Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2019, 09:34 AM   #1

Battery usage, charging balancing for different types of batteries.

This my be so hard it would be ridiculous to try to do it, but if I had a string of two deep cycle flooded lead acid batteries and a string of two LiFePo4, I can see how easy it would be to run off both.

Is there a device in retail existence today that would let me run down the former to 50% SOC while running the latter down to 80% SOC? And then charging the former at the charge rate it can take and the latter at the much higher charge rate it can take?

This is mostly an exercise for me, not saying I'm about to go to it.

The obvious attractiveness to me is that I've already got two deep cycle lead acid in a place that would be very problematic (dimensions) to put LiFePo4, and I have a good place to add the latter to an interior compartment that would be more temperature stable. But not room for four there, and not wanting to spend for four.
manowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2019, 03:05 AM   #2

When or if the time comes push all the chips in and just get lfp and ditch the lead.
I have seen threads on forums that will keep a lead battery for starting the engine and lfp for house loads but not like how you ask. Never paid to much attention to that set up seeing it's not needed in a 5th wheel. Weight lose of a large battery bank is more important, my 500ah of lfp is 143#. I would think a comparable amount of usable "AH" lead/ agm would be 400-500#. In a class A you might not be to worried about that.
Itinerant1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 06:08 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just having to have two separate converters for the different charge parameters basically negate any advantages you could create. I see way more pitfalls than advantages. I know it’s not always possible,,,but this is one area where the K.I.S.S. principle is a good thing. Keep It Simple...

If you wait...

https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/7937853
Old 01-23-2019, 08:32 AM   #4

You could cobble something together with 2 auto generator start controls and a few solenoids. Set each AGS for your target voltage.

When one AGS sees low volts, it signals one solenoid to open and the other to close thru small relays. The second AGS could sense the second battery banks low volts and start the generator.

Charging can switch it back to battery A, with a battery combiner, voltage sensing relay, set at 13.4 + volts.

Then you need an automatic charger for each bank, to charge them both back up.

Not off the shelf, but a fun project.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 06:09 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Agree with Charlie, better stay KISS. Between FLP and flooded, choose one and make use of it.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:12 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Martin View Post
Just having to have two separate converters for the different charge parameters basically negate any advantages you could create. I see way more pitfalls than advantages.
Basically confirms what I was guessing. Not what I want, but It Is What It Is.
manowell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, battery, charging