Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes > CB & Ham Radio
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-17-2018, 06:13 AM   #29

I know this post is about 1 year old. Anyone have updates on new radios?

How are the ft 400s working out. We have fusion repeater in my area now.

Would those that own the 400 buy it again?

Thanks
wwron is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2018, 11:00 AM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I did my tech license in Feb this year and my general in late March this year. I found the two tests quite different material and both required about a month (for me anyway) study of separate material. I scored 100% on the tech, missed two on the general. Less study might have gotten me thru but to be sure I studied hard.
Old 02-21-2019, 05:44 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwron View Post
I know this post is about 1 year old. Anyone have updates on new radios?

How are the ft 400s working out. We have fusion repeater in my area now.

Would those that own the 400 buy it again?

Thanks
I have the same question. Will be taking my Tech license soon and have the FTM-400dxr on order. Would be nice to get an HF radio right off, like the FT-857d. Yet even though the FT-857 has HF the FTM-400 has fusion and APRS built right in the radio, plus a really nice screen.
DJHphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 06:01 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJHphoto View Post
I have the same question. Will be taking my Tech license soon and have the FTM-400dxr on order. Would be nice to get an HF radio right off, like the FT-857d. Yet even though the FT-857 has HF the FTM-400 has fusion and APRS built right in the radio, plus a really nice screen.
For analog VHF/UHF I went with the Kenwood TM-D710GA.
It does a great job with APRS if that interests you.

As for digital, I seem to favor D-Star over DMR and I don't have any experience with Fusion.

Waiting for a VHF/UHF with D-Star, APRS.

Study and take your general at the same time.
You will need general to do HF.
Old 04-06-2019, 08:16 PM   #33

I took the General two weeks after the Technician test. Passed the General this afternoon. I will start studying next on the Extra. As the new pack of General test question come out in early July I might wait for those materials. I am a little slow at nearly 78-years old. I find the studying very invigorating. Hopfully and after the Extra test I can work as a volunteer with a local emergency response team.
RCAircraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 09:37 PM   #34

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAircraft View Post
I took the General two weeks after the Technician test. Passed the General this afternoon. I will start studying next on the Extra. As the new pack of General test question come out in early July I might wait for those materials. I am a little slow at nearly 78-years old. I find the studying very invigorating. Hopfully and after the Extra test I can work as a volunteer with a local emergency response team.

Don't wait until you get the Extra before you get involved in the emergency team. You will find that most emergency work is in the tech bands and not so much in the bands that an extra will cover. You only get another 25 with the extra over the general so go for it now.
Old 04-08-2019, 10:41 AM   #35

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Don't wait until you get the Extra before you get involved in the emergency team.
Agreed. Even people with Technician licenses can help with EmComm. All it takes is a desire to help and learn.
Old 08-14-2019, 11:58 AM   #36

Years ago, my 8 year old daughter said, “Mommy, you have your Novice license, but Daddy has his Extra.” He must be really smart. My wife looked at me for a moment and the replied to her, “He really isn’t that smart.”
Within thirty days, she went from Novice to Technician, to General, to Advanced and then to Extra, taking one test per week. All she did was study the ARRL study guides for each test. She took the 20 WPM exam immediately after passing the 13 WPM code exam for General.
Mudsock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 09:24 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudsock View Post
Years ago, my 8 year old daughter said, “Mommy, you have your Novice license, but Daddy has his Extra.” He must be really smart. My wife looked at me for a moment and the replied to her, “He really isn’t that smart.”
Within thirty days, she went from Novice to Technician, to General, to Advanced and then to Extra, taking one test per week. All she did was study the ARRL study guides for each test. She took the 20 WPM exam immediately after passing the 13 WPM code exam for General.
I will have to try that on my wife.
She has planned to take the first test for the last three years.
Old 10-21-2019, 04:18 PM   #38

I studied for a few more weeks and passed the Extra. Now to learn the radios. KE0UWN
Quote:
RCAircraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 11:11 AM   #39

Quote:
I studied for a few more weeks and passed the Extra. Now to learn the radios. KE0UWN
Congratulations.
I have my extra but 99.9% of the time I only use the technician level of VHS/UHF.
Old 10-26-2019, 11:51 AM   #40

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddykern View Post
Congratulations.
I have my extra but 99.9% of the time I only use the technician level of VHS/UHF.
There are a lot of really fun and challenging things to do in 50Mhz and up. There's no shame in not using HF in this hobby.