Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes > CB & Ham Radio
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-29-2018, 09:11 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonLC View Post
Today a friend and I installed the Cobra 29 LX. We found the power wires, the mount and the antenna coax in the overhead box. More to take apart than we anticipated but easy to hook up once we got access.

Unfortunately it did not work. Being in a large metal pole barn storage shed might be the reason so in a few days I will move it outside and see if that helps.

The radio powers up and the squelch works but nothing can be heard on any CB or weather channel. The SWR readings are way too high and the radio displays a antenna warning message.

Does anyone know what antenna Freightliner uses or who to call for help?
Do not operate the send mode of your radio that high SWR will burn out the finals.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2018, 04:05 PM   #30

Today's test was to put a working CB from a friend's truck in my Verona.

It did not work.

Then we put mine in his truck.

It worked
RonLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 07:21 AM   #31

The antenna has been tuned and the radio works fine when connected directly to it....VSWR 1.1. The problem now is that when the radio is placed back up in the overhead and connected to the coax that runs to the multiplexer and then to the antenna, the numbers go to poop...VSWR of 2.5 and antenna warning is on. Does not Tx or Rx.

The multiplexer in located inside the dash, thus inaccessible without taking it apart. I don't feel comfortable doing that.

My question is: Who has the ultimate responsibility to make the CB antenna system work? My local Freightliner dealer was not helpful and even tried to bill me for checking some of the connections and then blaming the radio.

The antenna mfg, RAMI, sent me several trouble shooting ideas and the bottom line is the multiplexer is either bad or needs to be removed and replaced by two separate antenna systems...CB and AM/FM.

Either the entity who made it or the entity that installed it is responsible and needs to step up. It is a classic case of what it called the Warranty of Merchantability. This warranty guarantees that a product sold to you by a merchant will work when used for its intended purposes

What would you do?
Old 12-10-2018, 11:39 AM   #32

I would go to a CB shop and have them bypass the multiplexer with a dedicated coax. That should lower the VSWR to well below 2.0 and thus turn that antenna warning light off, unless it's not adjusted correctly, in which case the shop can fix that too with the adjustment.

It will cost you a few bucks but you'll get it fixed that way and fixed much better than the others can or will do.
Airstreamer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 01:46 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstreamer6 View Post
I would go to a CB shop and have them bypass the multiplexer with a dedicated coax. That should lower the VSWR to well below 2.0 and thus turn that antenna warning light off, unless it's not adjusted correctly, in which case the shop can fix that too with the adjustment.

It will cost you a few bucks but you'll get it fixed that way and fixed much better than the others can or will do.
I would love to do that. I have searched the Internet for a CB shop. I live in SW Florida. Do you know of one within a reasonable distance? I am not sure that many of them are left.

In the meantime I would like input as to who is responsible (besides me) to make the antenna work.

Is it the antenna company who sold the system to Freightliner?

Is it Freightliner who installed it and sold the chassis to Renegade RV?

Is it Renegade who received a chassis already rigged with an antenna and multiplexer?

Is it the RV dealer who sold me the new unit in October?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Verona LE.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	228642  
Old 12-10-2018, 01:55 PM   #34

Can you check that the antennas are connected to the proper jacks on the multiplexer? I did a search on multiplexers and it looks like some of them can have the connectors mixed up.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:58 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim18655 View Post
Can you check that the antennas are connected to the proper jacks on the multiplexer? I did a search on multiplexers and it looks like some of them can have the connectors mixed up.
I have only one antenna and the multiplexer box is not accessible without taking the dash apart. I don't feel comfortable doing that especially on a brand new unit that is under warranty.
Old 12-10-2018, 03:15 PM   #36

I guess I could have phrased that better. It looks like the lines from the multiplexer to the radios could get mixed up. The ones I saw in the search had BNC connectors on the output wires to the radios. You can't look up from underneath?
Old 12-10-2018, 04:01 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim18655 View Post
I guess I could have phrased that better. It looks like the lines from the multiplexer to the radios could get mixed up. The ones I saw in the search had BNC connectors on the output wires to the radios. You can't look up from underneath?
No, it is high up, screw mounted, behind the Allison transmission gear selector buttons. On my former class A I could see everything up there. This one is a Freghtliner truck dash just as the picture in post #33 shows. Not enough room to feel for it. I was told that the entire dash fascia had to be removed for access.

The multiplexer box picture I got from the antenna vendor shows two inputs each marked "whip" and two outputs...one screw on coax for CB and one RCA type plug for the stereo. It would be hard to mix anything up.

Since I only have one whip, I assume the other input is just lying there.

Thanks
Old 01-05-2019, 03:07 PM   #38

The CB now works with a VSWR of 1.1 and we were able to actually talk to several truckers today. The process involved installing a rubber ducky antenna for the stereo and running a coax directly from the mirror mounted RAMI antenna to the overhead CB radio. We knew that we could get 1.1 VSWR a few weeks ago when we ran the coax from the firewall hard BNC connector through the open window to the CB but had not actually routed the coax inside the dash and up through the A pillar. We achieved this VSWR only after contacting RAMI and telling them that the antenna was not the correct frequency and was showing higher than ideal VSWR on the far end channels. RAMI told us to remove the antenna windings at the top of the antenna 5 turns at time until the VSWR reading was acceptable. After removing 15 turns from the antenna the VSWR was at 1,1.We are still mighty po'ed that a system that uses a poor multiplexer was installed in the first place.
Old 02-04-2019, 11:09 AM   #39

Ron, there are a lot of truckers who struggle with the same thing you have. It seems the big-truck factories treat the CB like Cinderella's stepmother treated her.

The solution is to do exactly what you did: bypass the multi-tasking wires from the factory and run a dedicated coax to a competent antenna with a well-grounded base and tuned via an SWR meter.

Congratulations on your success, and thanks for the follow-up reports!
Airstreamer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 07:27 PM   #40

These are the best guys in FL
Bells CB LLC
aka CAT Enterprises
5051 NE 12th Ave.
Oakland Park, FL. 33334
(954)-771-8161
Hgrace56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 07:29 AM   #41

What did you replace the center mount with? OEM from the dealer or something else?
Thanks
fgburden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 07:44 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgburden View Post
What did you replace the center mount with? OEM from the dealer or something else?
Thanks
Could you be more specific about what you want to know?

Tags
radio