RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes > CB & Ham Radio
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-13-2016, 02:56 PM   #1

New Coach, antenna options?

Howdy all, think I am having a DSDP 2017 4369 built. Would love to have a 2 meter .70 antenna on the coach. Also a HF set up but what to do about antennas? No metal on roof, No aft ladder on coach. Also, if I am having it built, should I have them run some wire conduits fore and aft? Thanks all!

I do have an Eagle one antenna, but have not tried it yet....

I have several radios, 1c-706 etc, but love my Qyt 8900 thats in my pickup at the moment...

Cheers!

Captned is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2016, 06:36 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have been thinking of doing the same for my coach. I have Yaseu FT-857D that I have sitting around and would like to use it on my travels but every time I start trying to figure it out I don't get much past the planning stages as I not certain how to get the wires in place so I don't screw up something else. I'm leaning towards putting it in my Jeep with some sort of screwdriver antenna. Here is a good site that deals with mobile HF applications that I used for some of my research - KBG.COM It has a section on RV's and Over the road truckers. Having the manufacturer run the power and antenna lines would sure make it easy to get setup and operating. I would lean towards running antenna cable that you supply rather than conduit. Have them run an extra antenna line to the rear bumper area (as opposed to where you are going to mount the antenna) in case you want to put a dipole or some other wire antenna at a campsite. All you got to do is switch antenna connections. Good Luck.

Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 06:27 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Antennas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captned View Post
Howdy all, think I am having a DSDP 2017 4369 built. Would love to have a 2 meter .70 antenna on the coach. Also a HF set up but what to do about antennas? No metal on roof, No aft ladder on coach. Also, if I am having it built, should I have them run some wire conduits fore and aft? Thanks all!

I do have an Eagle one antenna, but have not tried it yet....

I have several radios, 1c-706 etc, but love my Qyt 8900 thats in my pickup at the moment...

Cheers!
Ah yes. Antennas are the major problem. A few thoughts.

I'm a member of the FMCA Amateur Radio Club (FMCA Amateur Radio Chapter :: Home). It's got about 120 members (including the XYL hams), and gathers from time to time at its own periodic meetings around the country, FMCA rallies, and the Orlando Hamcation. The members there are a good source of information on antennas, installation, operating, etc. That's something for you to consider.

I use a portable box with my IC-706MkII-G, the same box I use for field day and other portable operations. For an HF antenna, I've been using a Hamstick dipole that I attach to the flag pole mount on the rear ladder, which gives me good efficiency on 20, 10, and 6 meters, and acceptable operations on 40m. A little write-up on the setup is here: 21-23 March 2014: FMCA ARC Rally. In my prior RVs (trailers), I'd usually just throw a dipole up in the trees, which is still a fallback option if necessary.

I am still working on the 2-meter antenna setup. Right now I'm just using my HT, but my plan is to mount a spare FT-8900R in the motorhome, which will not only give me 2-meters, it will allow me to operate cross-band from my HT. Since a 1/2-wave 2-meter antenna has tolerable efficiency even without a ground plane, I'll probably mount one on the front pillar of the cab, which will make routing the coax easy and keep the height above the roof line within acceptable limits. Here's the type of side mount I have in mind: M-2 MOUNT. I just need to make sure I have enough depth and that the fiberglass in the pillar is strong enough to bear the wind load.

Anyway, hope that helps. I'll follow this thread to see if others have more ideas.

73 Skip K4EAK
SkipRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 06:51 PM   #4

With no metal roof you still have a metal lattice, producing a leaky Faraday cage, that makes a good ground plane.

I had been using a FT100d with the ATAS120a ant. Replaced FT100d with a FT991
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160527_165022[1].jpg
Views:	96
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	128412  
shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 07:22 PM   #5

A screwdriver would also work attached to the trailer hitch when you are stationary. I worked all counties USA with one on my pickup.

de Phil, AA9ZZ
aa9zz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna