Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2016, 10:35 AM   #1

Winterizing batteries

Sorry if this has been posted in the past, but just wondering what everyone does when winterizing their batteries. I'm up in Alberta, so it gets pretty chilly in the winter.

Currently I keep my batteries in the garage and then every now and then attach them to my slow trickle charger and make sure they are charged up.

Any tips on the water inside or how often it should be charged over the winter?
markliso is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2016, 10:59 AM   #2

Check your specific gravity with a hydrometer and charge to a higher value when necessary. Trojan has a web site (PDF) that gives freezing point vs SG for batteries.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...14733917,d.cGc

This chart is for specific gravity of the electrolyte, not just specific to Trojan batteries.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 11:22 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have used a Battery Minder Plus float charger for that purpose for many years. It will handle up to four batteries and keep them fully charged.
We had a commercial peach orchard in CO and brought the farm equipment batteries inside to an outbuilding and connected them to the unit every winter.
Old 02-18-2016, 03:46 PM   #4

I use a Canadian Tire trickle charger on our Winnebago. I also use one on my Ferguson tractor and my Astro van. It is best to buy one when they are on sale which happens often.
rottenkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 12:25 AM   #5

Thanks for the answers
markliso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 04:22 PM   #6
Community Moderator

leave the trickle charger on, don't remove it. flooded batteries (either chassis battery or house batteries) like to be charged 24/7.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, winter