Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2018, 11:44 AM   #15

another vote for gravity!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2018, 01:48 PM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well. for starters you ask the right question.

As some said There are people who feel it is not as "Icky" myself, I'm not bothered by "ick" so that does not apply.

But the macerator DOES a few things the 3" hose finds hard to do.
50'. That is the length of my Black Rubber Macerator hose 50' the pump cn do twice that on level ground.

Up hill. Yup I've been to one dump station where the sewer INLET (hole in the ground) was higher than my RV's outlet Just now way to do that with a 3" hose.

Regulated dump. about 6 GPM v/s the entire 36 Gallon tank in under a minute.

My macerator is a portable Flo-Jet by the way. only one issue that was solved when I figured it out. Since it is not a weekly used device the rotor seizes when in storage. A flat tool, Screwdriver, quarter, in teh slotted shaft on the non-pump end of things fixes it .
Old 05-09-2018, 02:07 PM   #17

Gravity is generally acceptable to me. We have a portable macerator to overcome the 1.5-foot rise from home parking spot to our septic dump. I have never used the macerator otherwise.

Matt B
Old 05-09-2018, 05:03 PM   #18

The only reason I have a macerator is where I park the MH in the backyard it is up hill to the sewer connection.
redcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 04:39 PM   #19

I have both a slinky & a portable macerator and use both. I’m moochdocking on a farm near Kanab UT and need to pump uphill. I also stay in the desert outside Quartzite for awhile in the winter and can pump up into a barrel in the truck so I never need to hook the trailer up and go to dump. They each have their use.
Old 05-12-2018, 06:00 AM   #20

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Can I get an "amen!" My thoughts, exactly.
AAAAmen !
First thing I did was to remove the macerator. Gravity for me.
Old 05-12-2018, 09:50 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by dverstra View Post
AAAAmen !
First thing I did was to remove the macerator. Gravity for me.

Just an example of how subject this question is...

It was the first thing I added when we bought our RV.
Old 05-12-2018, 10:05 AM   #22

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Never had one till I bought this rig. Used it a couple times but now just use the stinky slinky again, just like the previous 40 years or so. My first TT's didn't have toilets so I'm not counting them.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 10:05 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
I have a clear 90* elbow between my sewer y-pipe and the wet bay macerator. Having the maceraor allows me to backflush the black tank with gray water, and observe the results thru the clear 90. I put the macerator hose in the sewer, open the black tank and turn on the macerator. It finishes with the black tank and I open the gray. Alot of theat gray flushes back into the black tank which is still open -- yes, both black and gray open at once -- I know, weird, huh? Count to 5, close the gray. Macerator continues to pump the gray water out of the black tank and finishes again. Open the gray again. 12345, close the gray and allow the macerator to empty the black again. Do it once more, black goes empty, close the black and open the gray and pump it empty. Shut off macerator and close the valves. Watching the process thru the clear 90 shows the backflushing is working, the third backflush usually dumps pretty clear.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace