Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2010, 10:13 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Xantrex vs. Magnum

Can anyone point me to impartial reviews/comparisions of these two inverter/chargers? Anyone having experience with both care to share their impressions?

I am considering replacing the Dimensions unit that came in my 2005 Journey with a Magnum MS2000.
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2010, 12:44 PM   #2

FWIW No experience with both but a lot of issues with my Xantrex. Xantrex repair facility said that my unit, a RS2000 is imported from China and no parts are available for it. Same facility told me they also handle Magnum, made in the USA, and you can get any part you need.
radams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 11:20 PM   #3

Have considered the same and after research established that the SW2000 has no remote panel control other than on/off. The SW3000 does come with a control panel like we have on the Dimensions unit but is not available. It was pulled off the market due to design problems. I decided on a Magnum unit. The RS2000 is a good unit but I believe the Magnum MS2012 is a better unit (60A bypass AC output vs 30A on the RS2000). They are out there in significant numbers and I rarely hear of any problems.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:07 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a Xantrex 458 in my 2005 National Sea Breeze and have had no problems with it. I also have several friends in the RV business, and have some info you might be interested in. The Xantrex company has given up ALL of their repair facilities, so you need to send it back to the manufacturer for any repairs. I found out from some of the repair facilities that used to repair Xantrex units that the reason they quit working on Xantrex was that it was impossible to either work with or get parts from Xantrex, and that Xantrex was always uncooperative in assisting their repair places...reasons unknown. I also called Xantrex myself with a psuedo problem and they were very rude and uncooperative with me. Sooo...although I'm happy with my Xantrex so far, I would never buy another Xantrex if mine ever went bad.

Hope this helps

Bill
BEAUTIFUL PHOENIX, AZ
WSRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 01:30 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Have looked into both Xantrex and Magnum and will now go for the Magnum due to repairability and installation. The Magnum is able to replace the Dimensions unit without running Cat5 cable to the remote panel since it uses the same phone cable for that purpose. Xantrex uses Cat5. US manufacture and availability of parts contributed to the decision.

Thanks for the input, folks.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:23 AM   #6

Hey, Bill -

Let us know how it works out for you. I'm probably going to end up doing the same so it would be nice to know how it goes.

Thanks
radams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:28 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Bob,
The Dimensions unit was tested and found to be working properly yesterday. I will put off the replacement for a bit, but will eventually go Magnum. When I do the exchange I will pot the results.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:45 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
I have the Magnum 2000 and has been flawless. My only question is on the invertor side, Who can up with the idea of what curcuits to put on the invertor side
I think the sleep number bed should and Both not one of the Bed outlets should have been included, and the AC outlet at the driver seat could have been left off. ???? I would think adjusting the bed would be more inportant that ac at the wheel

Ron K
N6CUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:49 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a Xantrex Prosine 2.0.. Love it.. I did have ONE problem back in 2006 it lost it's mind (it was nearly new then) (The display said: Prosine Memory Error)

I called Xantrex.. A US citizen answered the phone and in just a few minutes I had an RMA and we chatted for 10 min or so beyond that and he give me some info beyond what is in the owner's manual designed to keep it from happening again.

I will pass that info on as it applies to ALL inverters

1: Upgrade the 12 volt wire by 1 size beyond what is in the manual... If it says 2/0 go with 4/0

2: Tape the black and red wires together for all but the amount needed to reach the fuse, battery and inverter terminals. (Cuts down on inductance when you lay them side by side)

Oh, the Prosine is a TRUE SINE WAVE

I do recommend a TSW over an MSW... However most every inverter maker makes both kinds.

WHY:

If you go to xantrex and follow the technical papers linkis to the X-Power (MSW) you will find a document with a title something like "Things that might not work on an MSW inverter"

Do the same thing with the Prosine and... No such document

Here is the list of things that will not work with the Prosine 2.0.

All devices needing more than 2,000 watts starting.

Yup, that's the list.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:34 AM   #10

N6CUS,

I'm sure your coach manufacturer decided what circuits to assign to the inverter. I installed my Magnum with an additional breaker box and I decided what to power from the inverter.

Margaret - She who must be obeyed.
Tincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 12:17 AM   #11

Bought a Prosine 2.0 on eBay that was guaranteed to work, and in new condition (it was); turns out it was DOA. I called Xantrex who literally wouldn't talk to me any further after I gave them the s/n, said it was too old, see ya... clik.

Called several shops and all said Xantrex service is impossible to deal with anymore and all 4 suggested the Magnum 2012, AND there are parts readily available (including ebay). In the end I beefed the seller and received a full refund from eBay, but learned a whole lot about Xantrex in the process.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 07:33 PM   #12

Installed a Xantrex RS2000 (pure sine) in my last coach and it worked well.

However, since Xantrex was bought by Schneider Electric, things have changed as evidenced by the poor customer service reported above.

I'm going with a Magnum MS2000 (pure sine) on my next install. It will replace a Freedom 485.

What's great about a Freedom 485/Magnum swap is that both units use an RJ11 phone cord to connect to a remote control -- so you don't have to run another control cord. On the other hand, Xantrex uses an RJ45 cable.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 12:40 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

MY Xantrax RV2500 works well enough when it works, but I already had to have it rebuilt after a total failure when only 4 years old and only modest use. Xantrex wouldn't service it or even talk about it - obsolete, they said. Fortunately Lazydays found a electronic repair shop in Tampa that still had the two necessary circuit boards in stock.

Magnum will get my business if this one fails again.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 01:14 PM   #14
a k

Newmar Owners Club
Magnum people are great to deal with. Walked me through mine when had a power surge and sent me the part I needed.
a k is offline   Reply With Quote