Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes > CB & Ham Radio
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-18-2016, 05:14 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
CB radios, is it dead out there?

I was very excited to get my new CB installed and listen to the chatter while driving. I realize a lot of it is probably garbage but hey, what else am I doing? Much to my surprise, taking I10, to I8 from Phx into San Diego I heard about three quick conversations. I was on channel 19 and surfed around some but still nothing. Is it really that dead out there with the truckers?
relaxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2016, 05:24 PM   #2

CBs are just too 1970s--"10-4 good buddy!" Except for a few old guys trying to hang on to the old days--the rest of us have moved on.....Google will give you all the local traffic info you will ever need with none of the vulgarity........
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 05:36 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Not much highway activity anymore on CB. You will hear truckers providing traffic problem updates, but that's about it. We use CB if traveling with my son in his RV to coordinate the travel. We use CB when off roading with the jeep for inter group communications.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 05:54 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
I turn it on when I hit traffic (even sometimes when using Google Maps...) and will get good information about what lane to travel in to stay clear of the wreck or construction.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 06:01 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Georgie Boy Owners Club
I put one in our rig, and had one in the previous rig. It saved me from plowing into a left lane wreck at night. Now, as we are camping with a group, easier to keep in touch about rest and fuel stops needed. Others in the group saw the value in using it. Will be on ch-13.
Now in a Class C Coachman Leperchaun, trailer towing a 1950 Crosley Station wagon, or a '42 Pick-Up. Member of the Non-Affiliated Camping Group FMCA #F462997 RVM #146 Jon & Ellen
Eyephoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 06:06 PM   #6

what's a CB radio?
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 06:09 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I generally leave mine on all the time. Depending on where I'm at, there will be more conversations than other places. It's usually more active later at night as well, so folks that limit themselves to daytime driving miss out on the longer conversations that occur during the later hours. But again, location counts so you may be in an area where not too many truckers are chatting on them.
bokobird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 11:54 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyephoto View Post
I put one in our rig, and had one in the previous rig. It saved me from plowing into a left lane wreck at night. Now, as we are camping with a group, easier to keep in touch about rest and fuel stops needed. Others in the group saw the value in using it. Will be on ch-13.
We all should start using the CB if you have it. I am wondering what channel the MH community is using. I was traveling on I95 north from Goldfield NV to Tonapah and saw a MH with a fully extended TV antenna going the opposite direction and I had no way of telling him that the first 15 1/2 foot overpass that he was going under was going to take off his antenna and send it into his living room. If we all look out for each other on the roadway we can let the other guy know if there is a problem with his rig, tail lights, headlights, or toad. We could be safer. Just need to know what channel to monitor.
billdreamlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 04:13 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by billdreamlv View Post
We all should start using the CB if you have it. I am wondering what channel the MH community is using. I was traveling on I95 north from Goldfield NV to Tonapah and saw a MH with a fully extended TV antenna going the opposite direction and I had no way of telling him that the first 15 1/2 foot overpass that he was going under was going to take off his antenna and send it into his living room. If we all look out for each other on the roadway we can let the other guy know if there is a problem with his rig, tail lights, headlights, or toad. We could be safer. Just need to know what channel to monitor.
Channel 13
Mike & Karen. 2012 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 34 SBD, Toad is a 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, Copperhead Pearl . Blue Ox base plate with Roadmaster Nighthawk towbar with RVibrake2 Auxiliary Braking System and EEZTIRE TPMS. CHF, rear track bar and Safe T Steer. FMCA Member.
SmokyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 05:26 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Finally took mine out because on a 7k mile trip and for the last 2 years I have surfed 13-19 and only heard occasional truck chatter. Tried 13 several times to communicate with RVer's but know luck. If quick 2 way conversation is needed we just use our hand held wakie talkies now when traveling with friends.

Tags
radio