Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2017, 06:49 PM   #15

Uni-Solar

Hello,

Over a decade ago, I was one of a few certified Uni-Solar installers in the US. Uni-Solar PV solar modules are the highest performance modules ever made. They still out perform even the best of todays solar modules like Panasonic. But, they are not very efficient; that means they need lots of space.

In order to get 128 watts, you must use a separate MPPT controller. Someone recommended the Bogart SC2030 controller that does not use MPPT. If you do that, you will only get about 55 Watts from your 128 Watt module.

Hope this helps.

Larry
I have a vast knowledge about PV solar, batteries and inverters. I'll try to provide the best answer if I know it and hopefully correct some "Campfire" talk. Full-time 1999-2004. Part time now. '92 Hawkins, 360AH Lithium Battery, 1480 Watts PV solar.
BatteryPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2017, 08:15 AM   #16

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Larry, I am so glad to meet you! We are in Quartzsite now and the solar 272 Watts is not keeping up with the demand. I hate having to run the generator!

So, if I put the 24v panel on it's own MPPT charge controller I can tie it into my batteries separate from the 12v panels Sun Saver charge controller, right? Which MPPT controller would you recommend?

I'm going to climb up today to clean the current panels, but I suspect what is drawing the system down is the small 12v fan that runs 24/7 as part of an improvised humidifier. My monkey can’t breathe well at desert humidity levels.

thank you ever so much for your help! Is there anything else I should know about mixing the panels?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:49 AM   #17

Yes, by using the Uni-solar with a seperate controller you can charge the same battery. The different PV modules will work seperatly with no problem. You will want a 15 amp or above model. There are many low cost controllers now being sold in the US. I prefer quality products like Blue Sky Energy. The 2512i will work for up to 450 watts.

If you have limited roof space consider another brand solar module. One with a low Vmp can be used with a low cost PWM controller like the SunSavers.

Larry
I have a vast knowledge about PV solar, batteries and inverters. I'll try to provide the best answer if I know it and hopefully correct some "Campfire" talk. Full-time 1999-2004. Part time now. '92 Hawkins, 360AH Lithium Battery, 1480 Watts PV solar.
BatteryPro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
panel, solar