Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes > CB & Ham Radio
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-23-2017, 04:17 PM   #15
Community Administrator

My thoughts exactly. [emoji106]
Quote:
Originally Posted by reese1975 View Post
I believe the cb is still useful. The information provided by truckers in regards to accidents and weather conditions can really be helpful. I would keep one handy just incase. Sometimes the cell strength is bad and the cb can be a great alternative.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2017, 07:31 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBobbo View Post
You're better off with a FRS/GMRS hand held if traveling with another RV. They have a range of 24 miles - better than most CBs can do.

Midland LXT500VP3 22-Channel GMRS with 24-Mile Range

$32 from Amazon and you can use them when walking, etc. around a campground since they are so small and portable.
FRS will not get 24 miles car to car. You will be able to maybe get 1/2 mile at best.

GMRS requires a $70 license for each family. It will allow you to get a more powerful radio with outside antenna. Car to car wild guess of about two miles.

MURS about the same as GMRS but no license needed but a problem that very few radios made for this service.

Amateur radio (ham) requires a fairly simple exam and $15 fee for each operator. Many more options for powerful radios and antennas. Car to car a little further, 2-10 miles. can be 100's of miles if a repeater is used (repeaters generally only found in metropolitan areas.

Next question is who are you going to talk to?
Friends and family while traveling together within 1/2 mile. FRS will work fine.
Strangers you want to get information from or just chat? No to FRS, little more of a chance with MURS or GMRS but still unlikely.
Amateur radio (ham), more likely but you could drive a long way before getting a contact about anything let alone traffic/road information. Very likely to make contacts when using a repeater.

CB though dying may at this time still have more people listening and able to contact on the road than the other radio services. Sounds like most people are giving it up.

I took the ham radio path a few years ago and am happy with the results.
While in the city I live in, I am 100% sure I could make a contact and get help using the local repeater system. If I forget my cell phone I don't feel as vulnerable.

With the advent of cell phones, most radio services are not used as much as they were before which limits the number of people listening and able to respond to road condition calls.

I was able to make many non-repeater contacts and find road information without a repeater while on vacation but when traveling for days, the contacts will still be few and far between. You won't drive down the road and hear constant chatter like you used to on CB.
Old 11-24-2017, 07:50 PM   #17

When traveling in the boondocks where there is limited to absolutely no cell phone coverage CB can end up being a life saver. In rural areas with limited cell phone coverage many local Police and Sheriffs departments still monitor channel 9 for motorists in distress.

On my last trip through rural Georgia and Alabama it was the only way to communicate while on the road in many areas. Make sure the system is tuned to the best match using a known good SWRS Meter in order to get the best reach.

Cell phones only work when there is a tower within a relatively few miles unless the local provider erects a 200 foot super tower with some pretty powerful/expensive equipment on it which is pretty rare especially in a very sparsely populated rural area where there is no money to be made from putting it up.
Old 11-27-2017, 10:24 AM   #18

You have gotten many answers already, for and against a cb. I have a set in my tt and tv. I also carry a hand held. Have used all so they are useful for me. I have been at a few campgrounds that used them as well. Ch 13 rv to rv chat. 19 for traffic. Raunchy language is found everywhere even in a restaurant store or in a church. I like to camp where it is remote so often cell phone is useless. Nice to have an alternative communication around. A lot af the units out there today that have built in weather alert systems built in. Another advantage for me. I will not knock ham or frs gmrs or any other form of communication ideas. Just what works for DW & I. Safe camping and enjoy the day ...
dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 11:01 AM   #19

I have mine on the shelf next to my 8 Track Player. Maybe one day my grandson will take it to the Antiques Road Show.
Old 11-27-2017, 11:16 AM   #20

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnafique View Post

Do many of you use CB radios? I know that channel 9 is for emergencies, however where do the Semi Truck drivers listen and broadcast??

Thanks Much
I always have had a CB, but that is due to my profession, so I still carry and use one.
Universal channels are 9 for emergencies, 19 for truckers, (13, 14 or 15 sometimes 23 for oversize loads)
East/West ch. 19
I-5/US 99/US 97 North/South ch 15/17/19.
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 11:22 AM   #21

I still use it when in a group, traveling together. It is easy and a party line. My preference is 2 meter but you need to be a ham to transmit. There are a lot of areas between here and Alaska or Newfoundland that cell phones are challenged in.
Old 11-27-2017, 11:36 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
CB's are really handy when out of cell range, but both have to be on and working!! Really could have used them a couple of times, but I was the only one with a working CB! Moral of the story is try them out first.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 11:39 AM   #23

CB is still useful. Even more so if you have the antenna checked by a good CB shop, for SWR.
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 11:40 AM   #24

CB's are a personal preference and I consider it another tool for safe traveling. Many times I have been alerted to a x-way situation up ahead that has saved me from a possible panic brake stop. Otherwise, it keeps me alert while driving and aware of my surroundings.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 12:15 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
I have mine on the shelf next to my 8 Track Player. Maybe one day my grandson will take it to the Antiques Road Show.
If you had a 45 rpm record player that you put under a dash it is worth a lot today!
dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 12:21 PM   #26

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Haven't had one since 2002 and haven't really missed it at all. I used to be in REACT and monitored the airwaves years ago but got tired of the trash out there.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 12:21 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyone View Post
If you had a 45 rpm record player that you put under a dash it is worth a lot today!
Holy Cow, I had forgotten about those. I had a 53 Ford with one. It was State of the Art, now its Art.
Didn't work too well on the gravel roads or anytime for that mater, but it was cool.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:14 AM   #28

CB Radio Is it useful to have

I use one for work. Wouldn’t be without it. Not a week goes by it doesn’t save me significant frustration, time or money.

For the private vehicles — TT & TV — I like having communication potential. On the road, or off. I see no reason to assume cell phone service will always work.

Just last year I caught a guy asking for help on the CB. as his phone had died. He was off the main road. I pulled over and used my phone to contact & make arrangements for service.

Many drivers don’t use them if at all nowadays as it’s become difficult to with today’s plastic tractors to achieve worthwhile service. It’s time & effort.

That man told me he’d been asking an hour for help. Bad health and a 105F Texas summer day had kept him from hiking down to main road. Said he’d probably have had to wait till morning once things had cooled and the shop he needed re-opened had I not picked him up.

As a driver you plan for that problem, but no one ever enjoys it.

I’d say that it’s in bad weather a CB is worth the most. Immediate notice of a problem with road surface or wreck.

WAZE etc, aren’t close. Only OK. With CB and 760 Garmin GPS , I dumped the WAZE app as it wasn’t useful. TRUCKERS PATH I use all the time.

There’s more drivers out there than one suspects have radio on and are monitoring. Just may not respond to most of the Bull.

I have a fair amount of gear. But for any given tractor I have about $6-700 in replacement cost of gear installed. (Mainly due to a HAM quality DSP external speaker). I have the same shop do a transceiver alignment and use an antenna analyzer to cover basics (www.claysradioshop.com). Other than that I do my best on vehicle bonding. Www.k0bg.com

There were some really outstanding CB radio setups in TTs in the 1960s and 1970s. My Dad had a Johnson Messenger in his 1975 Silver Streak That was superb. I could pick him up out on the local highway and get to his camping spot easily.

One has an interest or not. If it’s considered like the trouble we go to on so many other things (upgrades) then it’ll pull in some signals when at some locations that are surprising (not skip).

Local truck drivers, especially in groups, can be pretty funny as they wake up and all of them get down the road to the first load of the day.

And there are locals in their cars still in some areas running around on a Friday night, just chattering.

Both are good for local info. Tire dealer. Auto parts on a Sunday. Fish fry at the volunteer fire department. Etc.

As AM radio has been destroyed by corporate greed compared to what it once was, much of that pleasure is gone. After dark long-distance reception from famous stations hundreds of miles away was the challenge with a long wire antenna. That was always fun. Blues out of Memphis. Jazz out of NYC. Western Swing out of Tulsa.

Coming out of Denver and making US-287 then tuning to find, Bill Mack & The Open Road Show from Fort Worth in the dark hours. The faint sounds of home pulling us hither.

But a good AM radio receiver is still, IMO, a “requirement”. There are still local stations to give one the flavor of a local community. Contact info and addresses. Not everything is in the Net.

Consider all of these together. Look into the thing as a whole.

If push came to shove I’d rather have the radios than the TV. I already know from experience their practicality. Throw in a modern Uniden scanner and the pictures complete.

Setting up camp was (is) setting a radio or two. Ready.
Rednax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio