Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Northwood Manufacturing Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2018, 11:16 AM   #1

Arctic Fox 120V Power On Inverter Transfer Switch

I am picking up an Arctic Fox 22G next Friday. I will test all the systems at home take the trailer on a 4 day trip to give it a full check of all systems. I want to do this incase I need to get any warranty work done before modifying my electrical system.

I want to install an Spartan Power 3300 watt inverter/charger with a 30 amp transfer switch. I want the 120 volt breaker panels to be connected to the output of the inverter transfer switch output. I want the 30 amp exterior power cord to be connected to the inverter transfer switch input. This will allow me to use all 120 volt power circuits in the trailer through the transfer switch. When not using the air conditioner and not connected to external I can actually run any thing except the air conditioner off the inverter power. I will have 300 Ah of LiFEPO4 batteries and at least 780 watts of solar power. The three batteries can sustain a 600 amp surge for 30 seconds so it is more than enough to handle the systems 7200 watt surge potential. I will use 4/0 cables, 650 amp bus bars, disconnect switch and large 600 amp fuse to connect the 3 batteries and the inverter. I like the idea of traveling with the propane tanks closed and use the RV refrigerator with power from the inverter.

I want to install my LiFEPO4 batteries and inverter and associated Victron SmartSolar MPPT charge controller in the storage area under the bathroom closet and rear dinette seat. I would run two 8 gauge 120 volt power cables between the inverter and the power distribution area under the oven on the opposite wall of the trailer. I would use a pair of flexible conduits to run the power cables under the trailer.

When I am plugged into to campground power (rare) or my generator my transfer switch will pass the power on to my trailers 120 volt electrical system.

I will remove the stock charger/converter and can use the inverter charger to charge my batteries when on mains power. I will also put in a 60 amp progress dynamics Lithium charger to allow me to use an EU2200 generator at half or less rated power to charge my batteries while running the air conditioner off the inverter. This would save a lot of gas and keep the generator quiet and 1/2 to 1/3 load. The inverter wouldn't have any problem with the 50 locked rotor amps on the 13.5K BTU air conditioner.

Anybody have any reasons on way this wouldn't work as a flexible solar/inverter/battery system?
astrocamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2018, 12:06 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had a Nash 22H and loved it. However it didn't have a generator nor did it have much room for one.

Where is your generator located and what brand/power rating?

How big is the fuel tank and what kind of fuel does it run on?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 12:21 PM   #3

My generator will be a Honda EU2200 and transported under my Leer camper shell in the back of my GMC 2500HD. I think it is just a 1 gallon tank rated for 2200 watt surge and 1800 watts continuous. I want something I can pick up myself. I will carry a 5 gallon gas container in the bed of the truck for refilling.

I go to a few long multi night astronomy events that can get hot for a few hours in the afternoons. Most of my other trips the generator could stay home when I don't plan to use the air conditioning.

Here is a diagram showing my design.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	22G_Power_System.png
Views:	836
Size:	415.2 KB
ID:	199743  
Old 04-20-2018, 12:33 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That's a good generator. Chain that baby down.

The only theft I've seen in a campground was a generator that wasn't chained.

Where are the astronomy events?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 12:42 PM   #5

Smile

sounds good, though I couldn’t comment about whether everything you said is “technically “ correct or not, but it sounds to me like you’re building a high-end diesel pusher
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 12:56 PM   #6

Its only a short no slide couples travel trailer. I do a lot a computer and astronomy related stuff so I want to have all the off grid power I can fit. The system should also be able to work well enough to provide enough power for the low sun winter season.

The battery bank was sized to provide enough parallel amperage to meet peak surge demand. The 300 useable amp hours will be useful when running the furnace in the winter when the solar amp-hours are way down.

600 watts of solar will be on the trailer roof with another 180 watts already mounted on my truck camper shell.

I am estimating about $8000 in parts including wire, connectors, bus bars, breakers, fuse, disconnects, etc. My trailer cost just under $30,000 so it is sizable added initial expense.

My previous trailer is a 5x8 cargo trailer for about $2400 plus about $3000 in solar power, batteries, inverter, MPPT controller, furnace, lighting, fantastic fan etc... We used it for nine years before buying the truck so we could upgrade to the Arctic Fox.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:11 PM   #7

When I go to an astronomy event it is restricted to participants. There are many astronomy telescopes left out unattended that cost much more than my $1000 Honda generator. I will have a 25 cable and lock to secure the generator depending on the situation. If the weather doesn't call for air conditioning it will be inside my Leer camper shell out of view and weather.
Old 04-20-2018, 03:20 PM   #8

astrocamper I cheated and had Starlight install mine on our 35' 5th wheel 2 years ago. It's a little larger than what your planning 1,280w solar, GBS 500ah LiFePo4 batteries , Magnum 3000w hybrid, Magnum PT100 controller but for the purpose of boondocking and getting away from the campgrounds while traveling. We're closing in our 500th day of continuous boondocking with no hookups or campground cost. Everything but the hot water is on a sub panel through the inverter. When needing a hold over charge plug the Honda in, set 15a on loadshare and 100ah charge to the batteries. I'll run it for 2 hours (200ah) good to go.
I have a Honda eu2000i generator and twice last summer when air conditioning (15k) was needed it's as simple as setting the loadshare 15a. With mine I've notice that if I turn the fan for 1-2 minutes first it will turn the compressor over with just a brief flash of the fault light, if trying to just turning the AC on with no warmup it's 50/50 chance it will overload and shut the honda down. *Sooner or later I'll get the micro easy start and add it on to the AC to take care of that hickup. Your probably won't have that issue with a little bigger Honda and smaller AC unit.
Which LiFePo4 batteries are you getting? Will the panels be flat or tiltable?
Once you get the feel for the LiFePo4/ solar and your needs during glamping it will be very very quiet. Meaning that you won't be worrying about the batteries in a partial SoC even if after many weeks of use.
Itinerant1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 03:36 PM   #9

I am envious of your 500 days of boon docking. I have 5-6 years to retirement so my longest stay in the near future will be less than a couple of weeks. I have stayed at an astronomy event for 8 days max. Eventually I need to get some sleep after staying up so many nights in a row.

I will be buying Battle Born Batteries 100 Ah with internal BMS. Rated 100 amp continuous/200 amp 30 second surge. Warranty 3 years and good for 3000-5000 cycles at 100% discharge.

I have been using a pair of T-105 batteries with a 240 watt solar system for the last nine years. My biggest demand was my Engel DC freezer and some infrequent 1000 watt inverter usage for the blender and vacuum. I also ran a pair of laptops, cooled astronomy cameras and mounts. I used a 12 volt evaporative cooler when I needed a break from the heat. It was nice having power with no generator noise.

My panels will flat or maybe a slight slant to the drivers side of the trailer. I will have a port for adding an outboard portable panel that me be useful in the winter time.

I am looking at the Easy Start which would make a huge reduction in my peak surge amps of the system. If I did that I would probably go with a 2000 watt/6000 peak inverter charger instead of the 3300/9900 peak version.

My 21 foot long roof has a lot less real estate for unshadowed solar panels. I am hoping to put a pair of Grape Solar 300 watt 24 volt monocrystaline panels on the roof. I only had a brief look at the roof from the ladder. I will have it home in a week to make accurate measurements of open roof locations.
Old 04-20-2018, 04:09 PM   #10

So you basically know your power usage. It seems folks are happy with the BattleBorn batteries and the customer service seems top notch. I hope the LiFePo4 serve you well and you will notice the fast charging it accepts compared to your old batteries.
This morning at 9:00 my batteries where at 58% (290ah) raining with overcast skies computers charging watching tv, humidifier going enough solar to cover the loads and small boost of charge between cloud breaks. 1400 the clouds clear and the solar is making 70-80a of sweet power... 97% @ 1600 another 30 minutes maybe and the bank is full. Luvin it
Old 04-20-2018, 04:18 PM   #11

Do you use a compress refrigerator will all that power?
Old 04-20-2018, 04:54 PM   #12

Norcold. During the winter with less solar for 4 +/- hours maybe. About a month ago I started switching over to electric in the morning (0800) turn it back to propane 6-7pm. As the days get longer the fridge stays on battery/ solar longer up to 14 hrs+ and still recharge the batteries to full. The Norcold will pull 28a +/-.
Old 04-20-2018, 04:59 PM   #13

Thats great. I was planning on driving on 120V electric/inverter at a minimum and use LP in camp. My 12 or so gallons should last longer than any trip I can take until I retire.
Old 04-20-2018, 05:12 PM   #14

With misc stove/ oven and fridge a 30# propane during winter months it will last 16+/- days. Now with switching it over for longer periods it will last up to 24 +/- days.

Tags
inverter, power, switch, transfer switch