RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-02-2019, 09:44 AM   #1

Briter vs Lifeline Battery

Thoughts?

2004 Magna 42' 3 slide Chalet CC#6315M
C-15, 515HP 1650tq.
caryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2019, 05:35 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Lifeline makes some of the best AGM batteries available, although I did not have long life out of their large 4D and 8D batteries. They just did not hold up well with constant discharge-recharge. They are also very expensive for an AGM battery. Lifeline 8D AGM batteries are about $700 each.

Briter batteries are Lithium Ion chemistry and in a completely different class. Their entry level battery is $1299, although FMCA has a discount program with Briter. Some other factors are you may have difficulty shipping a Briter battery and your existing Inverter/charger may not be compatible.

Other arguments are the standard differences in AGM and Lithium batteries. You should limit AGM discharge to 50% but Lithium batteries can be discharged much lower.

vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 06:36 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
Lifeline makes some of the best AGM batteries available, although I did not have long life out of their large 4D and 8D batteries. They just did not hold up well with constant discharge-recharge. They are also very expensive for an AGM battery. Lifeline 8D AGM batteries are about $700 each.

Briter batteries are Lithium Ion chemistry and in a completely different class. Their entry level battery is $1299, although FMCA has a discount program with Briter. Some other factors are you may have difficulty shipping a Briter battery and your existing Inverter/charger may not be compatible.

Other arguments are the standard differences in AGM and Lithium batteries. You should limit AGM discharge to 50% but Lithium batteries can be discharged much lower.

Curious why Briter? There are numerous other LFP options (Battleborn, Lifeblue, Relion, etc) that are less expensive (even with the FMCA discount) For example FMCA Briter price is $1199 vs $949 for the equivalent Battleborn. Briter has a 5 yr warranty vs Battleborn's 10 year.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post

Not to get too far off topic here but can we get more info on your lifeline experience? In my limited experience with them i have been pleased and plan to push them to a friend soon unless i learn something otherwise. I have Odyssey AGMs in my own camper, got them second hand from a county agency (not sure what they got used for there). They are now 9yrs old, been in my camper for 5 years and are still going strong.
84prerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 08:54 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Lifeline makes some of the best batteries available. However, to kill a battery all you have to do is lose one cell. The huge diesel size 8D batteries just do not hold up to a constant charge/discharge. The pair of Lifeline 8D's in our Executive did not last three years. A much better choice is the smaller 6v GC2 size batteries connected in series to make a 12v pair. GC2 batteries are made for constant charge/discharge.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 12:56 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If all you had was a House bank and could install them in a climate controlled portion of the coach...Lithium is the way to go.

Unfortunately, we have to worry about heat, cold, and mixing with a combiner relay that stinks at figuring out how to share charge sources between the coach chassis batteries, and house batteries.

It winds up being a very personal decision.

I would love to go Lithium...but there are three major hurdles...

1) Cost. Enormously expensive...aH lifetime costs are supposed to be lower than AGM or FLA, but I have no way to prove that. It’s pretty much an advertisement.

2) Operating environment... Now, I’ll have to heat my battery compartment for winter ops. Not much I can do for hot weather...other than try to avoid it. Both cold and heat are no friend to Lithium.

3) Finding a better solution for a bi-directional relay. I enjoy using my Inverter to run the front air conditioner while on the road. With Flooded Lead Acid and the OEM Battery isolation manager...my solar and alternator do a good job of keeping my batteries at or very near 100% SOC. The intelletec LI-BIM works on a time pattern in order to mix the Lithium with the existing chassis and alternator. Turns out it won’t do a good job while on the road of keeping the house bank charged while running the air conditioning. So, until a better mousetrap comes along...this also throws a wrench in things.

Lithium is great...but many obstacles are in the way for the way I use my batteries.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:57 AM   #7
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
It is my understanding that the Briters must be installed by a Briter service tech at a rate of $100+/hour. That adds substantially to the cost. I just replaced my Costco golf cart batteries. They wouldn’t connect them for me, but they did lift them into the battery box for me and I connected them.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 11:51 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
" The huge diesel size 8D batteries just do not hold up to a constant charge/discharge. The pair of Lifeline 8D's in our Executive did not last three years."

I am running a set of Lifelines for house a one for chassis. I finally replaced them at 12 years as one was beginning to show corrosion around a post and I was able to get a good deal on replacements.

Saying a loss of one cell will kill a battery applies to any battery, not just AGMs

Tags
battery