Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes > CB & Ham Radio
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:40 AM   #15

Send a message via Yahoo to BlauMax
Well, congratulations for the start of something fun. Once you get there, there are so many avenues. If you were a nurse, you know what I mean by avenues. Same thing.. different venue.

I started in 1957 as a novice in Louisiana. Couple of my HS buddied decided to do it.. and we had played with some simple electronic stuff. We built a small transmitter that could work from room to room over AM radio.. and decided to see how far we could make it transmit. Put it in a car and we had fun with antennas, etc to up the distance.. Elation.

We all got novice licenses and had fun with crystal controlled transmitters, working different states.. and then came the time to go for General.. study, study, study and up the morse code to better than 13 WPM. We were there. Back then, you had to take the tests at an FCC office.. so we all drove from Baton Rouge to New Orleans. They passed the test, I choked on the code despite the fact that I could do about 17 WPM (Words Per Minute). I got discouraged but kept up the code.

We pulled up stakes and moved to Calif when I graduated.. then my license ran out. One of the guys that worked for me talked me into taking the tech license.. along with another student.. I was working for Univ of Calif at a research facility.. nother story... Well, we both took the test and we both passed the theory and 13 WPM code. Didn't do much on any HF.. but spent a lot of time on 6 Meter SSB. That was a blast.. for me DX (long distance) was from Bodega Bay, CA to San Diego, CA..

Finally got up the gumption go to for my General.. I didn't do much code on 6 M so had to get that back in shape.. boned up on theory and passed the General Exam.. yipee.. Now on to different avenues. I really got hooked on DX after I had my first "other country" besides the US. Japan.. yah hoooo. Lots of Japan.. Then some of the S. Pacific Islands.. both voice and CW (morse code).. was I hooked. In fact, I really improved my CW. Got up to about 30 WPM.. not clean.. but enough to know what the conversation was about. I could send 30 clean.. but not receive it quite that well. I've worked over 130 countries, mostly CW and all states on a few different bands. Some of the countries were worked with my 2 watt HF transceiver. Fun Fun.

There is a ton of different volunteer things you can do.. Public Service work. I worked with the Calif Div of Forestry as, what they call a VIP. Training for emergencies specifically with the DoF. Worked many charity bicycle rides which is great training for emergencies.. and spent a number of days working with the local Department of Emergency Services during local floods, etc.

I haven't been on the air for a few years now.. but, I need to see if I can sell most of my equipment..such as my Linear (2000 watts) and a couple of transceivers and get something small for my RV.. after deciding on what antenna to use. So much............

Good luck and keep on pushing toward the goal.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2011, 10:00 AM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Go for it! If you have a decent memory you can do it easily. It is a lot of fun, kinda neat talking overseas from your motorhome. Oh amateur radio operators are everywhere. I do also suggest that you find a local club to help you out. Maybe even an older fellow that will help you out as a mentor. If memory serves me right QRZ.com ham tests online also.
Good Luck!! De N9ONJ
Old 09-06-2011, 09:09 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
come on in, the water's fine! i still need to install the hf and vhf/uhf rigs in the rv, but it's on the list. btw, under the right conditions you don't need a lot of power. i have worked over 40 countries (including S. Korea and Australia) with 5 watts mobile (voice) and gotten some very nice signal reports.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:51 AM   #18

One of my friends just got his license. Somewhat surprised me. They guy has to call someone to connect a battery in his car. NO electronics or even basic electricity skills.

He just started taking the practice tests online for about a week before. They show you the correct answer when you miss and they are the same questions on the real test. I think he missed one question on the real test.

I should probably get off my behind and get mine as well.
BigV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:39 PM   #19

Really appreciate the encouragement from all of you and thanks again for jumping in and sharing how you did it. What a talented and diverse group of folks in here....GREAT! What has really helped me is the computer building course I took with all that electronic theory and hands on. I really got tired of being at the mercy of the 'guru' @ $$$$ per hour. Haven't bought a 'big box store name brand computer' since. I will post back and let you guys know how I did...pass/fail the good the bad or the ugly!
John
Old 09-07-2011, 01:40 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
One of my friends just got his license. Somewhat surprised me. They guy has to call someone to connect a battery in his car. NO electronics or even basic electricity skills.

He just started taking the practice tests online for about a week before. They show you the correct answer when you miss and they are the same questions on the real test. I think he missed one question on the real test.

I should probably get off my behind and get mine as well.
BigV,
Don't procrastinate, just do it. You know you can and keep us posted.

John
Old 09-10-2011, 09:46 PM   #21

Is this a good learning/practice source?

HamTestOnline™ - Ham Radio Exam Courses
lincoln30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 01:04 AM   #22

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln30 View Post

Excellent source. I'm using it to study for my Amateur Extra license.

They offer a guarantee. If you pass THEIR end of course exam, and flunk the real exam, you'll get a refund on their course fee.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 02:00 AM   #23

National RV Owners Club
QRZ.com has the practice tests and all the info you need.
Good luck.

KC7ZDB
general
greggholmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 02:04 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln30 View Post

I too am using this one for my first Amateur License and plan to take my Technicians and General on the same day. I find it to be excellent. I use the 'Study Portion' as there they have 'Show Me' and how they actually solve the math problems, lots of formulas. Also have 'Text' with full explanation of the theory on the 'test' subjects and questions asked. Easy to learn the material and remember what you learned. I too plan to use it for my Extra License. Highly recommend it.
John
Old 09-11-2011, 10:11 AM   #25
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Do you have to take the Technicians if you are going to take the General?

In my day (1974) you could opt to take any of the tests and if you passed you got that license.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:04 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Do you have to take the Technicians if you are going to take the General?

In my day (1974) you could opt to take any of the tests and if you passed you got that license.
Hi Wayne,
I'm not sure about that. I read somewhere (ARRL Q&A I think) that the cost of the test is $15.00 for the Technicians Exam and if you pass it the VECs will offer you the General Exam 'free'; but it has to be taken at the time you pass the Technicians. I'll ask the VECs when I get there and I'll be ready for either one.......WOW only nine more days till crunch time!

John
Old 09-13-2011, 02:02 PM   #27

Hi,
You might try QRZ.COM for QA's
The xyl (KC9TIW) used these two sites to get her Tech and Gen.
QRZ gives you the correct answer if you get it wrong.
Doug13589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:21 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
You have to pass the Tech in order to take the General.....

ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote