC remote before adding the battery monitor and AGS modules.

Is there any reason to spend the extra $$$ on the ME-ARC? The ME-RC seems to have a plethora of options for AGS (time, temperature, battery charge), so I'm not seeing any advantage purchasing the ME-ARC. What are the "advanced" options on the ME-ARC?

BTW, I have a ME2012 inverter with software version 3.6.
Old 02-15-2019, 05:07 AM   #5

StevenK-

If you haven't already looked at them, you may want to review the "compatibility" documents (several versions at this link). They may give you some idea of what works well with your current inverter and its software revision level. The folks at Magnum/Sensata tech support may also offer guidance.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 07:34 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
After looking at my remote's menus, it appears this is a bare-bone model that does nothing more than turn on the inverter from the front panel. The only configurable menu item allows setting the battery type. No AGS or BMK support.

So, I need to upgrade to a ME-RC or ME-ARC remote before adding the battery monitor and AGS modules.

Is there any reason to spend the extra $$$ on the ME-ARC? The ME-RC seems to have a plethora of options for AGS (time, temperature, battery charge), so I'm not seeing any advantage purchasing the ME-ARC. What are the "advanced" options on the ME-ARC?

BTW, I have a ME2012 inverter with software version 3.6.
Step 1...figure out what “Level” your Inverter is. Turns out...with version 3.6. you have a Level 2 Inverter.

Next...download the pdf attachment. It shows what a newer ME-ARC can do with different Level inverters. Many apply to Level 1 or greater. This pdf is for ME-ARC with Rev 4.0 software.

The ME-ARC is a very worthwhile upgrade. If you have the ME-AGS-N and ME-BMK installed it gives you many powerful tools. As you can see...there are a lot of menu options...so many OEM’s just don’t want to get involved. The ME-RC will not program the AGS to use SOC...so you are stuck with voltage. This is NOT very accurate for two reasons. Lead Acid batteries have a large voltage swing when loads are varied. This means if you simply stick something in the microwave...the AGS will likely start. Or if you eventually get lithium batteries...quite the opposite. Very flat voltage curve...making the voltage trigger almost worthless. Having SOC trigger is more reliable...at yielding what you are looking for.

Anyway...having AGS triggers for time of day, state of charge, quiet hour top off, exercise, etc...are amazing. Having AC-IN to SOC is amazing. Just as an example...I have two 15k dometic A/C’s. I have solar. If I put AC-IN and set the SOC trigger down around 70-80%...the Inverter will invert provided the batteries are charged above the set point Level...so all of your Inverter loads and Direct DC loads are now on Battery/Solar power. The converter is off and not charging. This gives you all of the shore power to dedicate to air conditioners. In this arrangmemt...I can run two 15k units in a 30A campground connection. If I couldn’t do this..one air conditioner would load shed and trigger the start of my AGS. Anyway...you can dream up ways to better manage your electrical needs with this combo. Skip the ME-RC remote. It really has a limited skill set.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:48 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Great info! Calculating the battery SOC makes the MS-ARC worth the extra cost.
Thanks!
Old 02-15-2019, 01:12 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Great info! Calculating the battery SOC makes the MS-ARC worth the extra cost.
Thanks!
Just to clarify...the ME-RC can DISPLAY the SOC when used along with the ME-BMK. However...the ME-ARC makes this information ACTIONABLE. You can actually use the information to do something. I don't want there to be a chance of misleading you.

My coach came with the ME-RC...and it wasn't until after I had installed the ME-BMK that much to my disappointment...I found out that you can't do anything actionable with it. So, I purchased the ME-ARC as a replacement. Very happy with it.

Tags
remote