Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes > CB & Ham Radio
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:41 PM   #29

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have used the Cobra 18 mainly due to the fact it is the only model i saw with a front speaker, all the others is on the bottom. it sounds better that way, plus is was a nice size.

Cobra CBR18WXSTII 40-Channel CB Radio with 10 NOAA Weather Channels
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2013, 07:44 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyVet717 View Post
I'm looking at a Cobra 29 LTD with 10 NOAA weather channels. My only given is the size. I'm going to look at the mounting locations this weekend to see if I need to go smaller. If so, I'll get the Cobra 18. Compact design witty the weather channels. I'll miss having the built in SWR calibration, but an SWR meter well fix that. I'm also using a 5' Firestick antenna mounted to the inside of the hood so there is no need to drill through the MH exterior.
This is good. I would never drill through my MH to mount an antenna. Hubby on the other hand...
Old 05-17-2013, 06:01 AM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
I certainly not complaining about the truckers i have the utmost respect for them and the job they do.Many truckers have helped me out before, and not all truckers use foul language. what i was complaining about was the foul language used by SOME truckers and others on the CB radio. The airwaves are not the right place for that language. maybe I am just old fashioned, but that is how I feel.

Bart Anderson
Old 05-17-2013, 06:29 AM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think a CB is a useful tool. I have a dual band HAM/CB and a dedicated 2M HAM rig in my motorhome. I go down the road on CB CH 19. I find the CB useful for avoiding traffic jams, getting general road or exit services information and to communicate with other drivers.

The last use is the one that many people fail to consider when deciding to CB or Not CB. I've been able to warn other truckers and the occasional RV driver of a problem with their load or vehicle. I also had a trucker alert me of a detached safety chain once.

In discussing CB with other motorhome folks, I've found that many don't fully understand the importance of the squelch control. Most people just turn the squelch up high enough to quiet the background noise. Here is a tip. Unless you want or need to hear transmissions from weak or distant stations, turn the squelch up higher. Turn it up enough so that only strong, usually nearby signals will break the squelch and be heard over your speaker. That way you'll only be hearing what's going on in your near vicinity. This makes monitoring the CB much less aggravating and distracting.

Another good tip is to mount an external speaker next to the driver near ear height. That way you can still hear the audio while keeping it at a level that won't disturb others in your vehicle. The other benefit is the audio quality will be much better than the audio from the (very small) internal speaker in most radios.

CB of today is much different from the 70s but it was never a very disciplined radio service. I say embrace it with all its quirks and use it as you would any other tool. If it isn't doing the job, put it down and use something else. That's why there is an on/off switch.
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:55 AM   #33

Having an RV channel would be a great idea. Advertising it would be a problem. All the major web pages ( Good Sam, Passport, Woodals) and RV stores would have to have a small banner or something, promoting the channel. Who wants to pay for that ? Unless those web sites just put it on there for free.
Pebbles bam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:52 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by majfrizz View Post
I have used the Cobra 18 mainly due to the fact it is the only model i saw with a front speaker, all the others is on the bottom. it sounds better that way, plus is was a nice size.

Cobra CBR18WXSTII 40-Channel CB Radio with 10 NOAA Weather Channels
I looked at this one as well. It is a bit smaller than the 29, and with a cheaper price tag, and the limited space, this may be the unit I go with. Pairing it with a 5.5-6' Firestick should give me just enough clearance over the MH.
ArmyVet717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:59 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by f14av8r View Post
I think a CB is a useful tool. I have a dual band HAM/CB and a dedicated 2M HAM rig in my motorhome. I go down the road on CB CH 19. I find the CB useful for avoiding traffic jams, getting general road or exit services information and to communicate with other drivers.

The last use is the one that many people fail to consider when deciding to CB or Not CB. I've been able to warn other truckers and the occasional RV driver of a problem with their load or vehicle. I also had a trucker alert me of a detached safety chain once.

In discussing CB with other motorhome folks, I've found that many don't fully understand the importance of the squelch control. Most people just turn the squelch up high enough to quiet the background noise. Here is a tip. Unless you want or need to hear transmissions from weak or distant stations, turn the squelch up higher. Turn it up enough so that only strong, usually nearby signals will break the squelch and be heard over your speaker. That way you'll only be hearing what's going on in your near vicinity. This makes monitoring the CB much less aggravating and distracting.

Another good tip is to mount an external speaker next to the driver near ear height. That way you can still hear the audio while keeping it at a level that won't disturb others in your vehicle. The other benefit is the audio quality will be much better than the audio from the (very small) internal speaker in most radios.

CB of today is much different from the 70s but it was never a very disciplined radio service. I say embrace it with all its quirks and use it as you would any other tool. If it isn't doing the job, put it down and use something else. That's why there is an on/off switch.
Well said. I think your right about not understanding, and squelch adjustment its very important. A properly tuned set up will allow for lower squelch and gives the ability to pick up drivers from longer distances. When I lived in Oregon (Portland), the set up in my Jeep was able to pick up a couple of drivers in Northern California clear as day. I always kept it on when on my way to and from work in case another Jeep needed assistance.
ArmyVet717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:11 AM   #36

I have a small Midland CB with a classic Wilson 1000 antenna. They work very well together. I used to have a CB with the NWS weather channels, but it broke. Now we use the wife's magic phone, which can channel the weather radar and warn of inclement weather ahead.

But I digress.

As noted above, the squelch control on a CB stops most of the potty-mouth traffic. This control is vital to me, since I don't use my CB to learn of any social or philosophical or any other type of attitudes of the truckers. I use it to learn of any road conditions in my immediate vicinity or something going wrong with my rig from passing truckers. I return the favor as needed.

For example, last week I was returning from a trip to Key West when a few miles away from Tallahassee on I-10 westbound I saw a burn-damaged bus along with associated rescue equipment in the eastbound lane. The traffic was built up in the eastbound lane for miles. As I was passing the stopped traffic, a voice came on the CB asking which eastbound lane they should be in. I responded with a "left lane" since the damaged bus and associated emergency equipment was occupying the right lane and the traffic was moving slowly by in the left lane. I also told him about the burned bus and the presence of a wrecker among the rescue equipment, implying the traffic situation might improve before too long.

When I'm in such backed-up traffic, I always want to know which lane to get into, especially when in a hard-to-maneuver RV. I hope to get the favor returned some day via my trusty CB radio.
Airstreamer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:51 AM   #37

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pebbles bam View Post
Having an RV channel would be a great idea. Advertising it would be a problem. All the major web pages ( Good Sam, Passport, Woodals) and RV stores would have to have a small banner or something, promoting the channel. Who wants to pay for that ? Unless those web sites just put it on there for free.
This has already been done, but it just never "took off". The RV channel is 13, and if memory serves me correctly, it was started by Good Sam.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:05 PM   #38

Fleetwood Owners Club
Fwiw, in case you are in an area where neither cb or cell work,

You could consider getting a ham license.
I'm in the process of putting both in our mh.
l already have both in the Jeep.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:33 PM   #39

Damon Owners Club
I would not be without CB radio. I agree there are potty mouths now and then, but normal TV is getting just as bad these days. We find thar CB makes sense when traveling

de
WB2IVU
Wb2IVU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:24 PM   #40

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am a firm believer in the power of CHOICES. So I have a cell phone.. I have a CB (Actually 3 of 'em but that's another story.. One is a hand held with out batteries in it.. (Spare) and several assorted ham radios (When all else fails HAM RADIO, or so says the T-Shirt).

Now a proper computer backed up ham radio (The computer can be an app on your smart phone) has about a 99.several nines% chance of being to yell for help though you may have to wait a bit for the chance, Even a hand held FM transceiver in the hands of a Technician class can do it.

My TS-2000, backed with 100 feet of wire and my Extra Class license.. Stands even a better chance. More 9's after the decmil, and less waiting)

How.. Well on VHF/UHF/Microwave where Tehcnicians (And Extras both) are licensed to operate HEIGHT is MIGHT. and OSCAR.. Well He has the HEIGHT (Orbiting Sattelite Carrying Amateur Radio)... The computer app tells you what OSCAR is up there, the uplink and downlink frequencies and the best time to yell.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:35 PM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
Our rig came with a CB, then I bought a hand held which we can use for parking etc. Great for communications, even know when lunch is ready when I go out fishing
chaperon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:59 AM   #42

Gotta have a CB!! How are ya gonna run a CONVOY without it???
I also run on 2 metre Ham Radio etc. It works when all else fails, including Cel Phones...

kb0ou
mohamer is offline   Reply With Quote