Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes > CB & Ham Radio
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-10-2008, 04:59 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
We are looking at the Cobra 75 WX ST Compact/Remote Mount CB Radio for our 07 Bounder. The antenna and prewiring were installed at the Fleetwood factory. Any comments or issues I must be aware of prior to purchase and installation of this unit?
Thanks,
Thomas
tmar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2008, 04:59 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
We are looking at the Cobra 75 WX ST Compact/Remote Mount CB Radio for our 07 Bounder. The antenna and prewiring were installed at the Fleetwood factory. Any comments or issues I must be aware of prior to purchase and installation of this unit?
Thanks,
Thomas
Old 02-10-2008, 05:49 AM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I'm quite satisfied with mine, but opinions seem to be split 50/50 on this unit.

Perhaps it's not the "best" performing unit out there, but it does everything I want it to do at a reasonable price.

Transmission and receive range is more than adequate for my needs, and the weather radio function works well.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 05:59 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I have a Cobra 75 and it works well.

I use and recommend an external speaker rather than the small internal speaker in the mike.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 06:46 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Even though Fleetwood installed the antenna I'd at least find someone with an SWR meter and check it before trying to transmit, just to play safe.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 07:12 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Even though Fleetwood installed the antenna I'd at least find someone with an SWR meter and check it before trying to transmit, just to play safe. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good point.

My Newmar installed antenna needed tuning after I installed the CB.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:50 AM   #7

I have one and it does what I need it to.It has enough range for me to talk to other rv's traveling with me and for weather reports.I like the small size,main box hides under dash.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 10:20 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
We are leaning heavily toward the Cobra and will have someone check out the antenna before we hit the road. I thought I saw a Midland unit on ebay with similar features...any need for comparison?

I am clueless about the reliability of current offerings in the CB market. The last time I had a CB was in the 70's next to my 8-track player.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:01 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have never been a big fan of the CB's with the controls and speaker all mounted in the mic. I had found that the mic cord tended to be a problem, the mic was heavy and cumbersome and they are harder to get worked on than the standard units.

For the money go with a standard under dash unit. The ones with the weather channels are nice.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 06:26 PM   #10

I've got one and it works fine. I particularly like the scanner built in; not much on CB these days except in the big cities, so scanning finds things going on on any channel.

For sure, get yourself an external antenna. The built in one is ok for the person using it, as long as they are holding it up near their ear, but not very good for anyone else, or if the mike unit is set down.

If you really want the best CB, starting with a fiberglass RV is not your best choice (metal vehicles work with the antenna better). In most RV's the Cobra should be adequate for casual use.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:14 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
I purchased the Cobra as an aftermarket purchase. It works as well or better than any other CB. The radio is a commodity. It is the antenna system (antenna, spring, mount and wire) that makes all the difference. Like posted earlier, have the completed installation checked (SWR) before using.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 06:48 PM   #12

Sorry, get an external *speaker* for the cobra.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:28 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
It's my understanding that tuning the antenna only affects transmission, and just about any antenna will receive fairly well.

Old 02-15-2008, 02:29 PM   #14

Tuning the antenna for transmission will not only provide the best transmission, but more importantly will prevent damage to the transmitter from a serious mismatch.

There is no chance for damage from an untuned antenna during reception, but the 'better' the antenna, the better the reception.

So, sure, 'any' antenna will work for reception, but some won't work very well.