Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2015, 12:20 PM   #1

Winterizing question RE: residential refrigerator

Last week I received the latest Camping World catalog. There was a service offering that referenced winterizing services, of which they had three levels. The last offering noted "Includes icemakers and water filters". That caught my attention.

Up until last month we have owned travel trailers with absorption type refrigerators. Winterizing took little effort. A spotless cleaning and covering the outside vent was it.

I have searched online to see if there are instructions/directions on winterizing the more complex systems aboard a higher end 5th wheel or Class A without luck. I am going to let my local servicing dealer provide the service this year and hope they will explain to me what has to be done for all these systems but if they don't, does anyone know of a website or location I can go to get detailed descriptions of performing this service myself?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2015, 02:44 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Your owner's manual should have instructions on how to winterize and de-winterize. My Itasca's manual did and so does my new Tiffin manual. With a residential fridge, there are two methods. The first, disconnect the hoses at the ice maker valve and make sure all water is drained, then remove the ice maker filter if applicable. The second method is to let the ice maker run through a few cycles with RV antifreeze pumped through until you get pink ice cubes.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 07:07 PM   #3

I have been using RV antifreeze for a couple of years. Drain as much water as possible. get a couple gallons of RV AF and pump it in using the siphon line attached to your water pump system. Actuate the ice maker half a dozen times until Pink comes out and your done. Like the last post said - check your manual that came with the unit. Don't forget to add AF to the drains and shower.
gbburgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:07 AM   #4

Thanks for your responses. I always performed the winterization service on our rigs and, knock wood, never had an issue. I guess I'm a little nervous I might miss something in the new unit, probably because I haven't had much time to familiarize myself with all the systems. From what you both describe, it's not much different than what I did before.
Old 10-05-2015, 05:03 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If your absorption Fridge had an ice maker.. NO DIFFERENCE.

How do you winterize.. If you use the pink stuff method (I DO NOT REDCOMMEND THIS) simply force cycle the ice maker to fill the lines with PINK

If you use the blow out method,, I blow out several times. after the first blow.. Cycle the ice maker (no pressure in lines) this will drain the lines down. now You can do it again if you like after say the 3rd blow.. .I blow at least 5 times. Once it's drained down close the supply manual valve..

The ice tray you can sop dry with a towel if you like but .. Well, it is DESIGNED to have ice freeze in it after all.,

Tags
fridge, winter, refrigerator