Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2015, 10:00 PM   #1

Battrypro can you set up a system for me.

Hello, I was wondering if you could set up a modest solar system for me. I have recently burnt out my old fridge so I am looking as converting over to a residential system if solar would keep it running all day and night. I currently have an older heart 1700 converter, and an older 80amp wizard charger I think.
Obviously I would not mind making what ever changes I need to do to make this work. I would prefer not having to run the generator to keep the batteries topped off unless we needed to run the air or something like that.

We dry camp in the desert a lot, so full sun up to a week at a time,the one we are looking at is a 10.5cf 120v fridge, I currently have 4 6v house batteries, lcd lighting being installed now. 2 lcd 20" tv's, wireless router, media drive, microwave, coffee pot, 2 furnaces. We can go for about three days on our batteries when we had the LP fridge, we spend most of our time outdoors and watch a little tv at night before bed and plug in out mobile devices to charge.
"Mrs. CC. Magna" 36' 1993 Country Coach, Magna, 300hp Cummins, 5 speed Alison trans, #5016
127,000 miles and counting...
bobioknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2015, 06:09 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I'm pretty sure that "modest" solar and residential refer will not happen.

You might want to at least look at some of these efficient electric refers. The problem is they are very expensive. Either way, if you're going to go residential and solar you're going to have to spend a significant amount of money. If you were to spend the $3,500 dollars to get one of the Sunfrost models (RF16) you would only need about 40amp/hrs per day. If your goal is to be able to last for a week in the desert than you could make this work for sure.

Energy Efficient Refrigerators - SunFrost.com
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 07:28 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
I'm pretty sure that "modest" solar and residential refer will not happen.

You might want to at least look at some of these efficient electric refers. The problem is they are very expensive.

Energy Efficient Refrigerators - SunFrost.com
Thanks and you may be correct, but I had looked at those fridges earlier and they just look way too clunky for me. Like they screwed wood over the top of an ice chest.
"Mrs. CC. Magna" 36' 1993 Country Coach, Magna, 300hp Cummins, 5 speed Alison trans, #5016
Old 12-28-2015, 07:55 AM   #4

Here is Batterypro's (Larry) website.

Home

He's starting his peak season now, as he works while the snowbirds flock to AZ, then him and Debbie head out to play for a few months too!!!

Might be better to toss him a call! And, always fun to check out their site too.

Best,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 08:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
Here is Batterypro's (Larry) website.

Home

He's starting his peak season now, as he works while the snowbirds flock to AZ, then him and Debbie head out to play for a few months too!!!

Might be better to toss him a call! And, always fun to check out their site too.

Best,
Smitty

Thanks, Will do.
Old 12-30-2015, 09:36 AM   #6

Talked with Larry just a few days ago, and can confirm they are very busy. We have an appointment and look forward to having them design and install a system for us.