Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2010, 07:53 PM   #1

Why won't my generator run?

.....I thought I had a fuel pump issue on this generator when I got the rig because I couldn't get fuel to prime into the clear fuel filter, and when I manually squirt gas into the carb, she runs like a champ for as long as I'm adding gas. I should have done a little more sniffing around!
I replaced the fuel pump and still the same problem. Not only is gas not priming into the filter or pump but when I use an auxiliary fuel source (cup with gas) the generator still won't run. I can get it to run by squirting fuel directly in but not from the fuel pump delivery method.
I ruled out blockage up to the carb because when I disconnected the line into the carb fuel pumps out freely( when connected to aux fuel supply).

First things first I need to get it running off it's own fuel pump from aux fuel supply. I thin I can figure how to get it primed from there.

I am no expert on carbs but willing to learn.

What should I be looking for here?
Does anyone know what the most likely cause of this is?

1990 Kohler 7000 generator with 1000 hours. Runs when fuel added to carb but not by itself.
woodstockaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2010, 08:18 PM   #2

I would suggest the inlet needle is stuck or the main jet is plugged. Has the unit been sitting unused for a long period of time with fuel in the system? Is there an anti backfire solenoid holding the carb bowl in place? If so does it work?
RoyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:10 PM   #3

It has been sitting for a long time before I got my hands on it. I'm not sure a about an anti backfire solenoid. I didn't see anything that looked out of the ordinary to me on the carb so I'd guess no, but could be wrong.
What do you think the next easiest step would be for me to take here to get this thing diagnosed?
Old 08-03-2010, 09:15 PM   #4

Go to Walmart and purchase a can of "seafoam" cleaner in the auto dept and fill your carb and leave set for a while. Will clean up your carb
RVhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 01:06 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have you checked the gas level in your tank? These units are built to shut off when the supply tank gets down to 20-30%.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 02:27 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Sounds like either the control board is not sending 12 volts to the fuel pump or the fuel pump is defective.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:55 PM   #7

Na fuel pump is brand new and puts out a lot of gas at the carb when I disconnect line to check...

Ugh.... So headed to San Diego tomorrow morning with no generator. Luckily they have connections once we get there.

I tried sea foam but it wouldn't stay running unless I sprayed carb cleaner in [COLOR=#0072bc !important][COLOR=#0072bc !important]intake[/COLOR][/COLOR] as before.

I took carb out and cleaned it pretty good with cleaner and reinstalled. I got it to stay running at one point for about 30 seconds on it's own but it was putting out a lot of white smoke then simmerred down a bit to clear exhaust...finally it died and I couldn't get it started again.

Ce-La Vie I guess.... hopefully everything else keeps workin through the weekend....
Old 08-04-2010, 11:45 PM   #8

Gas tank is full , just filled it up today for the trip.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:47 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When in the San Diego area, if you need a shop to look at your generator this business is one of the best. All they do is generator work.
Quality RV Inc

1062 North 2nd Street, El Cajon, CA 92021-5843 (619) 441-5750 ()

I am not connected with this shop in any way they just provide good service.
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 06:33 AM   #10

Bowl float stuck closed?
Old 08-05-2010, 07:08 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I agree with others, sounds like your bowl float is stuck. I recently had to fix the carb on my boat outboard motor. I had not used it all winter but left fuel in the carb. It gummed it up good. I had to finally remove the carb, take it apart, and soak all of the parts in carb cleaner for at least 30 minutes. Put it back together and it runs like a champ. The carb cleaner cost about $20 for a gallon bucket.

If you are not comfortable taking apart a carb, most repair shops can do it at a fair price.
thepratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:29 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Since you have determined the fuel pump is working but you can't get fuel to the fuel filter you may have a fuel solenoid that's not working. I'm not familiar with your generator and some don't have the solenoid.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 03:34 PM   #13

...update...
Turns out i had a couple problems.

There is a fuel cutoff solenoid that stops the fuel from being injected to the carb when the stop button is pushed.

Also found out the the fuel pickup line must have either broken off or been yanked so that it was too high in the tank letting suction pull gas only at 3/4 tank instead of 1/4 tank. Easy to diagnose by removint the fuel cap so you can blow into the tank from the fuel line leading up to the generator. If it blows and you can feel bubbling in the tank you are good to go, if not, the pickup is out of the gas in the tank.
Obviously if you can't blow then it is clogged.

One other tip is to pump fuel into the tank. Reverse the connections on the fuel pump and use a small gas can for source fuel. You will easily find fuel or air leaks this way.