Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes > CB & Ham Radio
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-15-2007, 06:09 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
On prev post I raised question regarding an antenna on our 2006 Trek. It seems that it is a CB antenna (although I have read comments that indicate it is not very good). The connecter appears to be a RG59 ?? Questions - 1. is there an adaptor that will allow this to be used for a cell phone amplifier? 2. Are the impedance issues such that even with the adaptor, it is unlikely to work in that application? 3. Can the hole in roof, existing cable etc that exists for the CB antenna be be used to install the cell phone antenna. I hate the idea of drilling new holes. Thanks in advance.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2007, 06:09 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
On prev post I raised question regarding an antenna on our 2006 Trek. It seems that it is a CB antenna (although I have read comments that indicate it is not very good). The connecter appears to be a RG59 ?? Questions - 1. is there an adaptor that will allow this to be used for a cell phone amplifier? 2. Are the impedance issues such that even with the adaptor, it is unlikely to work in that application? 3. Can the hole in roof, existing cable etc that exists for the CB antenna be be used to install the cell phone antenna. I hate the idea of drilling new holes. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:01 AM   #3

I was able to get the cell-phone antenna wire out the same hole as the C B antenna then sealed the hole and antenna with silicon.
The C B antenna is on the side of the roof so I made a plate for the cell antenna to get it farther out on the roof and clear the other antennas also glued down with silicon, left a drip loop at the enterance point just incase the seal at the entrance was not perfect.
I wa also able to snake the cell lead in along side the CB wire both are RG 58 here.
Doug13589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 10:39 AM   #4

Do not use a CB antenna for cell phones. They operate on a completely different frequency range, and are incompatible.

Receiving signals is not as critical, most times any antenna will help reception. The problem is when transmitting (sending). The transmit signal, without a properly tuned antenna, will be very weak. There is also a very real chance you could damage your equipment.

Since cell phones are constantly talking/transmitting to the cell phone company (doing handshakes and the like), hooking up a cell phone to a mismatched antenna, even for a short time, is not recommended.
aa6vh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 04:12 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Ray,
There are many different antennas for CB and voive cell phone use. I read your OP to say you would like an external antenna for your cell phone. I purchase all my voice cell phone antennas from Digital Antenna they are outstanding quality and work better than advertised.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote