Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes > CB & Ham Radio
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:01 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
I am N5PHT and use a Tarheel Screwdriver on my tow truck connected to the 5er with coax. See QRZ for pics and a couple of links to articles I have written.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2013, 11:45 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG5UN View Post
What equipment do you have? Let us know and we can give more specific info.

I have a simple NMO mount on the Class C and use a dual band antenna when on the road. When OI am stationary I use the Yaesu ATAS-100 with an NMO to UHF adapter and it works really well with my FT-100. I have an Efactor dual band horizontal loop I use for 2 meter and 432mhz SSB, I put it on a short PVC mast I bungee to my ladder.
Hello, it is a Kenwood TS-690S, with tons of amps and equipment. Not too sure what I need to get started, but I do know I need an antenna, something basic and beginner level would be fine but some help would be appreciated, maybe a couple links would be a good start.
bobioknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:33 AM   #17

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The Kenwood TS-690 is a great starter HF radio, with the added bonus of having 6 meters as well.
There are many antenna options. When I am in the motor home I keep an Ulimax 100 with me. Home. Iy is simple to set up and use.
Another simple favorite is the G5RV, of which there are many to choose from, just google it and have a look. Check out the Cobra Cobra UltraLite Antennas - The Alternative Multi-Band Solution - Home Page. And the mystery antenna and some of the others at www.k4tr.com
My personal favorite is the windom sold by antennas and more, Windom
These are just a few suggestions, the choices in antennas are truly limitless .
Good luck and 73.
KG5UN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:31 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
I have been hamming and awhile and enjoy RV and Hamming. Setup picture on qrz.com
N5PHT. I use a screwdriver on the tow truck connected to 5er. Tarheel antenna with 12 foot telescoping whip. My qrz page has a couple of links: 1. An article I wrote on rv'ing and haming and 2. A brief report on 3 months rv'ing and hamming.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:34 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG5UN View Post
The Kenwood TS-690 is a great starter HF radio, with the added bonus of having 6 meters as well.
There are many antenna options. When I am in the motor home I keep an Ulimax 100 with me. Home. Iy is simple to set up and use.
Another simple favorite is the G5RV, of which there are many to choose from, just google it and have a look. Check out the Cobra Cobra UltraLite Antennas - The Alternative Multi-Band Solution - Home Page. And the mystery antenna and some of the others at www.k4tr.com
My personal favorite is the windom sold by antennas and more, Windom
These are just a few suggestions, the choices in antennas are truly limitless .
Good luck and 73.
I expect this will be a great opportunity for some family fun while rv'ing. Thanks for the help, I will check them out now.
"Mrs. CC. Magna" 36' 1993 Country Coach, Magna, 300hp Cummins, 5 speed Alison trans, #5016
127,000 miles and counting...
Old 07-31-2013, 08:39 AM   #20

Checked out the ulimax 100, it says plug and play (good)' but what the heck does this mean? ... BE SURE TO MAKE A (5 TURNS AT 6" DIA) CHOKE AT THE FEEDPOINT OR USE A LINE ISOLATOR.
"Mrs. CC. Magna" 36' 1993 Country Coach, Magna, 300hp Cummins, 5 speed Alison trans, #5016
127,000 miles and counting...
Old 07-31-2013, 10:16 AM   #21

Damon Owners Club
Nice! I am very Jealous!... Who made the mount? Is it a Commercial or Home-brew?
Wb2IVU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 01:14 AM   #22

Dan,
Just figuring out what to buy in the way of a trailer, but my call is W2TTT and I am active mobile, portable and home on 80m through 1.2 GHz.
Gordon, W2TTT
w2ttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:44 AM   #23

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdawg74 View Post
I wanted to touch base with any Ham radio operators here. Do you use a mobile antenna ( like a screwdriver) or go more for a stationary set up and only operated when stopped.
Here is my setup.. Our motor home is a 40 foot Damon Escaper. Radio is a Icom 706MIIG, w/DSP, that covers 160-6, plus 2 and 440. I use a 1/4 wave antenna on 2 which happens to be close to a 5/8 wave on 440. The radio and LDG antenna tuner are mounted under a sofa, and the head is mounted by the passenger chair. For HF, I am using a Hustler antenna system, Right now its set up for 80/75, 40 and 15 Meters. I get to use this while traveling and stationary.

And if you click this link, http://rvradionetwork.com/nets.php it will direct you to several RV HF nets.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1880 (1).jpg
Views:	162
Size:	270.0 KB
ID:	75452   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1181 (1).jpg
Views:	147
Size:	296.1 KB
ID:	75454  

Click image for larger version

Name:	HF.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	75455  
Old 10-02-2014, 06:59 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
HF Wire Loop

Im going to try a HF wire loop above our coach, were 40' long plus a 18' enclosed trailer I have my bikes and shop in. That would put us over 62 feet overall and with the width it would make the loop over 134 feet overall. That should be perfect for 75M and nice and quiet and should tune to almost every band. I plan on using pvc to start with and then as I can afford, (4) push up flag poles on the four corners... A loop should work great over any beam or dipole on the lower portion of the bands...

Andy
W7ATR
Old 10-03-2014, 07:58 AM   #25

Damon Owners Club
I've often thought about a loop, but shy away from it because I believe it would cause havoc with the coach electronics, as potential source of RFI on xmit.
Old 10-04-2014, 10:59 AM   #26

Antenna Suggestions

Dan,
In a fiberglass body you will want to do one of two things depending on your bands of operation. For VHF/UHF embed some 1/4 wave ground plane wires above the headliner and connect it to the base of the antenna as a counterpoise. For HF, screwdrivers are great, but you will need to ensure that the mount is firmly bonded to the frame and that all possible frame parts are also bonded together. This will reduce noise from the vehicle and also increase your counterpoise.

Gordon, W2TTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdawg74 View Post
I wanted to touch base with any Ham radio operators here. Best type of antenna to use on a fiberglass coach. Anyone try a wire loop on the top of a Fiberglass coach? Do you use a mobile antenna ( like a screwdriver) or go more for a stationary set up and only operated when stopped. Are there national calling freq's for RV'ers etc. Looking for ideas, warnings nets affiliations etc.

Thanks and 73's
Dan
Old 10-04-2014, 11:27 AM   #27

Calling Frequencies for Mobiles

Dan,
There are Good Sam Amateur Radio nets, that you can find listed on the Internet. You can also try EASTCARS, MIDCARS, SOUTHCARS, NORTHCARS and I think, WESTCARS which are mobile "service" nets. If you Google them you can find their times and frequencies of operation. They are mostly on 40m. There are other nets on 20m that will also be of interest, but ask around.
Gordon, W2TTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by w2ttt View Post
Dan,
In a fiberglass body you will want to do one of two things depending on your bands of operation. For VHF/UHF embed some 1/4 wave ground plane wires above the headliner and connect it to the base of the antenna as a counterpoise. For HF, screwdrivers are great, but you will need to ensure that the mount is firmly bonded to the frame and that all possible frame parts are also bonded together. This will reduce noise from the vehicle and also increase your counterpoise.

Gordon, W2TTT
Old 10-04-2014, 05:30 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
I have had good success with using a mini g5rv in nearby trees. If I get close to rv I seem to get some rf issues. About 4000 qso so far from over 50 camp spots. HF and mostly CW. Also have a couple tarhill screwdrivers I would like to use but have not yet.

Tags
radio