Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2019, 02:58 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Why "RV/Marine" for Washer/Dryer?

We're about to replace the Whirlpool stackable washer/dryer as the washer has decided to give up. In searching; it seems that Splendide leads the pack but it begged a slightly different question.

Would any 24" front-loading 120v washer/dryer that fits into the space suffice or is it better that the model has the "RV/Marine" designation?
rvfoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2019, 03:12 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
i love my spendide 2100xc combo
Old 11-17-2019, 03:39 PM   #3
Dom

It does not need rv marine designation, however it is difficult to find a 110v dryer
Old 11-17-2019, 03:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvfoo View Post
We're about to replace the Whirlpool stackable washer/dryer as the washer has decided to give up. In searching; it seems that Splendide leads the pack but it begged a slightly different question.

Would any 24" front-loading 120v washer/dryer that fits into the space suffice or is it better that the model has the "RV/Marine" designation?
This is the 120V Dryer that we bought. Scratch & Dent....big dent in the side....but in a closet you can not see it. Sears has these outlets all over the country.

https://www.searsoutlet.com/br/pdp/w...,&uid=56949543
Old 11-21-2019, 10:26 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:

RVFoo - yes, any 24” front loading 120V w/d that fits should suffice.

However, Depending on how much you actually travel would determine how important the “Rv/marine” designation is. Many RVers never or seldom move their RV and so the appliance would never be subjected to the vibration and knocking of travel. For us, we’re weekend warriors and we need sturdy appliances designed to handle California’s washboard roads and swaying of highway driving through the mountains.

Splendide specializes in this market and I have only heard good things about them so they would certainly be our first choice when/if we’re looking for a w/d.
Old 11-27-2019, 10:02 PM   #6

FWIW, Splendide 2100 units owners manuals state, not for use in a moving vehicle. How many wash clothes while driving anyway? So, a 120VAC residential unit would work just as well.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 09:53 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
FWIW, Splendide 2100 units owners manuals state, not for use in a moving vehicle. How many wash clothes while driving anyway? So, a 120VAC residential unit would work just as well.

I know I would use a washer/dryer combo while driving, and I’m sure many others do. Clothes are clean and dry when you arrive!

But even so, a unit that’s not designed to handle the bumps and rumbles of being installed in an RV may give out or break even if you don’t try to run it while on the road. You can choose to take the risk; I’d prefer a unit designed for RV use.
Old 12-04-2019, 05:48 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I would use any that fit. Make sure what voltage you need as many of us have 240 VAC dryers.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:06 AM   #9

I have more experience with RV combo washer/dryer units than is healthy. One Kariba and two Splendide 2000S models. I had the hand and forearm chewing pleasure of repairing all three....multiple times. I like to think I've just been unlucky and all you kind souls have had no such unpleasantness.

I fully admit to actually using the cursed things....a lot. Four small children absolutely necessitates near constant running.

For what it's worth; the ancient Kariba was the most reliable by far with only the occasional thrown belt.....easy and cheap to replace but a bear of a job due to obvious access issues. Splendide's failure modes have all been electronic so not cheap and no less hassle to repair.

Given that I've been over, under, in, and around these pieces of Italian engineering; I can absolutely confirm that nothing out of the ordinary is built in, added to, or done otherwise to harden them for use in an RV or yacht. That's not to say they aren't robust for the application. They are. But, no more so than basically any front loading washer on the planet.

This issue is quite and dear to me as I just last night finished replacing Splendide 2000S number two. I won't go into the ugly relationship between myself and this particular machine but suffice it to say; it was not amicable.

The form factor used in the RV and yacht industry is in no way special. It is standardized and found all over Europe and Asia. If you don't mind a little internet time: you can find ways to get just about anything out there properly wired and configured for 110v 60HZ operation. For example; the Dometic (RV hardened) washer/dryer is actually a Sekido 4400N.....otherwise sold in the US and Canada under the Neptune brand and some others. Sekido washers are well respected on the other side of the planet.

So, I bought one. The "box" is the exact same size down to the mm so the fit is perfect with no modification. Because of this standardization; all of the hookups are in the same place even.

Out of curiosity; I took the top and back panel off to have a little look see. The differences are fairly few. The control board is integrated with the display/control dial thus the wiring is is much simpler...and, if it fails, can be replaced without removing the whole beast. With this panel removed; I'm pretty sure one could replace the belt with long enough arms. The barrel springs are quite a bit heavier and the damping cylinder is much softer. Otherwise; most of the remaining parts look suspiciously interchangeable. It is significantly quieter, noticeably less costly, and uses an intermittent steam cycle when set to vent...so, no wrinkles. I am a happy camper so far but time will tell, of course. If I get three years out of it; the happiness will go on.

2004 Country Coach Magna Chalet/ Cat C15
Samdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 02:15 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Splendide advantages I have noted.

I have noticed a few things.
The washer unit has a water pressure sensor that lets it respond to no or low water pressure and pause the cycle. Restore water pressure and it picks up where it left off. My residential machines were perfectly happy to finish the cycle never having added water, they were low end units.

It also responds well to power interruptions picking up where it left off. My cheap residential machines would reset and you would have to try to figure out if you needed to add soap or just start again.

The washer is quite compare to residential units I have owned but the dryer is quite noisy.

The dryer is 110 but seems to dry fast enough even on low power.

I have have been using both unit full time 3 or more loads a week for 4 years. The washer throws a fault code every now and we have to restart the load. Doesn't happen nearly often enough to bother pulling the unit to check out the wiring.