Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes > CB & Ham Radio
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-30-2017, 10:39 PM   #15

It’s a great hobby to add to RV’ing.

I got my license just over a year ago. I’ve made many new friends and deeply enjoy the hobby for the technical as well as the social aspect.

Best regards,

Dave
W3RTZ
2003 Country Coach Prevost #60479
2019 Ford F150 Toad
dwertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2017, 05:10 PM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thumbs up De w1ik

By ALL MEANS, get your Ham "ticket"---Amateur Radio is a GREAT "co-hobby" to RVing, and a handy addition to your safety gear!

As we Hams say, 73!

---Jim, W1IK

Previous Rig: 1972 Rectrans Discoverer 25 (Dodge M300/413 CID)
surgesound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 08:59 PM   #17

I think the OP lost interest, haven't seen a post since the original one.
Old 11-04-2017, 04:16 AM   #18

Sad. Every time I lose a bit of interest I pick up one of my HT's and contact a few. Picks me up every time.
Old 11-04-2017, 01:15 PM   #19

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
I have not lost it yet, more $$ have left the savings and went into radio equipment. Could not pass up on a couple of deals that came my way.
Old 11-04-2017, 05:13 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KT4Wextra View Post
I think the OP lost interest, haven't seen a post since the original one.
Not really. Just that we are in Branson,MO now and I tried unsuccessfully to contact local folks just before we left. When we get back i will pursue it more aggressively. But we are on the road again in mid December until Feb, so getting serious will probably come after that.

I really want to do it and DW is all in favor of it and buying the gear is not an issue, but just a bad time to be taking courses, etc. hopefully I will be talking to you folks next year and thx for all the info!
Old 11-04-2017, 07:28 PM   #21

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgelesley View Post
Not really. Just that we are in Branson,MO now and I tried unsuccessfully to contact local folks just before we left. When we get back i will pursue it more aggressively. But we are on the road again in mid December until Feb, so getting serious will probably come after that.

I really want to do it and DW is all in favor of it and buying the gear is not an issue, but just a bad time to be taking courses, etc. hopefully I will be talking to you folks next year and thx for all the info!
You can get ready for the test while on the road

HamTestOnline - Ham Radio Exam Courses and Practice Tests
Old 11-05-2017, 11:36 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifemember View Post
You can get ready for the test while on the road

HamTestOnline - Ham Radio Exam Courses and Practice Tests
Great info, it will give me something to focus on during our winter trip. I should have internet nearly all the time. The site looks like it will answer most or al of my questions. Then I should be able to carry on a meaningful conversation with the locals. Thanks!
Old 11-05-2017, 12:07 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Looks like the costs of the course and license is not a lot, so that brings up a few other question. I assume one should start at the lowest level which I guess is amateur radio? What equipment would one need for home and rv use? One set that is portable or should you have separate equipment? Antennas for home and rv use?
Old 11-05-2017, 02:40 PM   #24

As a license test examiner and instructor I would advise you get a manual to study. I am an examiner for ARRL, Laurel VEC, Cavec and W5YI organizations. We recommend you purchase the ARRL study manual that can be bought from Amazon, ($28.45 in print, 19.95 kindle edition) Ebay, Barnes and Noble or a ham radio retailer either in a store or online, Giga Parts comes to mind for that. Another manual is from Gordon West W5YI which a lot of people like but I didn't find it quite as thorough as the ARRL manual. Simply called Ham Radio License Manual 3rd edition for the technician level. Test cost is usually $15 (go to ARRL.org and click on "exams") or if you can locate a exam site that tests for Laurel VEC there is no charge for the exam https://www.laurelvec.com/ . You must pass the Tech level to move up to the General level and pass it to go to Amateur Extra. We had one person get all bent out of shape because he only wanted to get the Extra class, when he was told he had to pass the other exams also, he blew up, called the examiner an elitist bastard, best he didn't get a license with that attitude. You can take sample exams for free, using actual test questions, at http://www.aa9pw.com or http://www.hamstudy.org , both are excellent sites, each time to take the exam it will have different questions, or there are others you can go to that are free.

Equipment costs are as much as you want to spend. You can get a Chinese HT (handy talkie) (and a challenge to program) from Amazon for under $30, better quality radios (Icom, Yaesu, Kenwood) HT's will be in the $125 to $300 range. As a Tech you are restricted to the UHF/VHF frequencies, 6 meters and a portion of 10 meters for Single Side Band, also if you learn code you can operate on a portion of each of the HF (high frequency) bands. HT's are fine for starting out, low power so range will be limited but normally communications is done through a repeater which will greatly extend your range. You may want to look into a mobile radio for 2 meters and 70CM bands (dual band) and then you can find max power ranging from 50 to as much as 70 watts. Costs for a mobile radio will be approximately $250-$350>. Antennas can be a magnetic mount or one that can clamp onto your ladder and be in the $50-$150 range. When you move up to General then you will need to open your wallet a little further with HF rigs from (new) from $800 to $15,000 and antennas $150 to $5,000. Or, find a hamfest (Flea market) and look at purchasing gently used equipment (from a smoke free, pet free user Hi Hi).

Find someone in your local club and get first hand advise and look at hands equipment. If you are traveling and are ready to take the exam check ARRL to see if here is a test site near where you will be. You can test anywhere in the US, Alaska, Hawaii or any us possession.

Good Luck
Marv
KT4W
Old 11-05-2017, 04:22 PM   #25

Started on the limited portion of 10 meters and today am an Extra with 226 confirmed. A great hobby that’s part of my life. 73 DE NU4L.
Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 07:04 PM   #26

NU4L If you are Gus I hope you haven't been on the air recently because your license expired 4 months ago (coming up on 5). If you have been you could get a note from the FCC. It is still in the 2 year grace period but you need to renew. You can't legally transmit until you do. You can do it on line, go here and click on the box that says licensing then go down to were it says renew license then follow the instructions.
http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/index.htm?job=cft&id=amateur&page=cft_renew_amateu r
Old 11-06-2017, 06:18 AM   #27

Please rest assured KT4Wextra. As you have already looked me up, you must have also imagined that with more than 50 years as a licensed ham since first receiving HI8GBG in the late sixties, it would not occur to me to transmit with an expired license. Thank you for your observation and the reference provided none the less.
Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 06:31 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
All I know Ham Radio has been a great hobby for me. Yes, sometimes the interest is not there but it come back after a couple qso's What I get out of it I have to put in to it.
KA7UYZ NRA Endowment Member Retired Fire Service
dnystrom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio