RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2008, 04:56 PM   #1

Have 2008 Winnebago Voyage 32H. Attempted to winterize using the antifreeze method today. Followed the steps in the manual EXACTLY(which I normally don't do) Nothing. Pump runs continuously but the pick-up hose does not pull anything from the gallon jug. No leaks anywhere, all valves in right position, all faucets open and nothing. just came back from (3) week NC/SC trip and water system on shore water and tank water worked fine. Thought you folks might have some suggestion before I call Winnebago.

Thank/You
Mike(Navyblue)

Winnebago 2008 Voyage 32H (1 each)
Toyota 2008 Tacoma (1 each)
Smart wife (1 each)
Kids (2 each)
Retired 7/95 and 12/08 (Finally)
Spending my kids inheritance one day at a time

navyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2008, 04:56 PM   #2

Have 2008 Winnebago Voyage 32H. Attempted to winterize using the antifreeze method today. Followed the steps in the manual EXACTLY(which I normally don't do) Nothing. Pump runs continuously but the pick-up hose does not pull anything from the gallon jug. No leaks anywhere, all valves in right position, all faucets open and nothing. just came back from (3) week NC/SC trip and water system on shore water and tank water worked fine. Thought you folks might have some suggestion before I call Winnebago.

Thank/You
Mike(Navyblue)

Winnebago 2008 Voyage 32H (1 each)
Toyota 2008 Tacoma (1 each)
Smart wife (1 each)
Kids (2 each)
Retired 7/95 and 12/08 (Finally)
Spending my kids inheritance one day at a time

Old 12-15-2008, 05:23 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Ho: The usual cause for pump running and nothing coming out (aside from failures) is that the pump is cavitating. In other words, there is air in the system and the pump can't get primed.

A simple fix for my coach is simply to open the drain valve so that water (in your case antifreeze) can run through the pump and prime it. Then close the drain valve immediately so that the antifreeze goes where you want it to, not on the ground.

Good luck, Dirk
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 05:26 PM   #4

Jayco Owners Club
There is a screw on cap at the end of the suction hose that needs to be removed. I forget this every year without fail.
US Army 1968-70 SETAF 559th HHD S4
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 04:30 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I winterize 3 times a year at least. Just did it again yesterday. Becoming a bit of an expert. I blow out first then put anit-freeze in. I have to do this as I don't trust winterizing the washer/dryer by blow out only.

I would have guessed valves in wrong position. Normally you have to close one valve that goes from the fresh water tank to the pump and open another that goes from the dip tube to the pump.

If valves are in right position, it really sounds like an air leak between the dip tube and pump so the pump can't prime.

One thing you might try, close all faucets except one, outside shower if you have one. Then see if that will help the pump prime. Another option is to open & close the valves while the pump is running. That may release a potential air lock.
JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 04:44 AM   #6

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I believe all valves should be closed to allow the pump to pressurize the system.
FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 05:13 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dirk Ostermiller:
Hi Ho: The usual cause for pump running and nothing coming out (aside from failures) is that the pump is cavitating. In other words, there is air in the system and the pump can't get primed.

A simple fix for my coach is simply to open the drain valve so that water (in your case antifreeze) can run through the pump and prime it. Then close the drain valve immediately so that the antifreeze goes where you want it to, not on the ground.

Good luck, Dirk </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is the process that works for me. Air gets in the line and has to be bled off.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 08:15 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I second the cap on the antifreeze siphon hose. Had me scratching my head for a minute this year.

Either that or the city water/water tank fill valve in the set wrong in the equipment bay. I've forgotten to re-set that valve many times after filling the tank from a hose.

sightseer 30B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 08:32 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Does your Voyage have an electric winterizing solenoid rathen the manual switches/valves?? My UA does, and the switch to turn it on is inside the washer/dryer closet back in the bedroom ...also where the bypass solenoid switch is locate -- really dumb location.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:04 AM   #10

navyblue,
hold the clear siphon hose about waist high, slowly pour some pink into the hose, filling it up. Then turn on the pump to prime it. Quickly immerse the hose into the jug once primed.

Old 12-20-2008, 04:37 PM   #11

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the many replies. Tried all your suggestions and nothing was working, SO I hooked water to coach, ran it through it paces and all orifices sprouted water. Then disconnected hose and drained all the lines and dumped gray water(actually fresh water). Then tried Troths method again. No luck. Then just before I was ready to give up and make an appt for the local RV dealer to do it for $110 I applied some advanced Chemistry/Physics/Voodoo and figured if waist high hose provided x amount of gravitational push on the antifreeze at waist high if I can hold the siphon hose as vertical as possible then the gravitational push on the antifreeze would be increased.
Nothing happened at first(1 minute), then slowly the siphon hose started to lose the antifreeze and go in to the water lines. The pump was primed from water hose and then started to pull in antifreeze and remembering Troth said to quickly immerse tube in gallon jug I did and like a $20 hooker(sorry, retired Navy) the whole jug was gone. Went in coach, turned off kitchen/bath faucets. Then put hose in second jug and ran it though shower head, outside showerhead and then poured remainder in all drains to fill traps, poured some into black water tank and some in toilet after valve closed and I am set for the 75 days I will be with daughter in MD
I can't thank you fine folks enough for your help. I hope to someday be a "veteran" RVer and help some folks or even pass this info on to someone else. This site has ALWAYS been my go to site for info even before I bought the coach. I've learned more in the forums here than in the 12 books I've read.
Thanks to all and Merry Christmas and may your RV New Year be even better than this year.

Mike(Navy Blue)
Old 12-20-2008, 04:54 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Had similar problem two weeks ago..pump would not prime with antifreeze..pump running. Problem was air leaking in a slightly cracked water filter bowl. Replaced bowl..everything now winterized.

I believe a Camping World service monkey overtightened bowl two weeks prior....at 110 dollars per hour.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:35 PM   #13

This happened to me the first winterizing of our new 5er. After much cussing and stomping around, I disconnected the water pump from all hoses, removed the inlet screen-then discovered the problem. The screen was virtually clogged with clear shavings from the fresh water tank installation. The screen appeared clean until it was removed and dis-assembled. I can only assume they floated on the remaining water instead of exiting the drain tube. I re-assembled everything and the pump picked up anti-freeze with the jug sitting on the ground. After the jubilation was over I gave myself a kick for not thinking of it before taking everything apart.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote