Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes > CB & Ham Radio
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-26-2016, 08:18 PM   #1

Our Field Day 2016

https://herbbaldwin.wordpress.com/20...day-june-2016/
herbsells is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2016, 09:07 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbsells View Post
Thanks for the posting and great presentation for your association.
I hope i worked you. I hooked up with the Marinette/Menominee ARC station, W8PIF, 2A, MI., for Field Day this year. I've been inactive on Ham Radio for about 10 years, but saw a notice in the local shopper that the club was putting up a station for FD. I was welcomed with open arms which testifies to how inclusive us Hams are. Got to work 40M and 20M, made lots of contacts and made new friends.
Thanks to all of my new friends in Menominee, MI and Marinette, WI.
A.J. KB7KZ/8
ajpaero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 10:52 PM   #3

Pretty fancy digs. Our club, W7AVM, sets up in a local campground hanging mostly wire antennas in the trees. We have had use of the emergency communications trailer from a nearby fire department for the last couple of years. We helped them design it.

I haven't been able to participate much because I am always involved in another event the same weekend. I was able to visit for the meeting and potluck.

W7DAF
coupevilleDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 02:48 PM   #4

Herb:

Can you tell me about your Eagle One antenna on your mobile home? I am two months into owning a Class A motorhome, and, after retiring at the end of this year, my wife and I are planning to hit the road. I'd like to get an antenna setup easier to use than a Buddipole (they do take a some time to set up), and which I could possibly use to route a cable into the coach.

My specific questions are as follows:

1) Is it easy to attach to the ladder (my coach has a ladder at the rear, just like yours)?
2) What do you do for ground radials, or does the chassis work as the ground (assuming you attach some form of ground strap or the like to the chassis)?
3) How easy is it to raise and lower the Eagle One?
4) When lowered, how high does it jut up above the coach?
5) How do you tune it and on what bands?
6) How well does it work?
7) Was it easy to work the cable into the coach itself?

Thanks for any answers you can give me.

73 de Bernie, KF0QS
BernieCheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 04:43 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our Field Day 2016

Hi Bernie,

I also have a Eagle One antenna. It mounts to and stays on the ladder - no mounting it each time. Mounting brackets are included with the antenna- simple to bolt on. The sections collapse with the tip well below the top of the Motorhome with my ladder placement. Easy to extend (hint - use a small piece of black electrical tape or similar at the joints to keep it from sometime un-extending itself). I have it grounded solidly only to the MH chassis with a single large braided copper cable. I have not tried it with additional radials. I tune it with a LDG tuner - have used the Icom and Kenwood versions.

As to radios I have used Kenwood 480 and Icom 7100. I place the radio unit and tuner in a rear compartment near the antenna so as to have a short RF cable, then have the control head on a long interconnecting cable inside the MH living area.

The setup works well for me. I work mostly 20m and 40m.

Hope this helps,
Vince W6CD
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 06:16 AM   #6

Hi Bernie, as Vince said, the Eagle One stays mounted to the ladder and I too used the braided line supplied with the antenna, ran it inside the engine access door on the rear of my MH and attached it to a frame member holding the radiator. I have not put the rig inside the coach. I have the rig power cable connected to the battery bank with about 12' of power cable so I can set up my rig (Icom-706) on the picnic cable. I install and remove the coax from the antenna (PL-259 connector) each time we move.
herbsells is offline   Reply With Quote