Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2016, 06:46 AM   #1

Winterizing with Air?

When using air to Winterize I assume low air would be same as water pressure, say 45 pounds?

Could I hook up the water pressure valve in the air line to keep the air flow the same as the water pressure??
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2016, 06:58 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless View Post
When using air to Winterize I assume low air would be same as water pressure, say 45 pounds?

Could I hook up the water pressure valve in the air line to keep the air flow the same as the water pressure??
Interesting idea. I'll hang around and see what more experienced folks say about this!
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 07:12 AM   #3

good question.. My little 6 gallon compressor has adjustment valve on it..
HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 08:06 AM   #4

Yes air works fine but...

Most air is very very dirty so to speak.

Use a filter like the under sink whole house kind that has a carbon cartridge and using the old one yiu are going to toss is just fine.

Open low point drains and let gravity work with all facets open wide.

Next close everything up and pressurize with regulator set to maybe 50 psi and open one at a time all low point drains.

After that start with everything else starting with high points to low ones then repeat until no water comes out.

The air will cause water to move some so repeating often will get more.

Your water heater acts as a buffer tank so yiu will get more air flow.

Let your compressor catch up and stop often.

A flow valve is not a regulator but if you have a watts type water regulator it will do the job.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:14 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have been using Air to close and winterize my Bounder for years and have had no issues. It does take a while and you need to follow the directions in the prior post but I find it makes start up easier in the spring
smaurer76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 09:24 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
Yes air works fine but...

Most air is very very dirty so to speak.

Use a filter like the under sink whole house kind that has a carbon cartridge and using the old one yiu are going to toss is just fine.
Interesting--first time that I read anything about using the filter, but it makes sense.

I will be pumping air in through the city-water connect. This will go through the whole-house filter on my RV. I thought that I should remove that filter first, but you are suggesting that I leave it in to help clean the air?
Old 10-20-2016, 04:01 PM   #7

Many air compressors spit oil and water in the air as they are made for filling tires and tools.

You can make a filter or get one at a yard sale but do have the filter outside of the rv otherwise dirty upto wherever the filter is.

Remove the inside filter as it acts like a sponge and holds water then freezes.

Take it out if you can.

You can get a filter at the hardware store that would go under sink and add adaptors to use for air then clean with soap and water then use it at camp ground to pre filter water at hose connection
Old 10-20-2016, 07:43 PM   #8

Big mistake using air. What's 10-20 dollars to do it right
12rvrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 07:46 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12rvrepair View Post
Big mistake using air. What's 10-20 dollars to do it right

Interesting comment. My itasca manual suggested air was the superior option over just using anti-freeze (after draining). I over-do it...and do both
Esc Pod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 08:06 AM   #10

Most dealers will use air, then anti freeze, or just anti freeze. Why? Because they have to guarantee their work and they know what a PIA replacing burst pipes and toilet components can be.

Many people get away with air, but darn few will guarantee it, or that you will be as successful if you try it.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:07 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
Most dealers will use air, then anti freeze, or just anti freeze.

This is consistent with what I was told by Fleetwood techs in Decatur. Blow it out first, then use the pink fluid. Less dilution that way.

Also--for newbies like me--be 100% clear on this--the "antifreeze" must be labeled for drinking water systems. This is NOT the same stuff as what goes in your car's radiator, or the "no-freeze" windshield wiper fluid that can sometime be pink in color. Also--there are gallon jugs that you spray on driveways to prevent or melt ice. This is also not for your RV drinking water.

I was a little surprised at how similar the colors can be on these different "anti-freeze" products, and also how close they are to each other at my local Walmart.

Be careful!!
Old 10-23-2016, 10:17 AM   #12

I use hot and cold low point drains. Followed by the pink stuff. I tried air one year on my bounder and had to remove the hot water heater to fix a leak from frozen water in the spring.
Old 10-23-2016, 06:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statgeek View Post
This is consistent with what I was told by Fleetwood techs in Decatur. Blow it out first, then use the pink fluid. Less dilution that way.

Also--for newbies like me--be 100% clear on this--the "antifreeze" must be labeled for drinking water systems. This is NOT the same stuff as what goes in your car's radiator, or the "no-freeze" windshield wiper fluid that can sometime be pink in color. Also--there are gallon jugs that you spray on driveways to prevent or melt ice. This is also not for your RV drinking water.

I was a little surprised at how similar the colors can be on these different "anti-freeze" products, and also how close they are to each other at my local Walmart.

Be careful!!
I was a tech/service manager at a larger independant RV dealership in Mi. for 19 years. Our habits were the results of a LOT of experience with spring repairs!
Old 10-23-2016, 06:45 PM   #14

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
I was a tech/service manager at a larger independant RV dealership in Mi. for 19 years. Our habits were the results of a LOT of experience with spring repairs!
Been Blowing my Old Eagle out with Air for 16 yrs.(50lbs) Never an issue And dumping RV Antifreeze in the Drain's as well !

NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter