RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-29-2018, 10:30 AM   #29

Vince and Susan

You can use mismatched voltage panels but it probably requires two different controllers.

Our son designed and fabricated our Roadtrek with one 315 W and one 100 W panel due to real estate limit on Roadtrek Roof. This requires two controllers and a 12 V nominal LFP (4.5 kW-hr)

Reed and Elaine

Reed Cundiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2018, 11:31 AM   #30
Community Moderator

Reed is correct. We can use mismatch panels in the following conditions -

(1) For series connection, as only as the panels have the same amp rating, regardless their voltages;

(2) For parallel connection, as only as the panels have the same voltage, regardless their amps.

CountryFit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 02:00 AM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed Cundiff View Post
Vince and Susan

You can use mismatched voltage panels but it probably requires two different controllers.

Our son designed and fabricated our Roadtrek with one 315 W and one 100 W panel due to real estate limit on Roadtrek Roof. This requires two controllers and a 12 V nominal LFP (4.5 kW-hr)

Reed and Elaine
The portable setup is used only when the rooftop panels are blocked.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 03:32 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Finally found the prewired wires in the ceiling of the bay with the inverter in it...plenty large enough for the 80V down to the mppt controller. Will run 2’ long 4-0 cables from it to the inverter cables...about the last thing to do. Will be after Christmas before the rig will be out in the sun.
Old 11-08-2018, 01:34 AM   #33

I'm not sure how you plan to test the panel aerodynamics ... or how it's even possible. Worst case is maybe 70 mph rig speed and 50 mph cross winds for a total of 86 mph. Not 86 mph forward speed, but at an angle of about 35 or 40 degrees. The lift the panels generate in a cross wind will be hugely different from a head-on wind, especially so since the panels are tilted.

Then there's driving into a headwind, maybe downhill so you can sustain your speed (unless you have a DP then you probably don't need to be going down hill). Maybe 70 mph for the coach and 30 mph for the headwind. 100 mph total.

And then there are gusts. I could envision well over 100 mph (total of wind and rig) with gusts head-on and over 100 for the cross-wind case.

I've experienced all of the above. I believe my 5er even got up on two wheels once in Wyoming. Very scary. It was sitting at about 10+ degrees to horizontal and we took a gust from the upwind side. I could not watch the 5er, too busy trying to stay on the road. I just know that things got pretty until things settled down. And I have a 6700# truck towing an 8400# 5er. That's a rather large truck to 5er ratio but hasn't kept me from some scary times.

I was going down a mountain once at about 70 and ran into a strong bumpy headwind. My truck is only a gasser so I could not hold 70 into that headwind even going downhill. I did check my panels after that. They were fine but they have sturdy frames and three brackets down each side. And only an inch between the frames and the roof.

Also keep in mind that if you do lose a panel or two, you could hurt somebody and be on the wrong end of a nasty lawsuit.

Please give this a bit more thought.

Edit PS: I don't think comparing a spare tire and a flat pane tells you anything useful even if you did see over 100 mph on that spare tire.
hclarkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:11 AM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
I already knew the aerodynamic of a brick but here is a good wind tunnel test of a bus. Little or no wind at the roof on the front half of the bus. The turbulence at the back concerns me some although my roof is unusual with raised areas at the front and back so not sure if there will be any turbulence at the sunken roof level at the back. I will run a cord that will limit how much a panel can raise up although my bet is the paper test strips will still be under the supports...no uplifting.

Tags
install, solar