Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes > CB & Ham Radio
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-06-2018, 07:21 AM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Campground RFI?

Just curious: with all of the (relatively) close quarters involved, has anyone run into any complaints about RFI while operating from a campground?

I'm assuming that folks running big linears is not nearly as common (and would expect most to be running QRP to ~100w). I'd also think that the ability to set up a stealth antenna would be reduced as well.

Ivan
YanOutWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2018, 11:12 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Not a lot of RVs with big linears as many require 240V power mains (but someone will be in eventually to tell you that they do it, even though I didn't say they can't).

In Quartzsite there are a bunch of folks transmitting all kinds of stuff, and I've never heard complaints of interference. As to an RV park I've seen a few folks with ham or CB radios but have never heard about any complaints. There are so many ways to reduce or eliminate interference fora conscientious operator that it seems to rarely be a problem.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:18 AM   #3

I haven’t heard or gotten any complaints yet, I’m only running 50w on 2m though with a 6’ fiberglass antenna
Old 02-22-2018, 02:12 PM   #4

"Linear?" What's a "linear?" That some kind of CB lingo?
Deep Water D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 06:25 PM   #5

Hi Guy's

I run a Metron 1000B HF amplifier with an output of ~500 watts. Typically I operate 75 and 40 meter HF. Usually early in the AM (5-7) with a group of guys several of which have met for the last 40 years.

The only time I had an issue (that I know of) was when camping with my family parked close together. The common link between us was some coax connected to a DirecTV dish. I was getting into a cheap stereo speaker system. RF was being picked up by the speaker leads and detected in the stereos finals. Removing the power did not solve the problem, however .001uF caps across the speaker output solved the problem. Also breaking the connection to the satellite dish cured the problem.

Other than that one occasion no other complaints. However most people might think there the interference is coming from aliens as most have never heard a SSB signal being AM detected. I'm sure they would think their stereo was possessed.

It is not hard to spot me at a campground as my HF antenna is very tall.

73 ~ Bill
Bill WA6YBD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground