Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes > CB & Ham Radio
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-26-2018, 10:29 AM   #1

EchoLink

Anybody else use this? I just got into it last week, and I'm totally enjoying it. Can't wait to test it out while camping. Seriously all you need is a smartphone, tablet, pc, laptop, or interface a radio to your computer. I've been talking around the world. Its pretty cool. You also need a WIFI cinnwction, and a Ham radio liscense.
For RV use I think its cool, because you don't even need an antenna strung up. You talk just like you would on a 2 meter repeater system or simplex.
Anyway check it out if you haven't already. Download the Echolink software (free) and get on the air.
Maybe we could start our own RV Net .

W4MKC
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2018, 07:01 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have Echolink on my PHones. have used a few times. I would rather use the radio but alas can not always. But Echolink works

Also have RCforb.. If you use RCforb .. Firstr some info
Echolink most stations are "Technician" class

Many on RCforb are General, Advanced and I'm an Extra class.

But on RCforb if you have a General or better search for GYN His in N4) He's very nice (Gosh you're nice) 9amp Friday or 10am Ruesday good times to link intro his radio
Old 05-27-2018, 05:23 AM   #3

I would have to disagree with you Sir. Yes of course there are Technician Class Liscense holders on EchoLink, but there are plenty of General, and Advanced or Extra Class holders as well. I'm sure all the nets, news feeds, Hamvention programs, and all other activities are maintained by knowledgeable people. So what if there are Technicians in the mix. Aren't they Ham operators also? I don't understand your problem with EchoLink.
I will continue to inform people of this very popular program.

Old 05-29-2018, 08:04 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
These are all great tools! This is what is exciting about the ham radio hobby, you can pursue Voice, Digital, Slow Scan TV, IP Connect... etc..
I personally use DMR (Digital Mobile Radio), and have mobile hotspots as well as the capability to connect to any DMR Repeaters in the area. In Iowa (talk group 3119) for example there are 28 repeaters interconnected with over 600 users so you can virtually talk using a handheld radio across the whole state.
2 Meter Analog is good but getting used less and less...
I also use RCForb to connect remotely to my Elecraft K3S back home. Using FT-8 digital mode quite regularly on HF Bands.
My most recent purchase is an Icom 7300 and plan to travel with this using a long wire antenna using a 9:1 unun from my RV. Hoping to "tune out" RF noise using a MFJ 1026 Noise Canceler. I have heard these work quite well in my RV... Will be testing this before I leave for Texas this winter!
And yes, I will be installing a CB to listen to the truckers while driving as I have learned to appreciate the heads up as to why traffic has slowed down.
Enjoy the hobby!
73's Bill.... W0GEN
Old 05-31-2018, 09:43 AM   #5

Bill, let us know how your RV shack works out.
I'm looking into doing kinda the same thing, except I'm going to use our travel trailer.
Good Luck and 73.