RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-20-2019, 11:12 PM   #1

Battle Born Batteries & Alternator

Hello Everyone,

I have a (new to me) 2000 Monaco Dynasty with mostly dead house batteries. I am thinking of adding four the Battle Born Lithium GC2 batteries to replace the four 6v GC2 lead acid "mostly dead" batteries.

My Monaco's 200A alternator goes to a Dual Battery Isolator 200 Amp Model 46160 - then output goes to the Chassis battery & House battery. I believe the charging profiles are close enough. Does anyone know of any problems or issues with a connection like this?

I will be adding Solar with a Victron MPPT Controller that will be my primary way to charge my batteries.

I have also added a Victron BMV-712 to track the battery usage.

My other question is the Motor Home has a Trace Engineering RV2012 inverter. It seems to be working just fine. (I think it might be charging the lead acid batteries a bit strong - but that is just a guess). It is setup for Lead Acid batteries.I can't seem to find any user manuals (Anyone know where one is on-line)? Should I just replace it with a Victron Inverter. Will it do bad things to the batteries with an incorrect charge profile?

Thanks for your help & insight.

Rocketman3

Rocketman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2019, 12:40 AM   #2

The inverter does not charge the batteries. The converter/charger does that. An inverter converts the dc from the battery bank to ac to operate some ac appliance/outlets. Unless you have an updated converter/charger, you'll need to get a new converter that can be reset to a lithium charge profile rather than a flooded cell battery profile. Each type requires a different charging procedure.

Do you have a separate inverter or is it included in the converter/charger. If it's a combined unit, it will be pricey to update.

IBTripping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 03:30 AM   #3

The Trace inverter/charger brand was bought out by Xantrex. You may be able to look on their site for the manuals.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 04:10 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Intellitec has made a gizmo called the Li-BIM. Until something better comes around...I would go with that. Battle Born sells them, check out their website.

You can shorten the life of your Lithium’s if they aren’t charged correctly.

I believe Battle Born asks for customers to supply them with the make and model of charger/Inverter...and they will recommend a setting or tell you it’s not compatible. I wouldn’t do anything to negate their warranty...
Old 03-21-2019, 04:17 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Battle Born Batteries & Alternator

The trace inverters are / were fully adjustable to voltages for each level at least the one I have is. Battleborn has info on the settings for older inverter/ chargers if you dig deep enough in there web site.
I believe The problem comes from the alternator and itís higher charge level . battleborn also has advice and a replacement chassis / coach charging Bird type device since the battleborn has a higher constant voltage your chassis batteries will never be charged by the inverter charger. and How that will work i think is specific to your set up. Perhaps a conversation with them ? I have read they are pretty accessible

A quick google on rv2012 get the Xantrex site and then the discontinued section has owners manuals
BillJinOR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 05:22 AM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
RV 2012 is NOT adjustable, meaning there is no Custom battery Type Setting. This would have allowed you to adjust the charging paraments. So, you would have to replace the MSW to a PSW Inverter/Charger.
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 08:37 AM   #7

I would call Battle Born, they are very helpful, and will recommend a new inverter/charger that works easily with their batteries.

Tags
alternator, batteries