Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2019, 02:07 PM   #1

Xantrex Inverter Issue?

I had the RV Service Tech out, where he found my electrical problem was the surge protection system, as 120V was going in, but nothing was coming out. He gutted the box (I have since bought another, which I'll use at the pedestal) and hooked all the wires together inside the box for safety. I assume all was working fine, as the LED was on the inverter, so he was on his way after I paid him! It has been pouring rain as of late, so here two days later I go out, and the Inverter seems to be charging the batteries nicely, as they're now up to a 13.7 V after testing them! But, as most of you would know, just inside the coach to the left of the stairs is a bank of switches, so I push the switch to turn on the 12V system, and all I get is a clicking sound down by where the batteries are located? I initially had a 'ground fault' issue when I first tested the inside electrical plugs...so I disconnected all power (120V and batteries for a time) and so far have just re-connected the batteries in trying to get the 12V system to come on...no luck. My tester is now showing the inverter is sending 120V to all electrical plugs, but as mentioned, no 12V yet. One thing I haven't done is started the engine (wanted to make sure it was ok to do so first) and put the bedroom slides out...to get to the electrical panel, and see if any breakers have switched off! And perhaps a 12V fuse, albeit I don't know why they might go bad at this point!

On edit. - I fire up the engine and see if that allows 12V to the coach, and I got 12V for lights etc., but now power at the electrical plugs! As things now stand, I'm getting 12V as mentioned, but once again it gives me a 'ground fault' code on my electrical plug tester.

Amazing how all this happens when trying to get things ready for your first major outing of the year!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/advice!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2019, 02:23 PM   #2

Re check the battery cables. The inverter cables do NOT supply power to the house 12 volt system. That will be a seperate cable. You may have left it off.
When you start the engine, it connects the chassis battery to the house circuits for charging the house batteries while traveling.

GFCI issue will be anything after the GFCI breaker or outlet. Unplug things to see what happens.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 03:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Re check the battery cables. The inverter cables do NOT supply power to the house 12 volt system. That will be a seperate cable. You may have left it off.
When you start the engine, it connects the chassis battery to the house circuits for charging the house batteries while traveling.

GFCI issue will be anything after the GFCI breaker or outlet. Unplug things to see what happens.
Nothing is plugged in at the moment in any of the electrical outlets, as even the fridge is disconnected. I did have to charge the batteries with my auto/charger, as the batteries went below what the inverter would allow, albeit with them back to fully charged (showing 13.7V this morning) the inverter is now showing they're at 'float charge' on the Xantrex panel. All 12V 'seems' to be working at the moment, and the coach is hooked up to the house (120V) albeit my tester is showing 'ground fault'. If disconnected to 120V from the house, 12V works, but there is no power to the electrical outlets, as the Inverter 'should' be using the battery power to 120V correct? Which it's not doing....so I don't know if it's a wiring issue (as I did have some wiring work done a few days ago, but the inverter was showing a blinking LED green light, indicating it was charging correctly...apparently.
Testing the batteries, it should be fine, as it's showing 13.7 Volts when using my multimeter. Oddly, there does seem to be a draw though, as there is a slight spark when I take off/put on the red positive wire to the battery! Parasitic draw? This one has me stumped! GFI's all seem to be fine when testing them. I have to be missing something!

Tags
inverter, xantrex