Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes > CB & Ham Radio
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-30-2016, 10:31 AM   #99

Vintage RV Owners Club
It might be someone pirated your call.
87Rockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2016, 08:30 PM   #100

I have had a number of confirmation requests on the QRZ logbook and EQSL for contacts I never made. They say the mode was CW or PSK31 and I don't do anything but SSB (learned CW and forgot it years ago) so errors can be made. Some call signs are very hard to understand without hearing them several times and then ask them to QSL. My first call was like that, N8TCZ, without slow pronunciation and phonics it was hard to distinguish each letter, I was happy to get that changed.
Old 10-01-2016, 10:56 AM   #101
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
MYSTERY SOLVED! I finally did what I should have done in the first place!

I tracked him down using Switchboard.com. His listed phone number was not in service, so I found another with the same last name in the same town, who turned out to be his son!

I had a really nice conversation with him yesterday. He is 74 years old, lost his wife a while back, and was bored silly. His son was a Ham operator and convinced his dad that it would be great hobby for him! He loves it, but unfortunately he has Glaucoma, has lost all sight in one eye and most of it in the other!

The reason I got the QSL card was that he got someone's call sign that he had talked with mixed up with mine!

Anyway, we had a good time visiting on the phone!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 05:29 PM   #102

He may be like me and getting oldtimers disease. I figured he got a call written down wrong. I can get the calls written down correctly but then I can't read my own writing.

By the way Joe, has your wife had her back operation? If so, how is she doing? I haven't been following up very good.
Old 10-02-2016, 10:37 AM   #103
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KT4Wextra View Post
He may be like me and getting oldtimers disease. I figured he got a call written down wrong. I can get the calls written down correctly but then I can't read my own writing.

By the way Joe, has your wife had her back operation? If so, how is she doing? I haven't been following up very good.

She had the operation September 22nd. She's in a lot of pain right now. One of the incisions is very red and we're concerned that it may be infected. We're going to the ER this afternoon to check it out! Thanks for asking!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 12:51 PM   #104

DW has a bad back also. We talked to a surgeon and he said it was only a 50/50 chance it would make it better and said he could do it but said he would not advise surgery. We thanked him for his honesty. So it is just pain pills and take it easy. Hope everything is OK.
Old 12-16-2016, 04:15 PM   #105

Looks like my transmitter on the left!

Art, VE7FED, VA7RV

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
How 'bout this cool dude, complete with flat top!

cdnrainbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 04:51 PM   #106

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Below is one of my SWL QSL cards from 1959. I've been looking for these for a couple years. My wife found them in a show box last week. I have 47 of them. Gear was an Allied Radio Ocean Hopper regenerative receiver kit and a 80' long wire at 30'. I was 14 years of age.

-Tom, W3TLN

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 06:36 PM   #107

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One of the very few places where I tell my true age is on PSK-31...

Got my license in 1968.. Novice in the Spring, Technician (C) in the fall.. Then they dropped the "C" (Condi9tional) and added a + (Means the written test I took was General) so in 2006, the year after I got this house on wheels. I wheeled it down near Dayton and did the paper upgrade to General.. I had to show two items to prove I was licenesed before a given date.. one was my 1976 Vehicle Call Sign License plate and it was wrapped in a copy of QST where I'm mentioned (Approval of Life Membership, one of the best deals I ever made) As you know Dayton is in the spring.. I rewarded myself for the UPGRADE with a new HF transceiver.> Well there was a problem with this smarter than many hams Tranceiver.. It could tansmit OUTSIDE the General band (never did but in theory it could happen) So I decided to fix that..

The fix cost a bit less than 15 dollars and required nothing more than a Dollar Store calculator (Still on the card) and a #2 Lead pencile.

Oh, and a bit of effort.

What was the fix... Well the radio WON'T Transmit outside the EXTRA portion of the band. It knows where the band edges are now....

I've been wanting to do that a long time.. So in keeping with the Spring/Fall practice of my original license.. That was Thanksgiving week, 2006,, Got the license about Christmas.