Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2017, 02:43 PM   #1

Yet another " no co " fault

Trying to help a neighbor here in RV park . 2005 coach 1200 series Norcold.
He called for help when GFIC breaker wouldn't re-set , tracked problem to the 120 power supply for the , Norcold control board, disconnected 120 power , some corrosion around cooling unit ( looks like due to a water leak from ice maker supply ) , no yellow powder visible . Left 120v disconnected and started the fridge on LP , 6 hrs later " no co " and alarm ; tried re-set , with off/no and 12volt disconnect and downloaded info on full re-set of control board , and will try tomorrow . Fridge shut down for now ; but with 2 problems the; 120v tripping the GFIC and the " no co" I've already told him the bad ( $$$$) news that it's probably shot, I'm thinking leak into the electric heater cavity that can't be seen.
Just wondering if anyone here, has had these multiple issues, and found that a full replacement wasn't required.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2017, 03:30 PM   #2

'no co'
1st on can be reset via ON/OFF
2nd one requires 'hard reset' via ground wire on circuit board

After 2nd 'no co'..........pretty good indication of BAD cooling unit

Test cooling unit
Unplug electric heater element leads (both sets) from lower board
Plug leads DIRECTLY into a working 120V AC outlet----extension cord if outlet in compartment doesn't work

After 4 hours freezer back wall S/B getting cool
After 8 hrs food compartment fins S/B getting cool
After 12 hrs freezer S/B 10*F or less
Overnight food compartment S/B at 32*F or less
(thermometer in glass of water to measure temps)

No Cooling using elements directly wired........cooling unit BAD
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 03:37 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
We replaced our fridge as it was only a couple hundred dollars more than replacing the cooling unit.

In hindsight I would have installed a residential fridge instead.
Old 01-28-2017, 10:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post

No Cooling using elements directly wired........cooling unit BAD

Thanks for that hint Old-Biscuit ; I'll pull the elements out before direct wiring them to check for any possible yellow powder leaking into their recesses.
On second though; I always have them.
The corrosion on the cooling unit , from the ice maker water leak, is bad enough , that I'd be afraid to try clean up and repainting it ; for fear of a rupture ; so I'm going to stick with the replace it recommendation.

Gordon , I'd already broached the subject of residential with him; he wasn't open to the idea ; and his coach has the furnace directly below the fridge , so no extra space available, for any added height of the usual residential unit , like the one I installed last year.
Old 02-03-2017, 04:13 PM   #5

If your friend goes with another absorption fridge, have him look at the Amish unit that comes out of Shipshewana, IN. Norcold 1200LR Cooling Unit PKG w/2 AC elements, 2 Fans w/fan switch pkg- built by the Amish. - RV Cooling Unit Warehouse The cost for shipment is not too bad (I think it was around $150) or they will change it out for you at their shop for only a few bucks more. I did my own 1200LRIM, and works great. But you will never get the quick and steady cooling that a residential unit would give you. I didn't want to go the residential route as boon-dock too much, but if I have to replace again I'll probably go the residential and then will have the run the generator a lot more to keep the batteries charges. Good luck.
Milehghcty is offline   Reply With Quote