RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes > CB & Ham Radio
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-07-2019, 08:42 PM   #1

Red face Ham Radio Frequency

Hello! As ham operators travel our nation what freq. is the most common when traveling and does any one monitor our what our 18 wheel friends use as far as ham radios and what frequencies they run or monitor? As I plan for retirement i wish to listen and possibly jaw a bit. Thanks to all.

daco4m is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2019, 09:45 PM   #2

146.520 is the national calling frequency for 2 meters. You may not hear much on it, but you will eventually. I've made contacts it as I travel.

When I'm parked, I usually load some of the local repeaters into the radio and see if I can make contacts motor join nets.

coupevilleDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 11:01 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 11:47 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
2 meters 146.52

Check this page
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

https://rvradionetwork.com/nets.php
Old 04-10-2019, 04:56 PM   #5

There has to be a bunch of us out there, all listening to nothing because nobody has spoken up. I am guilty guilty guilty. Almost always turn it on on 52.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 07:22 PM   #6

I'm monitoring .52 whenever we're on the road. I have it posted on the rear of the rig along with my callsign - figure I travel slower than about everyone else out there so I'm always getting passed - and rather than constantly calling CQ figure others will see the sign and give me a call. BUT...,in something close to 100k miles, I've only had 2 others actually give me a shout... But I shall continue to monitor this coming travel season, too!
ST 73! KB1RKH

2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P, 1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC, 1989-1993 Tents!
Loggenrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 09:13 PM   #7

Well Gang,
Been RVing for oh, maybe 40 years and, a HAM for about 11 years. But, really haven't delved in it that much in those years. But, just recently installed an ICOM 2000 in one of our toads, a '15 Jeep JKUR. It's your basic standard VHF 2 meter rig 'cause I'm just a tech. But, it's good to know there are some other HAMs out there traveling. I'm thinking of putting one in the coach but, I might have to take it to the board (CEO, AKA "Wife") for that one. She already looks at me funny 'cause I put the ICOM in the Jeep after it sitting in my garage cabinet for a few years.

Anyway, as stated, good to know I might actually contact another HAM while traveling some day. Cool! 73's
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 09:24 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I monitor 146.52 when travelling. I've been called on it by other hams, usually something along the lines of "that silver pickup pulling the trailer going (whichever direction) with the black VHF antenna, this is (callsign), are you on 52?" and then we chat for a while.
Old 04-11-2019, 09:32 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I posted this on eHam a while back:

Many call 6.52 a "wasteland" and indeed on long trips I've taken I've heard nary a station over hours of monitoring and calling. It turns out though that many more may be listening but just like a open band with no one talking, no one knows anyone else is there.

Something I've done for the past few years now is run a "6.52 beacon" when I'm on a long trip. It amounts to an MP3 player connected to a baofeng HT with VOX enabled. The MP3 player plays a 20 second CQ followed by a couple minutes of silence, and plays the same file in a loop. The HT only transmits during the CQ so the net result is a 20 second CQ and a couple minutes of receive. In practice this has scared up a far greater number of contacts than monitoring/random calls ever have.

The theory is this. When you're mobile your simplex line of sight might be 5 miles. If you're driving 70 miles an hour you'll cover this distance in under 5 minutes. You could drive into and out of the range of other stations countless times and neither of you knew it, because no one is transmitting. With the "CQ beacon" you're transmitting a call within every line of sight "window". You also increase the odds of catching someone who just turned a radio on. If I hear a call come back I turn off the HT and return the call using my mobile rig with more power and better antenna to maximize the range.

The duty cycle is such that on low power (all you need) the HT runs all day on a single battery and my MP3 player will play over 24 hours, so it becomes a simple toss in the car addition to deploy. It has given me a "new" thing to do while operating mobile on long trips and is a lot of fun to make contacts this way.

Addendum - this is an ideal 2M simplex method for an RV. It's hands free, you just listen for anyone returning your call. You can also put a sign on the back of your RV with your callsign and "monitoring 6.52".

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 12:40 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_K5LXP View Post
I posted this on eHam a while back:

Many call 6.52 a "wasteland" and indeed on long trips I've taken I've heard nary a station over hours of monitoring and calling. It turns out though that many more may be listening but just like a open band with no one talking, no one knows anyone else is there.

Something I've done for the past few years now is run a "6.52 beacon" when I'm on a long trip. It amounts to an MP3 player connected to a baofeng HT with VOX enabled. The MP3 player plays a 20 second CQ followed by a couple minutes of silence, and plays the same file in a loop. The HT only transmits during the CQ so the net result is a 20 second CQ and a couple minutes of receive. In practice this has scared up a far greater number of contacts than monitoring/random calls ever have.

The theory is this. When you're mobile your simplex line of sight might be 5 miles. If you're driving 70 miles an hour you'll cover this distance in under 5 minutes. You could drive into and out of the range of other stations countless times and neither of you knew it, because no one is transmitting. With the "CQ beacon" you're transmitting a call within every line of sight "window". You also increase the odds of catching someone who just turned a radio on. If I hear a call come back I turn off the HT and return the call using my mobile rig with more power and better antenna to maximize the range.

The duty cycle is such that on low power (all you need) the HT runs all day on a single battery and my MP3 player will play over 24 hours, so it becomes a simple toss in the car addition to deploy. It has given me a "new" thing to do while operating mobile on long trips and is a lot of fun to make contacts this way.

Addendum - this is an ideal 2M simplex method for an RV. It's hands free, you just listen for anyone returning your call. You can also put a sign on the back of your RV with your callsign and "monitoring 6.52".

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
Hey Mark,
That sounds outstanding! I'm not a wizard on electronics so, some or most of that stuff you described went waaaaaaay over my head. As I stated earlier, I might be thinking of putting a mobile in the coach. That ought to go over good with the War Department! Anyway, I might be contacting you for some follow up on how your little contact/calling system works and just how I'd maybe do the same.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 05:14 AM   #11

Not many contacts on 146.52 but it does happen.

On the way to and from the eclipse viewing campground we were in traffic jams.
Put out a call both days and got an answer.
Helped get us out of the traffic jam.

Another answered a call from a ham on the top of Mt Washington using an HT.
Made his day.

Another while in Maine at Acadia NP.

APRS has a feature that is supposed to alert you when another ham is on APRS and within RF range.
Still haven't figured out how this works and fewer hams on APRS than 146.52.
Old 04-13-2019, 07:29 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddykern View Post
APRS has a feature that is supposed to alert you when another ham is on APRS and within RF range.
Still haven't figured out how this works and fewer hams on APRS than 146.52.
I've actually gotten several calls on .52 from base stations by shooting an APRS beacon while travelling.
Deep Water D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 08:56 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
I might be thinking of putting a mobile in the coach. That ought to go over good with the War Department!
I've installed radios in every vehicle I've owned my entire life. Mostly for amusement/diversion but there is a safety aspect to it. Out here in the hinterlands there are linked repeater systems that reach many places cell service doesn't. Most places we've camped over the years have no cell coverage but I can easily reach one or more ham repeaters. My XYL is a ham too and we use it to stay in touch around the campground or when I take off on a hike or whatever. Many years ago I was in a multi-car wreck on an icy bridge in rural Maine and I was able to raise a ham over a repeater who called the state police for us. They arrived within minutes, no telling how long we would've waited otherwise. I tend to scan around a lot (since 6.52 is usually quiet...) and just by "reading the mail" (listening to conversations) I pick up details of traffic and weather ahead. Also handy for finding out where the "locals" go for a nice lunch or to find something you're looking for.

Quote:
I might be contacting you for some follow up on how your little contact/calling system works and just how I'd maybe do the same.
No problem, any time. k5lxp~at~arrl.net It's trivially easy to set one of these things up and put it on the air. I've used mine as the 6.52 beacon, as a hidden transmitter and a QST beacon at ham events.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddykern View Post
Part of the problem with the APRS idea is it's simplex so there's the range limitation, and far fewer are monitoring that voice mode than 6.52. So I've stuck with 6.52 and let the APRS percolate separately.

All of this pales to working HF while underway. I haven't installed any HF mobile gear in the RV but have a few decades of passenger car installations and operation. There is always some activity on one band or the other and it really helps wile the time away that would otherwise be lost staring through the windshield.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM

Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ham radio, radio