Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes > CB & Ham Radio
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-19-2017, 06:15 PM   #1

handheld CB radio

Any experience with handhelds? Range , etc.?
trebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2017, 06:26 PM   #2

RV channel is 13, but nobody is ever on it. CB's use to be the thing , maybe 40 years ago, but times have changed. When I drove truck alot, I used it all the time, but truck drivers have changed also. Range ? on a good day, and no hills, maybe 10 miles. Cell phones now.
spsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 06:55 PM   #3

I have a handheld that I bought on ebay for under $20, we use it in campgrounds to direct parking, etc. Of course I also have a cab mounted CB also. As to range with a handheld maybe a couple of miles, mine has a hi/lo output power switch that helps to conserve batteries (it uses 8 AA's). I think low output is 1 watt, and high output is 4 watts, default is to low.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 06:57 PM   #4

If your traveling with friends or in a caravan (we did this to Cabo San Lucas) they make conversations very easy. I have one in my motor home and only use it as I mentioned.
tande12506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 05:10 AM   #5

We don’t use CB anymore, but our hand held had better range than the fixed unit I later installed. We now use FRS radios that are smaller and about 3 to 5 mile range between RVs which is enough for us. They are in a charge station plugged into the inverter power, so fully charged and ready to use.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 05:36 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have the Cobra hand held permanently mounted with a Fire Stik antenna.

Range - - couple of miles depending on terrain.

I installed an external speaker and attached it to my dash with Command Strips, the in unit speaker was hard to listen to for me, the external made all the difference.

CBing ain't like the 1970s anymore!!!!! LOL Some chatter on the radio, everynow and again you'll get a decent traffic report, which is why I got one. Rarely a "Smokey" report anymore or a "How's it lookin' over your shoulder?" Man - - I am really showing my age.........good buddy!!!!

With cell phones and radar detectors - CBs are nice to have but not a requirement anymore - like the old days.

Good luck.......

g
Old 10-20-2017, 08:19 AM   #7

I have the Midland hand held 75-822. Tried using it inside the RV to communicate with friends while traveling. Did not work. I could hear friends transmitting but could not get a signal out to them. Even at 200 yards away. Installed an outside antenna, calibrated and can now get quite a bit of range as we roll down the interstates. Not sure of the distance but in a caravan of 13 rigs, the last rig could hear me transmit and I could hear them transmitting. Much happier with an outside antenna.
algolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 02:18 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
To get any range an outside antenna is a "Must." My hand held Cobra worked/works about as good as the installed Cobra's that are in my RV and other vehicles. Good luck with yours.
Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 03:45 PM   #9

I have a hand held Cobra I bought for a caravan trip to AK . It was good for a mile or so.
Served it's purpose for that trip but Have it back in the box now just in case,
Old 10-20-2017, 03:52 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a Cobra handheld, but rarely use it. I mainly bought it for the weather reports and just in case I get stuck in a cell phone dead zone area.
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 03:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmandV View Post
I have a Cobra handheld, but rarely use it. I mainly bought it for the weather reports and just in case I get stuck in a cell phone dead zone area.
The good thing about the Cobra hand held is you can leave the power pac and antenna in place and just unplug the mic.
Old 10-20-2017, 05:53 PM   #12

Hand held units have there place. Good for a couple miles in good radio instances. If you use inside your vehicle metal interferes with the signal. Like the man said before outside antenna yeah. That being said they have their purpose I do have one that I use I also have one in my tow vehicle and in the camper itself. They have been helpful at times and there were good to have. But like said they're not as needed like they used to be things do and have changed over time. Not sure what you're wanting to use it for but I hope if you choose to get one that it works well for you just remember send it up the best way you can which means you might not want the handheld but rather go for a dash mount
dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 10:58 AM   #13

Mid Atlantic Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to Tugboat
Put in a mobile unit if you just need it to park a hand held will work.
If you want it to communicate around the Campground get a FRS they even work good on a cruise ship
My base set up
Click image for larger version

Name:	tapatalk_1486757378235.jpeg
Views:	114
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	180954
My 5th wheel setupClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170603_102230726.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	180955
Tugboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 07:34 PM   #14

Location: Bessemer City, NC AKALake Havasu City, AZaka Laughlin, Nv / aka Fairhope, Al / aka Roseville, Ca
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutt View Post
To get any range an outside antenna is a "Must." My hand held Cobra worked/works about as good as the installed Cobra's that are in my RV and other vehicles. Good luck with yours.
do you think this hand held with included antenna would work at all. i was looking for something portable so i could use in my durango 4wheeling also

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Cobra-Ci...RT50/304346760
Onthehunt49 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio