RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes > CB & Ham Radio
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-31-2017, 09:50 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Tech vs. General

I'm not sure why I started this but I have... It's actually very interesting and fun.

I'm now about 10 hours into my study for the Technician test on June 17th. I'm consistently scoring in the 90% plus range (several 100s). I know the General will be offered at the same time or shortly after the Technician. I assume the Extra is way out of my league at this time.

My question, how much more detailed/involved is the General? Do I study for it or continue to achieve the perfect score on the technician then just take a chance?

I know I have 17 days before testing but I do not have much study time over the next couple weeks.

Thx,
Steve

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2017, 10:21 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevL View Post
I'm not sure why I started this but I have... It's actually very interesting and fun.

I'm now about 10 hours into my study for the Technician test on June 17th. I'm consistently scoring in the 90% plus range (several 100s). I know the General will be offered at the same time or shortly after the Technician. I assume the Extra is way out of my league at this time.

My question, how much more detailed/involved is the General? Do I study for it or continue to achieve the perfect score on the technician then just take a chance?

I know I have 17 days before testing but I do not have much study time over the next couple weeks.

Thx,
Steve
you can find the General test pool questions on line and that will give you a good idea. I'd go ahead and take the general after you pass the tech exam...there's no downside. if you pass then celebrate. if you don't, well, you still have your tech license.

rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 10:31 AM   #3

Ditto. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain. As I remember, getting my general 10 years ago, I think reviewing the frequency edges would be a good thing.

Good luck!

Phil
N7PHL
505 KittyKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 08:32 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Agree, do some quick studying for the general and as said above pay close attention to the band and freq questions.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 12:33 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thank everyone for the advice!

Steve
Old 06-02-2017, 03:39 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm officially horrible above the Technician level...

I took two practise exams at the General level for fun, scored 50% (averaged) on the two exams. Like a deer in headlights! I must study some at the General level to even have a slight chance of passing this.

I'm thinking if you have had some electronic background this would be much easier. I feel like I've learned a lot so far but there is so much more to learn.

Steve
Old 06-02-2017, 07:08 PM   #7

I am a VE (volunteer examiner) and suggest you purchase a study manual so you understand the questions rather than memorize the answers. The easiest place to purchase one is on Amazon. Other places to get manuals are from online Ham vendors, ARRL web site, or sometimes you may find a manual at Barnes & Nobel. Either the ARRL study manual or Gordon West (W5YI) manual. I think the ARRl version gives a little better explanation to the questions. Price will be from $20 for the Kindle version to about $30 for a print version. For the Technician license you will need to get your license before the next question pool change which will be 1 July, 2017 or get a new license manual. If you are comfortable with the Tech study it may be good to take a look at the General exam also. If you pass the Tech exam you can take the General exam at no extra cost during the same session. For the General License make sure you get the manual for the current question pool, 1 July 2015 to 30 June 2018. For study practice we suggest either www.aa9pw.com or www.hamstudy.org. Both give you a different test each time you take it. We have youngsters 10-11 years old get General tickets and occasionally one passes the Amateur Extra. I always attribute the young people being able to pass the exams because there mind is not cluttered with other thoughts like, got to get up early for work, car payment is due, DW is expecting (again) LOL. We have had people that can't read or write or are blind that take the exams and pass so just put your mind to it and pass the Tech exam and don't stop there, keep studying for General and Amateur Extra while you are in the habit of reading the manuals. Check the ARRL web site for possible license study classes, I also assist in study classes 4-5 times year. And, locate a club in your area on the ARRL web site and perhaps get an "Elmer" (mentor) to help with your studies and answer questions you may not understand. I see you are in Columbia SC, there are 2 clubs there with Columbia ARC being the largest, Google them for information and a web site, www.w4cae.com. Their next meeting is this coming Monday at the ETV Building at 7:00pm. Someone in the club may have a manual you can get. We always encourage club memberships and belonging to ARRL, the national ham radio representation organization. One last note. Every year the 4th full weekend in June is National Field Day, a 24 hour marathon, locate the club and join them on that weekend.
There are no extra points for a perfect score on the exam. it is either pass or fail. Just like the person who graduates at the bottom of his class in medical school. You know what they call him ---- Doctor! So just do your best.
Good Luck, Marv - KT4W
Old 06-02-2017, 07:47 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I recommend the Gordon West study guides along with a online flashcard question pool. Best is if you can find a local study class. Taking bith tests back to back is very doable, IMHO.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 09:04 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have been studying for the Tech, I'm slightly informed about some very basics. My first job was installing Motorola FM Transceivers in utility trucks (45 years ago). With that brief exposure I do understand SWR, I know what a PL259 connector is and N connectors along with coax sizes. I understand db gains and losses, electronic noise, and a few other basics.

I play with electric RC planes which helps with the Voltage, Current, and Power portions, that math I know.

I can see if I stand any chance of obtaining the General at the same time I need to get some hours in.

My brother is an electrical engineer by schooling and also holds an Extra license. He wants me to sit down for a few hours a day for like three days discussing this, I'm in!

Thx for the replies,
Steve
Old 06-20-2017, 01:44 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Okay, never found time to study for the general, missed it by three questions. That's okay by me, I need to learn the materials anyway.

Made a 100 on the tech: KN4EAZ

Now looking for my first mobile radio, thinking about this one: YAESU FTM-400XDR Transceivers Mobile Dual Band 2m-70cm, FTM400XDR

Any suggestions or comments? Any other I may want to consider?

Not looking to spend over 8 to $900. for a complete set up.

Was also looking at the Diamond Antenna #SG7900ANMO
Diamond® Antenna ~ SG7900ANMO Dualband Mobile Antenna

Thx!
Steve
Old 06-20-2017, 01:50 PM   #11

I have the Yaesu FTM-400XDR. It's a good radio and very easy to use with the touch screen. And is does Fusion digital if you have any repeaters in your area.

Burch
K4QXX
MetalGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 02:26 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks MetalGator!

We have very few Fusion, we do have a fair amount of D-Star. Being new to all this I'm not sure the benefits of digital?

My understanding is there is no range difference, and with digital you either have reception or you don't.

I understand the clarity.... anything I'm missing?

Thx,
Steve
Old 06-20-2017, 08:21 PM   #13

I have had the FTM400XDR for just over a year and love it. I have used the fusion a little and look forward to when our fusion repeaters come online locally. I also like the APRS. The cross band repeat function has been very useful for events. There a many features I have not used but like having them for future growth.

The separate head was key in my decision. I found the mic cord too short for the radio location but found an extension cable on eBay. In my truck, I just have a dual band mag mount. When I had my MH, I had a dual band mounted on the back luggage rack.
coupevilleDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 07:08 AM   #14

Well if you are going to get your General still I would suggest th FT-857d has your HF and UHF/VHF all in one rig otherwise you will be shopping for yet another rig!!! I will be purchasing said rig for my RV today