Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes > CB & Ham Radio
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-19-2018, 09:43 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
For road safety, in some places it has been better than CB because of the further reach of a repeater system. But, just like CB, it's hit or miss.

If you can memorize some stuff, you can get a license. The "tech" level license (entry level) exam question pool changes in July, so either get on the studying now to memorize the answers and test before then, or just look at the info now in order to start understanding the questions and answers knowing that some of the wording of the test will change soon.

https://hamstudy.org/tech2014
1BigMess - Thanks for the link. I actually found one yesterday, https://hamexam.org/exam/12-Technician, and just for fun tried to answer the questions. I missed passing by ONE!

Now admittedly, I did google 2 of the questions as I had no idea, but because of my background I was able to somewhat guess on many of them.

Funny story: My brother who is 5 years older than me, was really into electronics (my Dad had his own TV and Radio repair shop) so it was no wonder the oldest and he really got along and loved nothing more than to flip a TV on it's side and start soldering for a night of entertainment.

One day my brother Jim handed me his Walky-Talky and said to walk down to the end of the block and keep the mic pressed and just talk as he wanted to see what kind of distance his newly built crystal set was capable of receiving.

So down the sidewalk I went talking nonsense the entire way. When I finally got to the end, I let up on the talk button and this guy with a BIG BOOMING VOICE came on and said, "THIS IS THE FCC! YOU ARE IN VIOLATION! GET OFF THE AIR!!!!"

I turned and RAN all the way back to the house! Gave the radio back to Jim and never touched that thing again!!

LOL!
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2018, 09:55 AM   #16

I carry the Yaesu FT60 everywhere I go and download the relay stations for the areas I will travel. HAM will be the last form of communication left in the event of a disaster. You can actually communicate completely across the country through the correct protocol in an emergency. Someone is always listening and it's great for local knowledge.
Funding Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 09:44 PM   #17

For anyone wanting to get a Technician license there is a change in the question pool effective 1 July 2018 so don't get an old manual to study unless you plan to take the exam before June 31st. A two of the best practice testing site are: AA9PW FCC Exam Practice or www.hamstudy.org. I am a volunteer examiner on the west side of Atlanta and those are the sites we recommend. I do testing for ARRL VEC, Laurel VEC and CAVEC. Laurel does not charge for their testing, ARRL charges $15 and CAVEC charges $14. Do a Google search for a test location and date near you for ARRL or Laurel VEC.
Old 05-21-2018, 12:22 PM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugboat View Post
I have been on CB sense 1969 well last week I did it I got my Technician tivket

Congrats. now you need Gear and other stuff. So let me recommend some streaming video to you. NOTE that the only connection I have with these shows is "Viewer".
Ham Nation

Over 350 hour long episodes including a serries of them on building your own 40 (and 80 and 160 meter) AM transmitter (The Pine board Project) Also most weeks there is a prize giveway and there is a 2nd giveaway assoicated with it> FREE gear and stuff Is laways nice.. I have gotten equpment, Antennas, Hats, Shirts, Tote bags and more.. Even a plug in voltmeter something every RVer needs. All by knowing the right answer

and AmateurLogic.TV - Amateur Radio + Technology :. AmateurLogic.TV Show .:

not nearly as many episodes. but George did win an award at Dayton Hamvention a few years back.. George is on both shows. He does the give aways in fact.

Hey, he gave me so much stuff. I figured I needed to give him something. So I nominated him for the award )
Old 06-11-2018, 07:24 AM   #19

Mid Atlantic Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to Tugboat
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Congrats. now you need Gear and other stuff. So let me recommend some streaming video to you. NOTE that the only connection I have with these shows is "Viewer".
Ham Nation

Over 350 hour long episodes including a serries of them on building your own 40 (and 80 and 160 meter) AM transmitter (The Pine board Project) Also most weeks there is a prize giveway and there is a 2nd giveaway assoicated with it> FREE gear and stuff Is laways nice.. I have gotten equpment, Antennas, Hats, Shirts, Tote bags and more.. Even a plug in voltmeter something every RVer needs. All by knowing the right answer

and AmateurLogic.TV - Amateur Radio + Technology :. AmateurLogic.TV Show .:

not nearly as many episodes. but George did win an award at Dayton Hamvention a few years back.. George is on both shows. He does the give aways in fact.

Hey, he gave me so much stuff. I figured I needed to give him something. So I nominated him for the award )
Thank you for the link
Tugboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 11:53 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugboat View Post
I am keeping the CB in my truck for traveling on the road especially for traffic reports.
As for the foul language it is not as bad as it use to be and when it starts turn it off for a few minutes chances are that they will be out of renge quickly
Me too.

If there's a traffic problem I turn on my CB.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00000K2YR
kd7don
tucson.don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 11:05 AM   #21

Mid Atlantic Campers
Carolina Campers
Just got this for my work truck from a friendClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180624_192035981.jpeg
Views:	85
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	208432
Old 06-29-2018, 04:58 AM   #22

Let the Rag Chewing begin.
RVM #104
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 12:24 PM   #23

Mid Atlantic Campers
Carolina Campers
Dasmoeturhead are you a Vagabond and the guy "Ken" that gave me the unit is in Mt City TN