Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2017, 07:58 AM   #1

Will a 30 to 50amp upgrade add value to a MH

Hi,

I have been told it costs about 2,000$ to upgrade a 30amp coach to 50amp.

My coach brochure does show a 50amp option but when I check nada I do not see this optional extra to add.

The 30amp is fine in Michigan to run one 1 air con unit but if we move to Texas next year we will need to use both.

Will upgrading to 50amp add any value?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2017, 08:06 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I wouldn't expect a 50 amp upgrade to add any notable value to your rig.
I've seen several posts here where folks modified the rear AC to run directly off a 20 amp cord, which is plugged in separately to the pedestal when needed.
I believe that mod is much easier and less expensive than a full conversion to 50 amp.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:35 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
I wouldn't expect a 50 amp upgrade to add any notable value to your rig.
I've seen several posts here where folks modified the rear AC to run directly off a 20 amp cord, which is plugged in separately to the pedestal when needed.
I believe that mod is much easier and less expensive than a full conversion to 50 amp.
Hi Podivin,

That's what I guessed, asked as it's the 1st question my wife will ask me.

We are trying to weigh up our options for the potential move to Texas next year.

I have seen folk doing that mod.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:50 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Speaking from Florida, two ACs are nice - preferable even, but not required.

We have two, but can only run one at a time on our 30 amp connection. (I suppose if I turned off enough other stuff the second one would stop being 'shed' and come on, but it's not worth that to me.)

On HOT days we close the door to the bedroom and just cool the front part of the coach.
In the evening we open the door, and turn on just the rear AC to cool the bedroom so that it's comfortable for sleeping.
Then, because the rear AC is loud and annoying, we switch back to the front AC at bedtime and that will cool the entire coach overnight.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Speaking from Florida, two ACs are nice - preferable even, but not required.

We have two, but can only run one at a time on our 30 amp connection. (I suppose if I turned off enough other stuff the second one would stop being 'shed' and come on, but it's not worth that to me.)

On HOT days we close the door to the bedroom and just cool the front part of the coach.
In the evening we open the door, and turn on just the rear AC to cool the bedroom so that it's comfortable for sleeping.
Then, because the rear AC is loud and annoying, we switch back to the front AC at bedtime and that will cool the entire coach overnight.
That's good to know.

What temps does that work too?

We do have reflectix for the windows and vents.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:32 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
That works reasonably well to the mid 90s, get close to 100 and it's coming up to the point of being a lost cause (we also have a fan inside just for additional air movement).
We tend to camp at the beach where there's no shade, naturally that makes a difference also.

Yes, reflectix in the windows,
the blinds down on the sunny side,
reflectix above the shower to slow the heat from the skylight,
a windshield cover on the outside (that makes a BIG difference),
the curtains closed inside the windshield.
Depending on the orientation of the coach, having the awning open to create shade on the side of the coach can also help a lot.
Old 10-04-2017, 10:29 AM   #7

Quote:
That works reasonably well to the mid 90s, get close to 100 and it's coming up to the point of being a lost cause (we also have a fan inside just for additional air movement).
We tend to camp at the beach where there's no shade, naturally that makes a difference also.

Yes, reflectix in the windows,
the blinds down on the sunny side,
reflectix above the shower to slow the heat from the skylight,
a windshield cover on the outside (that makes a BIG difference),
the curtains closed inside the windshield.
Depending on the orientation of the coach, having the awning open to create shade on the side of the coach can also help a lot.
That a good to know we can use that method.

It does get In to the mid 100's were we will be moving too.
Old 10-04-2017, 10:56 AM   #8

Energy Management takes care of running both on 30 amps here in Florida for me. Only really sheds when the electric water heater is calling, running the microwave or other really high draw device is running. Most of the time after the initial cool down or during the noontime hours when both are running its down to just one to maintain and dehumidify.

If your going to acclimate to the near to and sometimes over 100 degree temps and humidity outside then you should not be running the AC below 78 inside or you'll become a shut in and never be able to really enjoy the many outdoor activities here.
Old 10-04-2017, 11:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
Energy Management takes care of running both on 30 amps here in Florida for me. Only really sheds when the electric water heater is calling, running the microwave or other really high draw device is running. Most of the time after the initial cool down or during the noontime hours when both are running its down to just one to maintain and dehumidify.

If your going to acclimate to the near to and sometimes over 100 degree temps and humidity outside then you should not be running the AC below 78 inside or you'll become a shut in and never be able to really enjoy the many outdoor activities here.
Hi,

Do you mean an energy management system?

We don't mind the heat during the day. The issue is for sleeping.
Old 10-04-2017, 10:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stMH View Post
Hi,

Do you mean an energy management system?

We don't mind the heat during the day. The issue is for sleeping.
The Powerline Energy Management System handles the load shift well enough to make it in Florida for me on 30 amps. Keep the white roof clean and use the shades in the heat of the day and the AC will both run and keep up. Nights when the sun goes down and the AC loads are light are not an issue for me.

Long steamy showers or cooking a late supper with open pots of boiling water can make it humid in the coach though but that's all just common sense.

Don't expect to maintain below 78 degrees around noontime as that is not a reasonable expectation during the heat of the day especially if you have a dark colored coach and leave the sun shades open or linger entering or exiting the coach with the door open.
Old 10-05-2017, 05:13 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
As a "Newbie" when I ordered our MH I requested the 50 amp up grade. It provided a larger generator and an electric option on the water heater. (don't remember but perhaps also the larger A/C with heat pump). While the single A/C has been all we needed for the past 13 years I wanted the option to add a second one. Never happened.
What is does provide is two legs of 120 volt service which I identified and labeled at each outlet. On really cold days I can run three 1500 watt space heaters if plugged into specific outlets.
Also no concern about what is on or off when the spouse starts using hand held
high amp draw devices.
Then there is the whole discussion of the condition of the 30 vs 50 amp outlets at the campgrounds which I have nothing to say about.

Added value? for me yes, for others probably not.
Volunteers USFWS. 9,300 hrs each, 29 refuges. 04 Allegro 30DA, WH 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty , Brake Buddy Adv Select, 300watts Solar, "Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 05:25 AM   #12

agreed: the REAL value of '50amp' vs 30amp is that a 50amp RV system is really 100amps, not just 50.... that's 70 more amps than a 30amp system....

a 50a system is 3 TIMES more electrical incoming power than the typical 30amp system, therefore you have many more options for devices and appliances that can be running at the same time, such as multiple air conditioners, electric water heater, residential refrigerator, tvs, receivers, plug in appliances, electric heaters, etc etc...

and, a 50amp coach also typically comes with a much larger Generator since it would need to provide much more power than a 30a coach's generator would.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 05:33 AM   #13

Thanks all,

My wife had wanted to bring our coach to Texas with us and then upgrade if needs be, but I have convinced her we should get something better insulated and 50 amp.

:-)
Old 10-05-2017, 11:08 AM   #14

Ensure you get a 30 to 50 dogbone as many upcharge you for using the 50 amp outlet if they even have one. 50 amp is moot at most places I stay since there are only a handful of sites with 50 amp plugs even where they do have 50 amp available.

Then where you do find 50 amp plugs they many only still be 30 amps on each side.

Tags
upgrade