Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes > CB & Ham Radio
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-14-2019, 07:48 AM   #1

Exclamation Ham Radio

Just passed my Tech exam and am wondering if any of the other Hams on this forum have any suggestions for a antenna on a 1994 Damon Challenger MH, would I be better off with a roof mount or would one mounted on the bumper be OK. Also any suggestions for a newbie to Ham who is also a full timer.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2019, 07:51 AM   #2

Almost forgot my radio is a 10 meter Ranger
Old 08-14-2019, 07:53 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Presume you are wanting to work UHF and VHF. Are you wanting to operte it while traveling or just stationary?

Ken
KE5DFR
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 08:09 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Good morning Gypsyjoe. I do 2 meter with a talkie and just its own antenna. I do have a magnetic mount that I bring with me but the MH doesn't have enough metal available to attach to. That being said, while I monitor 146.52, and I have an amateur tag in my rear window, I've had one--repeat one--operator call me as I was going through Columbus, Ohio in bumper-to-bumper traffic. I usually try to write down a few freqs before I leave on a trip and will reach out--and make a connection--once in a while. 73
Old 08-14-2019, 08:33 AM   #5

Travel

Want to be able both while traveling and while stationary, as for knowledge very little. Passed the exam, but have no experience with Ham radio except talking on the CB back when I was a truck driver. Had the same radio back then, but was only used for CB. Figure I need some other antenna than my old 102" whip that I had on my Semi or a antenna tuner of some sort to make it work. I know that would have to be mounted to the bumper, but will buy another antenna if anyone has suggestions for mounting and what kind of antenna I should use.
Old 08-14-2019, 09:26 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Watching this with interest.
2005 42' Country Coach Intrigue Ovation LE "Nairobi" #11868, Cat C-13
Him: USAF, Retired
Her: RN, CPC, CPMA, COC
With Skye the mini-Aussie velocimuncher and Maybelle, her ferocious little half-sister
Jean n Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 09:29 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
IRV2 has a ham radio forum section if anyone is interested. We're a pretty great bunch of folks.

CB & Ham Radio - iRV2 Forums

There will be a lot of web pages, YouTube videos, etc., about all kinds of things, but most people still have lot's of questions. Just ask.
Old 08-14-2019, 11:15 AM   #8

SGC makes antenna tuners. They have diagrams for several suggested antennas. One of them is a loop mounted 18 inches above an RV roof using PVC pipe, with the tuner mounted on the roof. Coax goes down to the rig. You can download manuals free. SGC-230 manual page 22. I have one of the tuners. It works well in my stationary installation with a vertical wire and a counterpoise laying in the grass, plus a ground rod. Over the first winter and spring the counterpoise wires disappeared beneath the thatch!
Mudsock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 03:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
IRV2 has a ham radio forum section if anyone is interested. We're a pretty great bunch of folks.

CB & Ham Radio - iRV2 Forums

There will be a lot of web pages, YouTube videos, etc., about all kinds of things, but most people still have lot's of questions. Just ask.
Sorry I didn't realize there was a place in IRV2 that I should have been posting, I guess I just didn't look around far enough in the forum. thanks for the info!!! Still have the question though should I go for a roof mount or would a bumper mount work using my 102" whip with an antenna tuner? As for getting on the roof I would need something that is a permanent setup as I would have to pay someone to do it as I am handicapped and cannot get up there myself.
Old 08-14-2019, 06:04 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
No need to apologize! I didn't find it for about a month after I joined the forum.

I cannopt speak to your particular vehicle, I can only speak in general terms about antenna placement.

You want to get the antenna as high in the air as is safe and practical. On a motor home going down the road, this is, to some degree neither totally safe nor practical. At some point, the antenna will hit something hanging over the roadway, be it a bridge, tree, or something else.

There are a dozen or more ways to handle this. Mount the antenna so the tip is no higher than anything else mounted on the vehicle, or use a mount that allows you to lower it if needed, or you could even by a motorized mount that will fold the antenna down by pushing a switch.

I know that you are asking about the Ranger 10M radio and antenna setup because it is what you have, but maybe a better project to look into is a cheaper 2M radio and antenna system. You'll find many more other radio operators travelling, working, and recreating on the VHF amateur band every day than you will on 10M.
Old 08-14-2019, 07:10 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
As for 10M operation, look at a HamStick and a mount on the side to get about 1/3 of the antenna above the top of the RV. It will need to be grounded to the RV frame and tuned for the right SWR. Right now, 10M is pretty dead as we are at the low point of the solar cycles. You will gt some openings. It behaves much like CB since it was 11M.

As for VHF (2m) and UHF( 70 CM), you can get a dual band antenna from a number of suppliers....Comet is one.

Look at Cheapham.com and HRO. Also check MTC (Main Trading Co. in Paris Texas.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 09:58 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I consider a 2M/440 dualband radio to be standard equipment for every vehicle I have. In addition to the ham bands most will pick up weather, air and other stuff that's just plain useful when traveling. I'm a big fan of HF mobile in the car but I find driving an RV to be too consuming a task to drive and operate at the same time, so I just keep a portable HF kit in there I deploy when stopped. Being full time it would probably be worthwhile to install a more permanent station so that you don't spend a lot of time setting up and storing equipment. As far as antennas go you're in for a challenge. You don't have any clearance on the roof for any decent HF antenna so the typical installations put it at some angle off of the back, usually secured to the ladder. Grounding to the chassis is usually "good enough" though you tend to pick up all the noisy electronics (converter) unless you run strictly off of battery. The dash mount V/U works well from a basic roof mount mobile antenna so that's what I'd start off with, and work your way into HF as time and motivation permits.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 09:17 AM   #13

Mostly fiberglass class B+/C-.
Not the best way to do it but used a through the glass 2m/70cm antenna.
Larsen KG2/70CXPL
Seems to work fairly well.
Old 08-16-2019, 09:55 PM   #14
NXR

Check out the COMPACtenna. HRO sells them. I'm going to get one for my Class A because it's very short. They do have a 10M version as well: https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-016477 which is only 20" tall. Th 2M/440 one is like 8" tall.

I'm going to put a piece of angle aluminum u-bolted to the rear ladder near the top and mount it to the aluminum. My 12' 6" height precludes an antenna sticking way up and this antenna does not require a flat ground plane underneath it. Apparently it works better with some angled radials, which will work for me.

I had some questions so I looked up the inventor on QRZ and saw he lives in the city next door to me. He responded the next day with answers.

Ray

Tags
ham radio, radio