Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2018, 07:37 PM   #1

Any thoughts on this solar system plan???

Will be installing a solar system on a 2019 Newmar 3401 Bay Star and would like to some some suggestions or comments about my current idea.

Plan on installing 6 panels alongside the drivers side of the coach that tilt. Will have a solar pre-wire with 6ga wire from the combiner box on the roof going to a bay next to a battery slide out with 4 batteries.

Would 2 strings of 3 panels in series, a Magnum PT100 solar controller, a Magnum 3000w hybrid inverter/charger, ME-ARC display , BMK, and 4 batteries sound about right?

Thanks

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2018, 07:38 PM   #2

whoops add to that a AGS

Daniel
Old 05-23-2018, 09:46 PM   #3

Great start - having a dedicated thread for your plan.

A couple of things that stand out for me:

a) Tilting pairs vs electrically triples
- From other postings you have made, it sounds like the panels will tilt in "pairs", not in "triples"
- There is some chance that some "pairs" will be tilted and others "not tilted" - for example mechanical challenges / failures
- You might also find that it is handy to have some panels facing up to catch noon sun and other panels to catch "late day sun" or "morning sun"

If at all possible, it is better to have the panels electrically match their physical configuration, especially if the panels will be at least partially in series.

Assuming:
- RV size panels - so around 150 - 200 watts each
- 18 volts Vmp
- 2 in series - so around 36 - 38 volts
- 3 sets in parallel - so around 3 x 10 amps = 30 amps.

30 amps in a 6 awg wire is easy with fairly low losses.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:50 PM   #4

b) Long term use = need to work in overcast conditions

- This might not seem that important, but in many cases, it is more important that the panels can create power under a wide variety of weather and sky conditions vs their power rating under perfect conditions.
- There are some panels out there, mostly poly ones, that are optimized for overcast conditions.
- 2 years ago I kind of dismissed the importance of this, but after installing some on a van that is being used along the west coast - even up to Seattle - I am becoming a believer.
- It was kind of amazing to me to watch power being generated on a rainy day.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:50 PM   #5

How many watts are the panels?
Old 05-23-2018, 09:56 PM   #6

c) Inverter
- An inverter that is rated for 3000 watts will often have a surge rating of 4000 watts.
- Correctly wiring for 4000 watts means

4000 watts / 12 volts = about 400 amps

I use really good quality, very flexible wire and this is very difficult to do. We are talking about wire lengths of perhaps 5 - 6 ft max with a very large bend radius. It can be done, it is just approaching silliness is all.

Consider instead to wire your 4 batteries in series to get 24 volts and buy a 24 volt inverter.

This will drop the current to 200 amps and much more manageable 2/0 wire, perhaps even 1/0 wire.

I realize that this is a more complex concept to implement, but it also reduces the cost of some items, such as the charge controller.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:58 PM   #7

d) Batteries

- In order to supply those kinds of currents, as well as charge quickly from the available solar power, consider to use good quality AGM batteries.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:07 PM   #8

It looks like there are two electrical levels for this coach - 30 amp and 50 amp.

Some 50 amp services are 120 vac and some are 240 vac slit phase (like a home)

Do you happen to know what you are getting?

Harry
Old 05-24-2018, 07:49 AM   #9

"Assuming:
- RV size panels - so around 150 - 200 watts each
- 18 volts Vmp
- 2 in series - so around 36 - 38 volts
- 3 sets in parallel - so around 3 x 10 amps = 30 amps."

Nope perhaps I said it wrong. There will be 2 strings of 3 panels in series. In other words three panels will be wired together in series and with 2 wires going to combiner box in parallel. This will be x 2 for each string if I am using that term correctly so there will be a total of 4 wires going into the combiner box and then 2 wires from there 6ga going to the solar controller in the bay next to the batter tray.

As far as tilting goes each panel will be attached to the roof so that each panel can be manually titled. I appreciate the fact that three of the panels will be in series and in parallel so perhaps all three will have to be titled at once.

Yes that means a trip to the roof but I am young enough to do that. Of course tilting is mainly for the winter months but you do get a little more power if you tilt. Hoping tilting will be at a minimum but I like to have options. They can just be all left flat too. Will have to position the coach in the front so it is facing south when tilting. Not sure if there is any benefit to tilting just one string while leaving the other flat or even mixing up the tilts with a string. Future experiment I guess.

Will continue reading the comments.

Daniel
Old 05-24-2018, 08:05 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Consider putting them on the passenger side. When you tilt them for the winter sun you will still be able to enjoy the patio side of your MH and the panels will not be shaded by the AC.
Droski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:19 AM   #11

Ok....

1. I know it is a 50amp service and I believe each leg is 120 but will verify.

2. The wring from the batteries to inverter will be 0 ga wire with lungs so they can be properly attached. I will have these made.

3. AGM batteries at minimum but am also considering lithium which will involve enclosing/modifying the batt tray somehow and adding a 12v fan and more importantly some kind of heater/insulation for when it goes below 32 degrees. The game plan is to avoid such cold temperatures but hey its nature out there.

Another question I have have is I want to have the inverter wired directly to the AC panel with NO sub panel so it can operate all AC systems at my choosing. The bad part about that is the inverter on idle runs at about 3amps x 24 is about 75amps a day without any loads.

Was wondering if there is a way I would be able to turn OFF the inverter in such a system and just use the 12v batteries lets say for overnight use when sleeping. I presume if not I could always run the gen in the morning for 2 hours or so to give a fast charge to the batts and then let solar do its thing during the day with the inveter on. Key for me is to minimize the gen use.

Any thoughts or comments?

As for the panel selection poly or mono I am not sure. Need to have size as a factor. Will have approximately 2 feet with and out of the 34 feet 11 inch coach roof that is available I am thinking of using 30 feet which would give me 60 inch (5 ft) length for the panels. Not sure what volts are available in such sizes but I was thinking 150 to 180 watts for each panel?

It is hard to get a roof picture of the coach but I did manage to take one of a 2018 at the factory last year. Now all I have to do is figure out how to post it here

Daniel
Old 05-24-2018, 08:22 AM   #12

I think I did it....

Daniel
Old 05-24-2018, 08:28 AM   #13

Nope but maybe this will work?

Daniel
Old 05-24-2018, 08:39 AM   #14

Maybe this...yup it worked

This pic has a sat dish which will not be present on my coach. I would like to order it but will have a request to move it to the front of the coach between the driver and pass seats so not to cast ant shadows or omit it.

The other item ion the drivers' side of the roof is a 10w solar panel to charge to chassis battery which will be either moved further up over driver or deleted from the build.

This is what I have to work with as far as panels.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3429.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	204055  

Daniel

Tags
solar