Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes > CB & Ham Radio
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-03-2011, 01:24 PM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Jim

do a search on "CB radio shop texas" don't know which one is closest to you but I know texas has alot of radio stores.

jack
Jack R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2011, 02:25 AM   #16

Thanks Jack.
I found a good selection of radios and accessories at a Pilot truck stop about six miles from me.

jimbo
Old 07-06-2011, 11:20 AM   #17

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Pilot has a good selection, in fact in the past they have had an entirely too good selection (As has TA and a few others) so good the FCC .... Confiscated the illegal ones. and finded the profit out of them. But hey.. That's the way the dollar bounces

By the way.. Since I do not have a driver's door on my Intruder.. I had nothing to my left as I drove but wall.. Wall not really suited to mounting radios.

I took a length of 2x4, Beveled it a bit, stained it a nice color, bolted it to the wall (locating nice strong studs to bolt to) and mounted 3 different radios and some other stuff on it. 2 CB's a Ham (dual band) rig and the button for my True Center stabilizer
Old 07-07-2011, 02:46 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good deals on CBs are available on eBay and at Amazon.
DandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:37 PM   #19

CB use

I use the CB to check with truckers on road and traffic conditions. It is also handy to talk between others when caravaning together. Just be sure to pick another channel so you don't interfere with the truckers. Their job is hard enough without us MHs yapping on their channel.
double-r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:47 PM   #20

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I had a similar question about the use of CBs and after much discussion I made a note to myself that Good Sam uses Channel 13. My thought was "why not all RVers?" The answer was - it isn't necessarily just Good Sam but 13 is a good one for any RVer. After writing a short email to Motorhome Magazine, they responded that they'd like to use my question in an issue. So, after all is said and done it appears that using a CB on 13 & 19 as appropriate may not be something you'd like to do all the time but there are times for monitoring / using the CB.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:21 PM   #21

Good Afternoon, I have a CB on the shelf, it will be going into the coach, never know when I will need it. A good antenna, maybe a little extra power and it will be a useful tool, at times when traveling with others.
Bill
woodworker414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 02:33 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworker414 View Post
A good antenna, maybe a little extra power and it will be a useful tool.

Bill
Your IP address has been linked to your CB. If they even think you are going over the maximum allowable wattage, the CB Police will come and snip your coax. Short. You have been warned.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 03:24 PM   #23

Well that sure takes all the fun out of it.
Bill
woodworker414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 04:03 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a cb and I do drive with it on 19 and the squelch as high as it will go so you've gotta either be running illegal power or real close for me to hear you. I've done this ever since a friend of mine had a friendly trucker notify him that a wheel was coming loose (off) on his toad. He'd had a flat repaired and apparently they had not gotten the lug nuts tightened properly and the wheel was held by only three nuts when he stopped. I doubt there's a TPMS available that will notify you that you're losing a wheel.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:16 PM   #25

Years ago, a bunch of us were going dirt bike riding. I was following Fast Eddie and saw lug nuts bouncing down the freeway. Nice, pretty, chrome ones. I couldn't catch up to him in time. Left rear wheel came off and passed him on the freeway as he ground down his brake drum. I had a CB, but he didn't. Had to unload some bikes as a tow truck hauled him away. Apparently some thug(s) tried to steal his wheels/tires the night before as all the lug nuts were lose. Something must have scared the punk(s) away before they could abscond with the rubber and aluminum. That, or they forgot a jack. Thugs aren't too smart.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 07:32 PM   #26

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have 3 in the cockpit plus a remote receiver with chan 19 capability (Not normlly used for that though)

One on 19
ONe on 13
One on OFF (hand held)
Old 07-23-2011, 08:16 PM   #27

I'm going to be mounting my unused CB in our RV sometime simply because the RVs ready, the CBs available, ....and it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Also, I'm going to start carrying my 2M HAM handietalkie.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:20 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Your IP address has been linked to your CB. If they even think you are going over the maximum allowable wattage, the CB Police will come and snip your coax. Short. You have been warned.
Not to be argumentative but simply realistic.... the 'CB Police' as you stated are much more other citizens on the freq you are tranmistting. HAM has a very good 'policing' community and will take proper action with authorities for wrongful behavior. Unfortunately, that's not NEARLY as true of CB radio. Not to mention that pratically every 18-wheeler and home CB most likely has a little extra something under the radio hood. May not be right but it's the reality.

Tags
radio