Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes > CB & Ham Radio
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:14 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
CB Radio

Was just curious how many of you have a CB radio and if you we're to order a new coach would you get one again.

Thanks Trap
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2011, 09:27 PM   #2

CB or not CB?

Not on the road enough to offer long-time experience, stillanue-b and all that. But, I do go places where cell doesn't work and don't feel good about that. I do like to be prepared for anything I can think of in advance, so yes to cb.

I have one and it talks all the time cell is silent. May be old fashioned, may have some guttermouths now and then, but I'd much rather hear "awww, cr..$5@@!, ya got problems buddy? So where the (%^#$@ are ya, I'll get help asap!" than hear " ".

Question is more about do I want off the shelf watts or do I go for a bigger shout?

am
allegroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:11 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If I ordered a new coach and it was an opton I would not get it.

I installed one just because my coach was equipped with the antennea---but that is just me not being able to stand having the antennae wire hanging there for no reason; seldom used but it has weather channels which I use occassionally.

There are several other recent threads on this subject you may want to search. Many people have and use them from what I gather from other threads.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:35 PM   #4

My used 2004 Sea Breeze came with a Cobra WX * with a weather band. I'll probably turn it on just to see what the truckers are talking about and to check weather, which could get old very quickly.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 04:55 AM   #5

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would not bother any more although my motorhomes in the past have all had CB's. New laws here in Ontario ban the use of hand held devices while driving, cell phones, GPS, MP3 players and although CB's have a grace period until 2013 to allow the development of hands free CB. They were useful at one time but having to filter out all that *#%&@* makes CB more of an agravation than a benefit for me.
bluegrasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 05:14 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Like some above, we use it primarily for "local" weather. Will turn it on for traffic conditions when a "jam" is encountered....
We installed it to prewired Monaco so $129. was probably worth it.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:58 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ordered my coach with antenna so installed a CB and occasionally monitor truckers on 19 primarily for road conditions and/or entertainment.......would estimate my overall usage at less than 5% of the time on the road. Probably wouldn't pay extra for an antenna next time.
DandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:53 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I will continue to run with CB's in the coach and when I next get one the towed for as long as I can.. There are several reasons including the ability to talk to the towed when it's not being towed and is miles away even in places where the cells do the "NO SERVICE" bit.

Though I do not hear much on CB any more,,, When I do, it's been useful.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:31 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
I use mine when there's a traffic backup. Let's me know what's going on and what lane I need to be in to get through. Weather channel is also nice.
SW4UA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:45 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
I also have one with a weather band. I like it for weather and also for traffic. I also don't like the nasty talk but i don't use it that often and feel it is worth the trouble.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:30 AM   #11

Nor'easters Club
Put an all-in-one Cobra 75 in my coach since the manufacturer made sure there was no place to mount an actual CB unit anywhere on or under the dash. Not very useful anymore except to find out what the heck is going on up ahead and how long will we be stuck in it......
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:31 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have one set up with a cigarette lighter adapter and mag mount antenna. It is all stored under the back seat of the truck and has not seen the light of day for over 4 years now. I have another CB on the shelf in the workshop.

i have found no use for one in our travels of late and still remember the foul mouth truck drivers. Much worse with the short haul drivers around the cities.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:02 PM   #13

I have mine setup like Ken has his. I use it every time we hit the road, and around home most times. CB traffic really got busy last month when the tornado took out power and telephone lines West of town. DW doesn't want to hear bad language so I use an ear-bud to listen when she is in the truck. Many time we were very glad to be monitoring ch 19 on the road.
I even relented and opened the Dale Earnhardt Jr. CB box and fixed it up with a cigar plug for power. He's never gonna drive #8 again anyway, and his collector items have tanked.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 01:12 PM   #14

Hi all. I would like to find out where One could purchase a CB to use while traveling and chatting with other RVs. We tried walkie-talkies last year on a trip from dallas to durango but the talkies did not have enough range as we sometimes were separated beyond the talkies range. Used to purchase cbs at wllieworld and the like but havent located any local stores (even Radio Shack) that carry cbs. Any ideas on where to look? Thanks for any thoughts.
Safe travels to all.
Jimbo

Tags
radio